1. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    There are only 2 things I want to know that mean the difference between this being worth it and being a complete waste of money:
    1. Is it cheaper than UltraHDMI?
    2. Does it reverse the blur filter that the N64 applies to everything?

If the answer to either of these questions is no, the UltraHDMI is a way better buy.
    Especially considering how much of a difference being able to reverse the blur filter makes in UltraHDMI. It's a night and day difference. It's not as crisp as on an emulator (at native resolution), but it's 80% of the way there, and probably the best you're gonna get on real hardware.

It would maybe be worth it if it has that feature even if it costs more than the UltraHDMI, since the UltraHDMI is a hardware modification. I would be willing to pay a little more not to have to mod my N64, but the UltraHDMI is already so expensive...

That trailer plays hard on the nostalgia, but I sincerely hope anyone that sees it and considers getting one of these researches what options are available to them and makes sure they want this rather than an UltraHDMI because as far as I can tell from that trailer, the UltraHDMI is a much better product. It beats it on price though, but only just.

Maybe their "slick mode" does reverse the blur filter in which case this is a good purchase. But they haven't said much about how it works and I hardly think more smoothing is gonna make the games look better. It's just gonna make them look as blurry as they did on a CRT, but not in a good way.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    DeoNaught likes this.
  2. SG6000

SG6000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    To be fair to Eon - this is a plug 'n play N64 scaler, and there isn't any other device like it on the horizon. If someone like Pound or Hyperkin were to crank out a similar product you could bet that it'd be using that same old Chinese bargain basement scaler chip in many of their other upscaling cables, the one that flubs on colour reproduction and introduces a boatload of lag.

It isn't for me because I don't like using the HDTV for any gaming other than for a cheap emubox (the only HD games device I own) and I know better than to drop OSSC cash on a single console scaler - but others may want something that plugs in, works as intended without any setup and doesn't look like a DIY electronics project betting to have tea spilt on it.

Paying for a high-end, intermittently available mod like the UltraHDMI that also requires a skilled modder's time is only going to appeal to a subsection of N64 enthusiasts. This thing isn't aimed at them. The problem is that it's priced for them.

If they can significantly reduce the asking price while playing up the device's ultra low latency it could have an appeal, but I think they've missed the target by a fair whack.

contezero likes this.
  3. astrodraco

astrodraco Member
    Newcomer

United States
    The UltraHDMI is $10 more but requires both soldering experience and also some straight up cutting which all-in-all isn't difficult.

And it also does take out the blur.

BUT the main reason why an UltraHDMI would be better is because it outputs 1080p, it's soldered in and doesn't rely on a dongle to work, and it doesn't essentially just convert an s-video output to 480p. The N64 isn't even a 480p console, so it natively maxes out at 240p and even those convertors or speciality cables will typically either convert to that and ask your TV to upscale or just top out at 240p which is still considered HD by some.

Anyway, UltraHDMI is a better buy for pretty objective reason. Get one of those and find someone to mod it for you if you're not willing yourself is around $200. This is $50 less for a lackluster product.

4. Scarlet

Scarlet In Memoriam of Mag Staff Mouse
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    But the RetroTink does that? Like, it's $50 less, requires only a Micro USB power supply (with most modern TVs having USB ports themselves), and is far more flexible in offering support for S-Video, Component, and Composite, all with the same 'zero' (microseconds) lag promise.

I just don't see the market here unless the Super64 is priced closer to $50.

gnmmarechal and GalladeGuy like this.
  5. SG6000

SG6000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I was thinking even less than that for a stripped-back, inflexible, feature-gutted line doubling version of the RetroTink. It makes no sense as a premium $150 HDMI converter.

6. Griffballchamp

Griffballchamp GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Now if they could just emulate the damn console properly............

7. LeviDL

LeviDL Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I love that there are ZERO good comments on this so far. Price point is $100 over retail premium for this kind of thing. Even the $50 is a little steep for what it can do. This is hilarious. Why would they ever think the $150 price point was a good idea. Thanks for the laugh guys. The only good thing about this article.

8. Sure...let me just call the US Treasury to buy this thing. $150 for a fucking adapter is insane. I don't give a shit what it does or how good it is. Its way too expensive.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  9. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Still not as good as a crt.. Keep trying

10. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Easier said than done. You can thank the complex hardware and lack of decent documentation for that.

11. DeoNaught

DeoNaught I'm here to steal memes and break dreams

United States
    Leaked Amazon listing from discord
    [​IMG]

It's kinda like the game cube adapter they "Made." take something open-source, or easily replicated, Mock up the price to about $100+ and sell it in limited amounts.

I think their moto is probably something like "Make up, and mock up!"

if you want good video quality for your N64, get the UltraHDMI, costs a little more, but difference is Night and Day.

I honestly feel bad for people who think this is good and buys it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It's only weird hardware that makes it hard to emulate, Documentation is kinda out there, same amount on other consoles. I mean, we have completely reversed engineered N64 Boards, on a PCIE Board.

Snugglevixen, genxor and Taleweaver like this.
  12. face235

face235 GBATemp's Official Lurker

United States
    And EON can keep their Super 64 adaptor, I ain't paying $150 for that. My 32-inch Emerson HDTV plays N64 just fine as is.

13. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    While it'd be weird for expecting an N64 sold by someone not nintendo, I can't really blame you: for 150 bucks it's not really far fetched to expect a N64 console clone of some kind.

14. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    oh so it's $150 too :lol: yeah fuck that shield tv FTW

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  15. Bonny

Bonny GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    I own an RGB-modded NTSC N64 - who can playback JAP and US carts, i'am using it with an RGB-cable on a LCD-Flatscreen. Has this thing any benefits for me?

16. Ev1lbl0w

Ev1lbl0w GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    Why does it look like the 9-Gag logo to me lol

17. SG6000

SG6000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    This thing won't process RGB so it won't even work for you.

If it was however able to line double 240p RGB it'd be useful in reducing the input lag that your setup has - but if it uses RetroTink guts this too is a misnomer as the chip in that device does not and will not accept RGB video.

Bonny likes this.
  18. PewnyPL

PewnyPL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Poland
    I feel it's pointless. They say it's zero-lag, but that's just the device's own lag... It won't decrease the input lag of the TV eitherway, so, the only real way to play N64 lag free IS a CRT.

19. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    The saying I'm thinking of goes, "you can't polish a turd".

enarky likes this.
  20. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Looking forward to this and also don't mind the price point. Gotta pay for quality.

danman78 likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - reveals, adapter, through