Epic Games is set to receive a BAFTA award for their contribution to game development

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 14, 2019 at 5:29 PM.

1. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...

2. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    I remember the Unreal Engine... but Fornite is no innovation... the only truly new is that you can play it online at decent speed and without lag being a problem.

zxr750j likes this.
  3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Unreal 4 is great, I know some 3D artists who are transitioning over to that, but as far as Fortnite goes, meh, pass.

4. dragonslayer7516

dragonslayer7516 Member

Newcomer
    Tuesday
    United States
    First, what do you mean by "Introduced kids to stealing WORLDWIDE" I am very confused on what that is refereeing to. Second, unlike some people I do my research and don't make baseless claims.

My "talking shit like you have a clue what parents do with there kids" comes from 2 angles. One being from the countless articles, interviews, and morning/nigh talk shows damning fortnite for "Making kids violent and not listening to authority" when the parent admits to allowing the kid who is in early elementary to play it for 4-5 hours after school unsupervised until it becomes a problem when moderating to only 1 hour and explaining why killing people is a bad thing and why its a game would solve over 80% of cases. The other is first hand experience. I got lucky as a kid and while I played games like GTA:Vice City while in 2nd grade, my parents were watching me and made sure I understood what was going on and why I should never do that sort of stuff irl and limiting me to 1 hour a day unless I made good grades or other incentives. Also, my step sisters daycare allow the kids to play on ipads with games like fortnite and robloxs installed in a room by them self's without any supervision and when asked why they allowed it they said "It allows us to not have to worry about where they are so we can focus on the babys and the smaller ones". So yes, I do have a clue what parents do. I never said ALL parents do this, but a good majority do and that's the sad truth.

Next on the comment of "The game is shit was always shit Even kids think it is shit". Unless you have heard differently(Which I assume you have), I have yet to hear a kid say fortnite is shit and can't find any article saying that either, only parents. My step sisters love the game, my college roommate loves the game, even my mom likes the game, I however don't like the game. That does not make the game shit, it just means its not for me. Last time I played it was in season 1 release with my roommate and don't intend to pick it back up.

Sorry for the late reply, I was having to hit a deadline for some software. In the future I will try to check more often. If you have any other misconceptions about shitty parenting that is real or a game you think is shit please let me know so I can explain why you are wrong.

5. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    And Pacman made kids take drugs, bounce on walls and chase ghosts. And Tetris made them have a compulsory impulse to keep things in order.

And Super Mario Bros made them eat wild mushrooms and jump on cats and dogs heads.

Nightwish and Ryccardo like this.
  6. dragonslayer7516

dragonslayer7516 Member

Newcomer
    Tuesday
    United States
    That's my point. It's not the games that's the issue it's the parents that allow they kids to play games and get addicted to the point that when they don't have it they don't function right. This isn't a new issue, back in the days of PacMan and Super Mario Bros there were the kids that stayed in there room for 5 hours a day and became dysfunctional. Games do have a negative effect if not put in check at a young age, just like anything will. That's why parents need to supervise and limit play time.

7. zxr750j

zxr750j Member

Newcomer
    Sep 29, 2003
    Netherlands
    I really love Unreal Tournament (going to host a party soon with old friends), and the unreal engine is one of the best "free" 3d design tools out there.

8. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Why am I not surprised to see that this thread is 6 pages long? :P

Now...I can't deny the OP statement: it is certainly a strange and controversial move. An alternative store isn't exactly breaking much new ground. And compared to the influence their engine had (and still has) on the gaming community, it's a weird time as well. It's somewhat like celebrating a fireman who singlehandedly rescued dozens of people from a burning building...and some years later gets a celebration after putting out a barbecue fire (and putting it out in a worse fashion than the neighbor fireman at that). :unsure:

Okay...seen from the industry's perspective, I have no doubt that "8% lower tax margins for developers compared to steam" matters a great deal more than to consumers, but still...if I build a virtual store that only charges 1% of the profits, I doubt I'll get an award for it, for the simple reason that for the money I would gain, I can never compete in terms of quality. And that's where epic's currently at: they charge less, but as such can offer less quality to consumers.

Oh, and...does this news mean that epic is nominated, or is it leaked early that they're going to win it at E3? The way it's framed, it's as if it was already announced they are going to get it. But that confirmation would make the whole award ceremony kind of useless. :unsure:

dragonslayer7516 likes this.
  9. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    Well I lost count of games I played based on the Unreal Engine and Unreal Tournament alone was pretty good back then, let alone their work in the Gears of War series.

On their recent developments, enjoying the competition they brought to the market although they could channel their money in exclusive 1st party titles rather than exclusive 3rd party deals.

10. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    I personally think that award itself goes for all the former contributions, like developing freely available multiplatform engine and similar stuff; it's just unfortunate timing that makes it look like they get award for Epic Store or Fortnite, and from this misunderstanding a lot of the rage in the thread comes from. But that's my interpretation.

11. murdersbane

murdersbane Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2016
    United States
    Everytime I see you in comments your always spouting fake crap

Their launcher isn't malware... At all.

And TBH Id support epic over steam ANY DAY OF THE WEEK... As valve allows and encourages stalking and harrasment.... Aka steam is a toxic waste dump.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

What community??? The dude is right Linux is a massive joke... And accounts for LESS THEN 1% OF STEAM USERS...

People make fun of Macs for not being used for gaming but Macs have over 500% more people then Linux... Yet we can't make fun of poor Linux users?

12. Zaiphon

Zaiphon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Yes it even stole my left Kidney.
    And who allowed you to call me a Random Internet Fool?
    Did i called you a Degenerate Parent?
    No i didnt so keep your snowflake feels to yourself please.

Apparently you care, otherwise you wouldnt reply.
    And that from someone who has 3 kids, acts on the Internet smart and strong.
    Poor kids having a Internet Warrior Parent that in IRL demands to speak the manager in every Store.

Cant expect much from a furry *Shrug*.

Last edited by Zaiphon, May 16, 2019 at 12:16 PM
  13. Obveron

Obveron GBAtemp Fan

Jul 5, 2010
    Canada
    The unreal engine editor has been a great development tool for the better part of two decades. A modder's delight.
    Yes, I get the Fortnite hate, but alot of people enjoy the game. The Epic storefront controversy is interesting, and I don't like Epic's business tactics to prop it up. but I can't say it's any different from the tactics used by other gaming corporations. buying exclusive IP rights has been a de-facto tactic in game publishing and since conception.
    I remember the days when Steam first started and people were upset, myself included, that installing straight from the game files was being replaced by a digital storefront. Valve aggressively pushed their platform and created a monopoly as a digital game vendor on PC.
    I get the backlash from the aggressive nature of Epic's push into this market, but ultimately it's nothing new or surprising.

14. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    WhiteMaze is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 16, 2013
    Portugal
    Epic Games is not free of controversy, much like any other large corporation.

However, they are single-handedly slapping Valve in the face, with their consumer and developer friendly platform.

Valve has held a virtual Monopoly in PC gaming for far too long. I hope they continue to bleed both costumers and developers, so they wake up and start being more pro-consumer. The more competition Steam faces, the better it will be for all of us.

Last edited by WhiteMaze, May 16, 2019 at 3:03 PM
  15. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Oh shut up. Go back to sucking Tim Sweeney's ePeen since you love him so much.

Cool story, bro.

Now I have two people I can gladly ignore.

Last edited by the_randomizer, May 16, 2019 at 3:33 PM
  16. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    TOO many people got mind washed, people shall sub to T-series

kappa

17. Owenge

Owenge GbaTemp browser

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    ◤__◥
    Why’d you quote me?

18. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Consumer friendly? Wake me when they add and enforce basic security functions.

I can look past their bully tactics.. As I've enjoyed how simple their launcher actually is. Finally played Exodus.. But I've already had my account jacked.

Last edited by Memoir, May 16, 2019 at 5:00 PM
    the_randomizer likes this.
  19. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's scalie trash

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    This whole thread and its replies are the sole reason to stay away from the internet, maybe make yourself a sandwich, and take a good nap so you could wake up less irritated.

codezer0 and the_randomizer like this.
  20. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Wow, sounds like Epic games has some top-notch people working in their IT department :creep: :lol:
    Well at least you're not being a whiny inept coward toward someone based off the profile pic they have, unlike someone on here. :ph34r:

Last edited by the_randomizer, May 16, 2019 at 5:27 PM