Epic Games says that it'll stop pursuing exclusive titles if Valve gives devs more of a cut

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Apr 29, 2019.

1. DarknessPlay3r

DarknessPlay3r Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2019
    Canada
    Epic has been a sustainable business for quite some time now. However this is the first time they have managed success on this level. 88% is laughable, simply due to what's offered for that cut of sales. They missed the boat when it comes to the online store front so now they have to do things like this to build the base on which to stand.

You have to realize Epic doesn't care about the customer once they have their money from them. Which in some ways is true in all business, however Epic has a bad history of doing/saying things that let this fact shine through brightly. In their history they also have a bad habit of treating it's customers like pirate scum that affects actual paying customers. That along with countless other issues leaves people with a bad opinion about Epic as a business that will be distributing games people want.

It's understandable that they want to retain profits to the best of their ability but alienating and pissing off your customer base isn't the way. Take Borderlands 3 for example, a smart play would be to sell it for more on steam (to help compensate for lost revenue) and then put it on sale for less on the Epic store because they own the store front. Choice is always important, no one want's to be forced into anything. Instead they want to force people to choose their store front. To that I say good luck...

2. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    All businesses have to care about the customers or they loose customers. Just pay attention to the complaints here about Epic, or your own points you made and you’ll see why it’s important for a business to care about satisfying the customers.

Getting money and stop caring is a bad strategy if they want any people to continue to use their store front.

3. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Right, it's important.. But not to Sweeney...

4. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    He’s going to have to change if they want to do well. They already have a large user base of 40 million people each month mostly from Fortnite. Which is really impressive for a new store front. They have the attention, they have a good cut for developers, they just need better execution.

Last edited by SG854, Apr 29, 2019
  5. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Seriously? That's your take away? It should be, "EGS is appealing for publishers, repulsive for customers." Buying up third-party exclusives doesn't exactly win you a lot of positive attention from customers. None of the other launcher-storefronts did this, not even EA's Origin, and certainly not Steam.

EGS does not even work in many countries right now. Their 'offline mode' barely functions too, and will kick you out of single-player games if you lose connection. Too many problems to list, really. Epic can't compete with Steam until they can at least compete with Origin, UPlay, Battle.net, etc.

Last edited by Xzi, Apr 29, 2019
    Armadillo and Subtle Demise like this.
  6. Commodore4eva

Commodore4eva Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2018
    United States
    That would be great if Valve takes Epic Games offer or forced condition. However, the share holders and investor's are gonna be against it at Valve. Moreover, Valve will probably offer payment privately which will be rejected by Epic immediately. If NDAs aren't signed Epic will put them on blast for taking that action.

7. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    What logical reason would Valve have to "accept" such an awful bluff? Steam works. It just WORKS. You want a surefire platform where your game can reach a massive audience? Steam. Even Uplay has purchases through Steam as a bit of a proxy. The 12% cut is a bribe at this point and is a sour attempt at undercutting the corporate giants. It wouldn't be so bad, honestly, if Sweeney were truly pro consumer. He's not. Epic is not. Gearbox (Pitchford can choke on it) is not. This has nothing to do with us, the consumer... And EVERYTHING to do with a child hoping to get his way by thrashing around.

This whole drama revolving around the EGS is just a sign of the times.

Last edited by Memoir, Apr 29, 2019
    Subtle Demise, CamulaHikari and Xzi like this.
  8. Raestloz

Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Feb 7, 2008
    Indonesia
    The World of Illusion
    None, there's no logical reason for Valve to do it

Epic is trying to paint themselves as the good guy, that's literally the only reason they'd even say something remotely similar to this. The only weapon Epic has is money, and Epic is desperately trying to make consumers not look at all the FREE features Steam has:

1. Free cloud saves
    2. Working offline mode
    3. Linux support (including Proton)
    4. DualShock 4 support
    5. Game streaming
    6. Family sharing
    7. Mod integration system (Workshop)
    8. Forums, media sharing
    9. Dedicated game download servers
    10. Game versioning
    11. Online multiplayer framework
    12. Online chat

Which is why the only thing Epic ever say is about money. The moment anyone mentions the features Steam has, Epic lost.

Armadillo and Subtle Demise like this.
  9. 71r3n

71r3n GBAtemp Regular

Sep 24, 2011
    Germany
    Haha that comin from E.A? Nah thx, just dont playany game that comes through E.A Store or crack it. Easily done.

Dont get it how ppl even think about this. E.A is a bitch.

10. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    *publishers
    FTFY!

11. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    And to add to that, they're owned by TenCent, which is essentially owned by the Chinese government, who instituted a social credit system. Because fuck free will, amirite?

12. Rolf12

Rolf12 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2019
    Afghanistan
    That's something of a far cry.
    First, that's many steps up the ownership ladder.
    Second, what does anyone who hasn't lived in China know about it other than what English-speaking media says?
    Third, in which country is valve located and how are this countrys ties between corporations and government?

13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    People never learn that more competition on the market is better. Yes, it's mighty convenient to run just one launcher, but you know what's even better than convenience? Not having to deal with a monopoly in the digital retail space. The Epic store came out of nowhere and really stirred the pot, I fully expect them to really improve the overall PC landscape, if only by prodding Valve and forcing them to fix their own store.

14. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    More real competition would be great. Unfortunately, EGS is not competitive with Steam by any measure. And third-party exclusivity severely limits the customer's buying options, it's the opposite of promoting competition.

EGS is what? The eighth or ninth launcher-storefront released that's supposed to dethrone Steam? The only way it's stirring the pot at this point is by driving people to piracy.

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Does it though? I don't think it does. I don't particularly care which icon I have to click to run my game, I only care about getting it cheaper and earlier - EGS fulfills those needs. If you don't want it on your Epic launcher, vote with your wallet and wait for the Steam release, I don't see the problem.

16. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Cheaper, not so much. EGS doesn't allow third-party key redemption, and it seems like they're keeping games at MSRP for as long as possible. They haven't shown any inclination for regular sales like Steam yet, either.

And while you may not care about basic features like library sorting or functioning offline support, these have long ago become standard features for all of EGS' competition. The result of inconveniencing customers is always going to be lost sales.

17. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You didn't catch my drift. Steam and other retailers, by the virtue of having access to the software later, will have to sell it at a discount price. Things like this have to balance out.

18. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    The publishers set the pricing, though. So there are no guarantees in that regard.

19. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    They won't have a choice in this regard but to discount the product if they intend to sell it, no force is stronger than that of the free market. Expect more sales, more bundles and more deals, across the board.

20. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    (2), (5), and (10) are mostly jokes, IMHO. Real "working offline mode" would mean consistently working offline. Epic might be worse is that regard--although so far every free EGS game has worked for me on Linux without EGS. (3) is the best thing so far for me, but it doesn't work well with (1)--cloud saves with Proton are a crapshoot. I can't speak for (4) or (11). (6) is nice in theory but in practice "family sharing" is handled as one giant mutex lock (ie, only you or family can play games in the library) which makes it somewhat worthless (not entirely, but close). (8) and (12) are basically the same thing, and honestly Steam's chat function sucks pretty terribly. Really, Steam's whole UI sucks. (7) is one of the real nice highlights...for the few games that really support it well; for the most part (7) competes against DLC which means it's mostly a non-starter. (9) seems like an odd statement since there's internet wide caching services that I imagine most game stores could use if they don't want to run their own.

Basically, I wouldn't say your list is worthless. It's just, a lot of the list is really subpar in my opinion. I generally dread using Steam as a UI and don't enjoy much of how it functions. Yes, there are much worse interfaces. That's not really saying much. Most of what Steam has is what Facebook has: the network effect. It's never been to me that Steam Client has been especially great. It's just that for a long time there was no one, Steam offered just enough DRM to get buy-in without being onerous, and now we're seeing a lot of other companies trying to usurp it for their own cut. Maybe Netflix would be an even better analogy. Or Microsoft and feature parity. So, I guess as much as I have such a low opinion of Steam Client, I do agree with your list as a whole. *shrug*