Epic Games to give away Paragon assets that are worth $12 million

IMG_7196.JPG

Last month, Epic Games announced that they'd be shutting down the servers for their MOBA game Paragon. The end was nigh for the game, with Epic moving the game's staff over to their massively successful title Fortnite, as well as offering refunds for anyone who spent money on the game. However, while the game won't live on, its assets will. The company plans to release character models, voices, and animations along with environments for free to the public for players to use. There's even character animation blueprints, which are useful to game designers that are curious to learn how a AAA studio makes their creations step by step. All of these assets are usable and were designed for Unreal Engine 4, and according to Epic, the contents they'll be giving away cost the studio 12 million dollars to create. There's already some environments that are able to be downloaded on Unreal's official site, while character assets are set to be downloadable for free or commercial use later this summer.

Epic Games has released $12,000,000 of content from Paragon, Epic’s high-end action MOBA, for free to all Unreal Engine 4 developers. The assets, built at a cost of over $12,000,000, encompasses 20 triple-A characters and over 1,500 environment components from Paragon.

All of this content is now available inside the Unreal Engine Marketplace. Download the Paragon packs for free and use them in your own UE4 projects, with no strings attached!

And this isn’t the end of it! Additional characters from Paragon will be released over the coming months.

:arrow: Source

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh I still think that foreskin night is a grubby game but eh. I don't really wish ill on them. Paragon has always kinda been that game no one I knew ever played lol. I am still sad that the single player FN is all microtransation gated and basically pointless.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Instead of giving players just assets, How about you release the server software? huh Epic games. Since your shutting it down you dont care about it anymore. So, let the fans continue it. It wont cost you a thing. Giving the software is the right thing to do.
I'll just go ahead and get every one I know to email them your post, so they see how ungrateful you are and release nothing instead.

Considering legal matters and that many large companies don't even give one shit about preserving a game, this is a huge step to preserving this game. Most companies just kill off the server and forget the game existed and that's it.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yes but we don't have Unreal 3, they didn't make another one after Unreal 2 :(
Unreal 2 was a tech demo. Calling the game "bland" was actually a compliment. Granted, the original Unreal, and the return to Na Pali expansion was (and still is) one of the best single player FPS'es of all time, but still...it just wasn't what the audience wanted. Add to that that single player FPS'es have fallen out of fashion since then and it's only logical that they never attempted another one.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nope. Just saying where is the server software? we can hack the assets out of the game. So the server software is the real asset.
Tied into the engine, I presume. You know...that engine that is epic's bread and butter nowadays.

I also can't follow whatever logic you're using (assuming that it's flawed logic to begin with). If you have the game and the editor, you can export assets like character models, voices and the stuff they're releasing. It's not hacking (heck...it's not even modding). And it's a part of the total of the game. Not "the real asset", which sort of implies that models, blueprints, voices and things are somehow less than that.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"encompasses 20 triple-A characters"
They were doing so well and then go create a nonsense term like that.

Anyway I am all seeing more of this in the future. Normally if it is not straight open sourced (or open sourced with many asterisks attached) we get the opposite with "engine code variously released for use, assets less so" so that is nice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte