Translation English translation for Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Ōsōji!

• Thread starter Cjuub
  • Start date
  • Views 112,286
  • Replies 169
  • Likes 36

xler8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"We're being emotionally moved!"

:D

(Saw the above on the GitHub page's translation work and it made me smile)

[edit - moved quote into spoiler tag]

Last edited by xler8,

Cjuub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
"We're being emotionally moved!" :D

(saw this on the GitHub page's translation work and it made me smile)

You shouldn't be reading end-game spoilers like that. ;)
I actually spoiled this game massively for my self due to reading the script before playing the game. One of the first things I translated was the last scene before the credits... But it was still nice to play it, it was like when you watch a movie adaption of a book you've read lol.

Anyway, I managed to translate some hardcoded strings. I found this a bit annoying due to the fact that I couldn't find any working Linux version of overlay LZ-compression/decompression. And I did not want to introduce dependencies for large tools such as wine or mono. Luckily, one of the Windows tools for doing this was open source (http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/826/), and only a few functions needed to be modified to compile on Linux. Unluckily, the creator of that tool coded in many non-portable ways and the program did not produce correct output when compiling with GCC. So I had to fix that too, so if anyone needs blz.c that works with GCC/Linux, it's available in the repo.
Then there were some problems with me not updating the overlay table in y9.bin... But now it works!

Oh, and the script files are 100% translated right now, there should not be any Japanese dialogue left in the game (Except for very few more hardcoded strings, which will be fixed).

What's left to do is:
* Translate one texture in the Drain. I most likely won't do this before beta release due to it requiring new extraction and insertion code.
* Give Ketchup a dialect. He has a strong hillbilly dialect in the Japanese version, which has been lost in translation. I will prioritize this because it's important to consider the original developers intentions.
* Make Iberico say something other than "yo", it's a placeholder that spread more than it should have.
* Find the images displayed when failing/passing the Policeman Exam early in the game. (Seriously, where the **** are they?)
* Fix credits image that says "Tonpy" instead of "Telly".
* Translate hardcoded titles given to Chibi-Robo by the Free Rangers (I can probably do this now, but I don't have any save where I can test it yet).
* ... Things I might've missed.
* Still many corrections needed

AfroJackX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like this reasoning, and I agree that a short non-cheesy title should be used, as all western titles have been modified in that way. Though I find your proposal a bit too generic and cheesy.

This is nice and satisfies the above reasoning. Only problem is that "clean sweep" has another meaning that is unrelated to cleaning. But I might choose to use it anyway!

So, for the current status of the project... Progress has slowed down a bit since I haven't spent my whole spare time on it lately like before. But I've still been trying to correct at least a few dialogue lines every day. The beta patch release probably isn't very far away, but I can't really give any release date. I want it all done before summer, hopefully earlier than that.
Yeah it is cheesy because I pulled it off of the top of my head. I didn't put much thought into it. I think chibi robo clean sweep is a great name even without a vacuum reference in it.

Last edited by AfroJackX,

Luke M.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I'm stupid, thanks for pointing out that I'm doing it wrong. I wasn't running the extract script as I thought it wasn't necessary.

I'll be posting a new properly built patch file in a little bit.

EDIT:

Original ROM MD5: 8AC42698CA937D706C7B0DECBFD4A4F3

New patch file:
Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/s...2fbf9b6a7ff8465b821a719e66b8cad6927761.xdelta
MD5: FAF04CBA326AA47EC4C725D531311999

Patched ROM MD5: 9C5953E55C55949612AC2B48C7558A72

Patch with xdelta.

EDIT EDIT:

I have a Jenkins build running for the project, it runs every two hours or so (not sure how often I want it to be).

It also uploads to Dropbox. I shouldn't run out of space anytime soon (for another 13 builds or so).

The patches are named with its corresponding git commit hash.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n031s2suoawg2l9/AABzc86KrO3V42SMACWtOgdUa?dl=0

Thank you. I've played this all the way through in japanese, I plan on playing it now, and I'll probably play it again when it releases. I can't understand Japanese in the slightest, but I might be able to help with replacing graphics if someone tells me what to make them say.

Cjuub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you. I've played this all the way through in japanese, I plan on playing it now, and I'll probably play it again when it releases. I can't understand Japanese in the slightest, but I might be able to help with replacing graphics if someone tells me what to make them say.
The graphics are almost fully translated, only some textures left to do, I started writing code for that yesterday. No need for help, but thanks.

The patch is very close to release, so I recommend waiting. But your free to do what you want. :)

Anyway, I've gotten some pull requests in the past few days. I don't know who it is of you, but I appreciate it!

EDIT:
Yay, texture extraction and insertion now works! This will fix the images in the police exam as well as in the Drain. Which should be the final images in need of editing. :)
1604060018134.png

Last edited by Cjuub,

Cjuub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright! The beta patch is now released! See the edited first post for more details.

I just finished my second playthrough of the game (story and all sidequests). I corrected many errors along the way and I'm confident that the game can be enjoyed from start to end without any major errors.

Enjoy!

Jammalo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, I can't express how excited I am for this, I have been itching for more chibi robo in my life forever. As someone who's on Mac and has absolutely no idea about rom hacking and whatnot (I was lost at "root of the repository,") though, I have no idea what I'm doing. Is it even possible to do on Mac or do I need to break out the ol' windows laptop? Sorry to be a complete noob here, not sure if there's somewhere I can quickly read up on how this works.

Cjuub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Man, I can't express how excited I am for this, I have been itching for more chibi robo in my life forever. As someone who's on Mac and has absolutely no idea about rom hacking and whatnot (I was lost at "root of the repository,") though, I have no idea what I'm doing. Is it even possible to do on Mac or do I need to break out the ol' windows laptop? Sorry to be a complete noob here, not sure if there's somewhere I can quickly read up on how this works.

Not sure about Macs actually, but Google says this should work: http://projects.sappharad.com/tools/multipatch.html

Edit: That is, use the patch found under "Releases" on GitHub. No need to build it yourself.

Last edited by Cjuub,

Jammalo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure about Macs actually, but Google says this should work: http://projects.sappharad.com/tools/multipatch.html

Edit: That is, use the patch found under "Releases" on GitHub. No need to build it yourself.
Oh lord it's working. This is amazing :D What's hilarious is I just got into emulators and stuff this past week, just finished playing the original GC game again and went to see if there was an english version of this, and sure enough the beta is here at this exact time which is crazy. I have a whole new world to explore with all this stuff. You're the man, man. Thanks so much.

Reactions: Cjuub

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing for several hours and I haven't come across any errors except maybe "Your watts...Has been upgraded to a maximum of XXX watts", seems like it should be "have". Otherwise, it's fantastic
EDIT:
Also, during the cutscene with the Free Rangers, "Idiots! You're talking to loud" -> should be too

Last edited by NWPlayer123,

Calitar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all thank you so much for doing all this. Even with the language barrier this is one of my favorite DS games so it's great to finally have it in English.

However I am afraid I am having problems with the game freezing while playing on real hardware (R4i-SDHC, latest firmware, both official and YSMenu). It freezes almost every time I leave the Chibi-House. This is due to the game's anti-piracy. The patch wont apply to a ROM with the AP already removed and after patching it the HEX that needs to be changed in order to remove the AP seems to refer to PrizeSpSaucer.NCLR instead. I don't know what to do short of rolling up my sleeves and getting everything I need to build the patch myself. Would it be possible to release a patch for ROMs that have the AP removed? For reference to remove the AP change HEX 000F3BD5: 0C → 37 (or just use the DS-Scene Rom Tool). Thank you again.

Last edited by Calitar,
Reactions: NWPlayer123

Cjuub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
First of all thank you so much for doing all this. Even with the language barrier this is one of my favorite DS games so it's great to finally have it in English.

However I am afraid I am having problems with the game freezing while playing on real hardware (R4i-SDHC, latest firmware, both official and YSMenu). It freezes almost every time I leave the Chibi-House. This is due to the game's anti-piracy. The patch wont apply to a ROM with the AP already removed and after patching it the HEX that needs to be changed in order to remove the AP seems to refer to PrizeSpSaucer.NCLR instead. I don't know what to do short of rolling up my sleeves and getting everything I need to build the patch myself. Would it be possible to release a patch for ROMs that have the AP removed? For reference to remove the AP change HEX 000F3BD5: 0C → 37 (or just use the DS-Scene Rom Tool). Thank you again.

We're definitely going to fix this! Does this one work: *snip* ? I patched the offset you said in a clean rom (and it did say 0C originally), before applying the patch. I have no way of testing it though, so please report back.

Last edited by Cjuub,
Reactions: Calitar

Calitar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're definitely going to fix this! Does this one work: http://cjuub.se/files/patch.xdelta ? I patched the offset you said in a clean rom (and it did say 0C originally), before applying the patch. I have no way of testing it though, so please report back.
Looks like the freezing is gone! :D
I'll let you know if I run into any other issues. Thank you for getting this fixed so quickly.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
* If you use this patch, please show appreciation by starring the project on GitHub, liking this post and/or dropping a comment of thanks in this thread.
Done, done and....... done!
Looking brilliant from the screenshots, will try this out soon - many many thanks!

Logan Hitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so. To make a playable file, be it on an R4 card or emulator, do I need a specific ROM? Or can it be any okaeri chibi-robo happy richie ōsōji ROM? What are the steps to to patch it with the "patch.xdelta"

I basically need a "How to guide" for dummies just like me who might not be as familiar with the process of DS patching.

Thank you very much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ding dong