Hacking English Font for Puyo Puyo Tetris

NotABicycle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN CANCELED DUE TO DISINTEREST, THIS THREAD CAN BE DELETED) Just the other day, I decided I wanted to put in the effort and make an English patch for Puyo Puyo Tetris on PS Vita. I had yet to see anyone else attempt the feat, so after overcoming my troubles with decrypting the files and whatnot, I edited the .mtx files using MtxToJson (included in the Puyo Text Editor pack by nickworonekin over at Github). I patched the game, and booted it up, only to see that the English text I had put was missing most of it's letters. I know it's because the regular Japanese game only has a couple of English characters programmed in, but I am clueless as to how to add in the rest of the missing characters. I want to know how I could add in the rest of any needed/edited files in order to make it display the rest of the text. If someone can link the necessary file(s) I need to import, and how I would go about doing so, the feedback would be greatly appreciated!

When I do get a considerable amount of work done on the patch, I will upload it to my Github page along with some instructions, if you are interested in playing the patch or are willing to offer some help with translations/playtesting. I am determined to get this done eventually, no matter how long it takes! :yaypsp:

Last edited by NotABicycle,

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I haven't looked at the files on VITA but what was done on the 3DS side was find a font that contained all the characters, its been awhile since I touched the files but I believe the font stuff is in the "tenp/text/*" .narc files, they have different font files in each archive for whatever reason, best bet would be find the biggest .narc file in those folders and use the font from that since its likely to contain the most characters, I imagine different fonts on different sections of the game is to save memory loading a smaller file but its not caused issue on the 3DS using the same font every where.

Hell the font format "might" even be the same between the platforms, might be possible to grab from the 3DS, I believe its a .dat and .fif file contained in the .narc files in those folders.

This is all assuming VITA uses NARC... I get the sense it does even though I thought NARC was a "Nintendo Archive" format.

NotABicycle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't looked at the files on VITA but what was done on the 3DS side was find a font that contained all the characters, its been awhile since I touched the files but I believe the font stuff is in the "tenp/text/*" .narc files, they have different font files in each archive for whatever reason, best bet would be find the biggest .narc file in those folders and use the font from that since its likely to contain the most characters, I imagine different fonts on different sections of the game is to save memory loading a smaller file but its not caused issue on the 3DS using the same font every where.

Hell the font format "might" even be the same between the platforms, might be possible to grab from the 3DS, I believe its a .dat and .fif file contained in the .narc files in those folders.

This is all assuming VITA uses NARC... I get the sense it does even though I thought NARC was a "Nintendo Archive" format.
The Vita version uses .narc files, and I have been able to extract the files, although I run into trouble figuring out what to do with the files inside them. I guess I can try extracting the files from the 3DS patch and see what can be done on the PS Vita.

Edit: I don't know if this was a success or not, but after replacing the .dat and .fif files in mainmenu_F0Japanese.narc it crashed upon loading the main menu. It might be because it uses a certain type of .dat and .fif that isn't compatible with the 3DS translation? I don't know, but I have a strong feeling that I might need some sort of custom-programmed thing, which I am 100% unable to do.

Last edited by NotABicycle,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.