ROM Hack English to Japanese Translation resource

SleepingDragon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: JAPANESE TO ENGLISH. Sorry about the mistake

I've been really getting into several Japanese games utilizing translation patches I've discovered at gbatemp (i.e. Soma Bringer and Jump Ult Stars). But, there are still many Japanese games with no English patches available. So, I've been checking out several internet resources that various tempers have mentioned before. But, I ran across an interesting little article a few days ago that has already helped me understand a couple games I've always wanted to play. The article also has some links to other helpful resources. I've never seen or heard this mentioned before here, so I thought I'd share it:

http://www.bardinelli.com/blog/?p=46

It is pretty simplistic, but it may be just what you need to be able to play doki doki majo shinpan, like you've been dying to!
Also, I'd like to hear the opinion of all you Japanese/English "bi"s out there!....... (get your mind out of the gutter, I meant "Bilingual"s). Is this pretty accurate? Do you think it could be helpful for us dumb Americans that want to play Japanese games?

EDIT: MR. MODERATOR, could you please change the title from JAPANESE TO ENGLISH

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's a start.

The link provides some very basic pointers for learning Japanese for the purpose of playing imports. I would agree that learning hiragana and katakana would be a good way to get your feet wet in actually comprehending the text in import games.

The truly motivated can learn hiragana and katakana (about 100 characters total) in a few days. I've even heard of some people claiming to memorize all of them in a few hours using certain books (Remembering the Kana by James Heisig comes to mind).

Even after learning the kana, playing an RPG in Japanese is no small feat. Even the most seasoned translators in this thread will tell you that. But as long as you can read kana, you can get surprisingly far.

I think that the RPG terms in the link you provided is good, but it glosses over one very important aspect of RPGs: the status screen. It should include words for equipment (armor, items, weapons, etc.) words for stats (Str, Int, Wis, Agl, etc.), magic and experience-related terms.

If the need is there, I might provide a list of such words. I actually have to run out of the house for a bit, so I'll see if I have time to do it later (unless someone beats me to it).

SleepingDragon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's great, thanks for the feedback. I'd love to see a list of some more terms. There are just so many intriguing games that are all in Japanese. Anything you, or anyone else could do to at least make this easier would be greatly appreciated.

Mac2492

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this! I'm inspired to start learning Hiragana and Katakana now. I'll tackle Kanji if/when I start taking Japanese in college.

Here's a great chart that I stumbled upon (Source): http://shodan.co.za/images/katakana_chart.png

I have a text chart for personal reference, but the formatting is driving me nuts. I have to reformat it every time I move it to another operating system or program because tabs are interpreted differently.

EDIT: Here's the chart.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ddczngo5kjv

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...