Epic Games is set to receive a BAFTA award for their contribution to game development

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 14, 2019.

1. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I wonder how much it cost them to get the rights to this award

2. SkittleDash

SkittleDash GBANep

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    Steam... Please for the love of all that's holy step up and kill them. Just taking 10% is a fucking mountain of cash in your pocket. Strike while your iron is still hot.

3. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

GBAtemp Patron
    MarkDarkness is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    This does not seem bought at all, compeltely legitimate, nothing to see here kids!

4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I don't care that they made UE4, that's all well and good, but their making one of the most universally used game engines doesn't excuse them or make them exempt from bullshit practices.

5. NeoSlyde
    This message by NeoSlyde has been removed from public view by Foxi4, May 15, 2019, Reason: Flaming.
    May 14, 2019
  6. OkazakiTheOtaku
    This message by OkazakiTheOtaku has been removed from public view by Foxi4, May 15, 2019, Reason: Reply to a trashed post.
    May 14, 2019
  7. NeoSlyde
    This message by NeoSlyde has been removed from public view by Foxi4, May 15, 2019, Reason: Reply to a trashed post.
    May 14, 2019
  8. stitchxd

stitchxd GBAtemp Fan

Apr 27, 2017
    United States
    nope
    To be fair - They are the developers of the very used, very amazing Unreal Engine. Technically speaking.

Coolsonickirby and CoolStarDood like this.
  9. OkazakiTheOtaku
    This message by OkazakiTheOtaku has been removed from public view by Foxi4, May 15, 2019, Reason: Reply to a trashed post.
    May 14, 2019
  10. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    EPIC: "We made unreal engine, everyone uses it, it's so good for everyone"
    ME: "You can make a successful game engine everyone likes using, but you own a pc store front that has bad security and tries to monopolize game exclusives? Let's give a award for that too, worst consumer business practice." :ninja:

11. Owenge

Owenge GbaTemp browser

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    ◤__◥
    Epic Games: wins BAFTA
    Any other game developer: Am I just a joke to you?

lexarvn likes this.
  12. OkazakiTheOtaku

OkazakiTheOtaku no thanks, I don't want a custom title

Jul 20, 2016
    Japan
    I think the problem with doing this is that it will show that Epic successfully bullied them into doing it. Personally, I don't have a stake in either side of the war here and I have reasons to dislike both Epic and Valve. But bending to Epic's wishes and doing what they want will show that Epic successfully manipulated Steam into doing what they want-- which is a bad look.

13. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Unreal engine is used all over the place and has been for years, even on that alone, it's fair enough. Fortnite is also massive, like it or not.

Store is shit, but the engine over the years is a big contribution.

zxr750j, graeme122, tyrantnyx and 3 others like this.
  14. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Hang on a minute don't you kno what even BAFTA means - BEST AWARDS FOR TOTAL ARSEHOLES :lol:

Fusion likes this.
  15. SkittleDash

SkittleDash GBANep

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    They can always claim that it was from the outcry of fans and not from Epic. Which fans are yelling for. At least it would show Steam will listen to their fans. Unlike Epic who couldn't give a shit what people think.

16. ChrisMCNBVA

ChrisMCNBVA GBAtemp Regular

Nov 5, 2002
    United States
    natural bridge, virginia
    isn't epic games the ones that do gears of war?

17. kingaz

kingaz GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    United States
    I thought the spyware thing had been debunked.

18. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    If that's all you saw, then you're pretty blind... Or biased... Take your pick.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

No, it was a superficial excuse as to what was happening and why. Nothing was ever debunked.

Either way? Not counting their recent transgressions and looking at the good they've actually done? This is deserved. You can shit on Fortnite all you want, but it's still a popular game and a successful business venture for them. The Unreal Engine is one of the best engines to build on.

Last edited by Memoir, May 14, 2019
    lexarvn and CallmeBerto like this.
  19. reddragon105

reddragon105 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 10, 2008
    I think we can all agree that Epic, like a lot of developers, have done some good things and some bad things. So let's just assume that the BAFTA is for one of the good things - like creating the Unreal Engine or Unreal or Unreal Tournament or Gears of War or Fortnite or (the reason I would give them an award) making the Unreal Engine free to everyone. If they specifically say 'This BAFTA goes to Epic Games for making 4A Games/Deep Silver pull Metro Exodus from the Steam store two weeks before release', then we can all lose our shit because that would be some controversy.

Yes, but not anymore. They made Gears 1-3 and Judgment, then Microsoft bought the rights to the franchise and gave it to The Coalition (one of their in-house development teams) to make Gears 4, and they're now working on Gears 5.

Coolsonickirby likes this.
  20. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    This is a weird time to choose to give them an award for anything meritous. Unreal engine? Yes, fair point.
    The egs?
    The forced crunch on staff?
    The literal wholesale of identities to the Chinese government via Tencent?

A very troubling time to issue this award, for sure.

laurorual and Deleted_413010 like this.
  21. What in the actual fuck is this bullshit. I wanna go over to Britain and smack whoever's idea it was to give THEM an award. THEM? EPIC? You make me laugh so hard that my laughter was heard 3 states away and then that entire state laughed their ass off and it was heard over 7 states away in Washington, DC where President Donald Trump said "Okay, let's fuck Epic and ban it".

Epic Games has done nothing but fuck over the entire gaming industry and all of us gamers alike around the world. They are fucking us like hell...why do they deserve an award for it?

IF YOU ARE GOING TO GIVE ANYBODY AN AWARD GIVE IT TO VALVE...THEY ARE NOT IMMATURE, SPYING ASSHATS WHO FUCK OVER THE GAMING INDUSTRY! I'M ABOUT TO COME TO BRITAIN AND KICK SOME ASS!!!!!!!!

God...I got mad lol...but I am right...click 'Like" if you agree.

Last edited May 14, 2019
    Tiger21820 and codezer0 like this.
  22. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Nope, it's just PR bullshit to save face, it has been all but disproved.

Tim Sweeney can drink suck it soup.

23. Gangu

Gangu Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2019
    Canada
    i definitely agree that epic games is a very influential company, but man, could you pick a worse time to award them? they have most certainly been at their worst recently

24. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Recently? Yes. However they used to be the poster child of game development and communities...