Energy drink poisonings increase

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Researchers are calling for all energy drinks to carry warning labels after finding a big increase in caffeine toxicity among consumers of the drinks.

The researchers from the University of Sydney and the NSW Poisons Information Centre say reports of adverse reactions to energy drinks increased from just 12 in 2004 to 65 in 2010.
The median age of people who were reported to the centre, which handles calls from NSW, the ACT and Tasmania, was just 17.
Some 57 per cent of people who were reported were male.
The symptoms which were most commonly reported were heart palpitations, agitation, tremors and gastrointestinal upset.
At least 128 people needed emergency services to be called and of these 20 people showed signs of serious cardiac or neurological toxicity.
Their symptoms included hallucinations, seizures and cardiac ischaemia, where the heart muscle receives insufficient blood flow.
The researchers say this is of "grave concern" to both the community and for clinicians.
"Given the clear evidence of toxicity and the growing number of hospitalisations associated with consumption of energy drinks, particularly in a vulnerable adolescent population, health authorities should increase awareness of the problem, improve package labelling and regulate caffeine content," the study's authors wrote.
The researchers recommend that energy drinks carry warning labels which are similar to those for non-prescription, over-the-counter caffeine tablets.
They said mixing energy with alcohol is a "dangerous phenomenon" and that young people, especially adolescents, appear to be the least concerned about it.
Almost 25 per cent of calls related to a combination of alcohol and energy drinks and another 30 per cent involved the co-ingestion of caffeine tablets or other stimulants such as amphetamines.
The report said that the review and regulation of energy drinks currently being considered by the Australia and New Zealand Food Regulation Ministerial Council is "timely and essential".
Caffeinated energy drinks also have other potential health problems, such as obesity.
The research has been published in the Medical Journal of Australia.
Source

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Energy drinks contain concentrated amounts of caffeine whereas coffee does not. I had a friend who went to hospital because her liver shut down from drinking these to often.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you drink too much of it without caring, then eh, no sympathy.

I always have energy drinks. Hell it was just yesterday that I had 4 within 24 hours (2 Monsters, 2 Red Rains) and I'm fine. Hell I'm even able to sleep after having an energy drink. So really, it all depends on who you are, and how stupid you get with drinking it.

Energy Drink cans already carry enough warning labels anyways.

Reactions: 1 person

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I drink Monsters like they're soda. Not that I drink a lot, but the caffeine doesn't seem to make me any more energetic. It just tastes good. Also, it's fake energy. Caffeine is kind of a placebo, it makes the part of your brain that tells you, "you're tired " to take a hike. Then you crash when it comes back because you've been functioning past normal tiredness.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had to cut caffeine completely out of my diet. You don't realize how much it affects you until you stop taking it in but it has major effects on energy (not in the intended way), mood, and digestion among other things. All you young kids might think it's not a big deal and that "it doesn't affect me", but believe me, it does and you don't even realize it.

Reactions: 3 people

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
1L flask + 1 can of Monster energy + 1 monster shot. What I usually buy when I buy energy drinks. (all together, starting with the shot, then the can then the 1L bottle)

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had to cut caffeine completely out of my diet. You don't realize how much it affects you until you stop taking it in but it has major effects on energy (not in the intended way), mood, and digestion among other things. All you young kids might think it's not a big deal and that "it doesn't affect me", but believe me, it does and you don't even realize it.

I know it affects me, just like me smoking cigarettes and cigars affect me, I just don't care.

gameandmatch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Energy drinks contain concentrated amounts of caffeine whereas coffee does not. I had a friend who went to hospital because her liver shut down from drinking these to often.
Coffee contains more caffeine than any energy drink.
Yeah but some how affects you more than coffee.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
For fuck sakes folks. These are energy drinks. Not soda. They are meant to be drank every once in a while. Once a DAY at the MOST. If you die from caffiene poisoning it's your own goddamn fault. Not the fault of the manufacturer. There really shouldn't be a warning label saying "too much of this shit can kill you." Because one would think it's common sense!

Reactions: 10 people

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Chocolate milk>Soda>Milk>Energy drink.

EDIT: Also is NORWEGIAN MILK. All those milk outside Norway taste like rotten milk taken from the garbage. And im dead serious. Milk from other country is like drinking mud.

gameandmatch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For fuck sakes folks. These are energy drinks. Not soda. They are meant to be drank every once in a while. Once a DAY at the MOST. If you die from caffiene poisoning it's your own goddamn fault. Not the fault of the manufacturer. There really shouldn't be a warning label saying "too much of this shit can kill you." Because one would think it's common sense!

It's call America: If someone dies from a product, it's the manufacturer's fault no matter what warnings they put and/or the common sense people should have.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They're going in the wrong direction.
They should be adding a poison that will be lethal if you drink more than a single can of energy drink per 12 hours.
Only idiots are actually affected by the current poisonings by drinking 3+ energy drinks back to back, or mixing it with alcohol. We're not losing anyone important.

Why people even by them to begin with is beyond me. Outside of the very occasional use of a 5-hour-energy, there's really no point in an energy drink.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm extremely sensitive to caffeine in drinks such as coffee, sodas, and energy drinks. It's not due to an overdose either. Just one can of normal caffeinated soda can make me extremely sick for the entire day, even if i've not had any caffeine in months. Not even counting an energy drink (which is far worse). I didn't have this problem as a child, but started to develop some sort of intolerance to caffeine and energy drinks during my teen years. I have certain issues with other foods as well, again occurring at a similar time frame, but caffeine and energy drinks affect me the worst.

Only a few caffeinated drinks won't harm me, the ones with very low amounts of it (bit of green tea for example doesn't seem bad, or some other teas). But for the ones that do have a good amount, i can get some rather symptoms including bad nausea, heavily increased heart rate, dizziness, and even bad headaches. And ironically, i find caffeine and energy drinks don't even give me energy. The sickness actually makes me feel weaker and tired. I've only ever tried an energy drink about twice. Monster is what i had. Just one can was enough to make me very ill. I wouldn't have tried another, but that was before i knew what was causing my ill feelings. The one thing that seems to work for giving me energy is just staying healthy with good food, rest, and exercise. So i don't miss it much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Same
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    oh cool, I saw Space Invaders on that Nintendo Syl :D
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching the fallout series it is pretty decent
    +1
    What Network is it on? I wanna see what you guys are talking about. N What time frame is it on? :unsure:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's Amazon prime
    Cool. I got Prime
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    prime deez nuts
    okies :D put 'em here :O
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The mutated Axolotl was awesome
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't have prime, I order once I am orderign $35 worth of stuff
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bet you don't pirate game either
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I even convinced my dad to watch Fallout lol. He's enjoying it so far
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They really wanna get the head
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show.
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    legit nobody irl knows I'm trans(it hasn't been long enough yet)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Be really careful out there. There are people who use trans people to their advantage, and its really sad in general. :(
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    also scary
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Chasers and homophobia.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They're very common on social media.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ik about the phobias Im used to it but what's a chaser
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Whoever you disclose your gender identity to, keep it private between your friends.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    irl or online
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Bunjolio, Online.