Energy drink poisonings increase

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Zerosuit connor, Jan 15, 2012.

Jan 15, 2012
  1. Zerosuit connor
    OP

Member Zerosuit connor Baby I'm Back ♥

Australia
    Source

2. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    I'm already addicted to it so It doesn't make much of a differ xd

3. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    But the coffee drinker stay safe? XD

4. Zerosuit connor
    OP

Member Zerosuit connor Baby I'm Back ♥

Australia
    Energy drinks contain concentrated amounts of caffeine whereas coffee does not. I had a friend who went to hospital because her liver shut down from drinking these to often.

5. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    If you drink too much of it without caring, then eh, no sympathy.

I always have energy drinks. Hell it was just yesterday that I had 4 within 24 hours (2 Monsters, 2 Red Rains) and I'm fine. Hell I'm even able to sleep after having an energy drink. So really, it all depends on who you are, and how stupid you get with drinking it.

Energy Drink cans already carry enough warning labels anyways.

1 person likes this.
  6. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I drink Monsters like they're soda. Not that I drink a lot, but the caffeine doesn't seem to make me any more energetic. It just tastes good. Also, it's fake energy. Caffeine is kind of a placebo, it makes the part of your brain that tells you, "you're tired " to take a hike. Then you crash when it comes back because you've been functioning past normal tiredness.

7. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    I had to cut caffeine completely out of my diet. You don't realize how much it affects you until you stop taking it in but it has major effects on energy (not in the intended way), mood, and digestion among other things. All you young kids might think it's not a big deal and that "it doesn't affect me", but believe me, it does and you don't even realize it.

3 people like this.
  8. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    1L flask + 1 can of Monster energy + 1 monster shot. What I usually buy when I buy energy drinks. (all together, starting with the shot, then the can then the 1L bottle)

9. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    I know it affects me, just like me smoking cigarettes and cigars affect me, I just don't care.

10. M[u]ddy

Member M[u]ddy GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Coffee contains more caffeine than any energy drink.

11. gameandmatch

Member gameandmatch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yeah but some how affects you more than coffee.

12. Jennyfurr

Member Jennyfurr GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Glad I don't drink them >_<

1 person likes this.
  13. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    For fuck sakes folks. These are energy drinks. Not soda. They are meant to be drank every once in a while. Once a DAY at the MOST. If you die from caffiene poisoning it's your own goddamn fault. Not the fault of the manufacturer. There really shouldn't be a warning label saying "too much of this shit can kill you." Because one would think it's common sense!

10 people like this.
  14. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    Chocolate milk>Soda>Milk>Energy drink.

EDIT: Also is NORWEGIAN MILK. All those milk outside Norway taste like rotten milk taken from the garbage. And im dead serious. Milk from other country is like drinking mud.

1 person likes this.
  15. gameandmatch

Member gameandmatch GBAtemp Fan

United States

It's call America: If someone dies from a product, it's the manufacturer's fault no matter what warnings they put and/or the common sense people should have.

1 person likes this.
  16. CamulaHikari

Member CamulaHikari Kami Kurai

Netherlands
    I used to drink them quite often, until I saw what it can do to a friend. Now I drink 1-2 at most on a day, and not even every day.

17. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    I haven't ever drank an energy drink. So doesn't afect me.

18. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yeah I'm on the "one a day rarely" bandwagon... if you need them to get through your day, sleep more or visit a doctor and see if your glands are functional.

1 person likes this.
  19. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    They're going in the wrong direction.
    They should be adding a poison that will be lethal if you drink more than a single can of energy drink per 12 hours.
    Only idiots are actually affected by the current poisonings by drinking 3+ energy drinks back to back, or mixing it with alcohol. We're not losing anyone important.

Why people even by them to begin with is beyond me. Outside of the very occasional use of a 5-hour-energy, there's really no point in an energy drink.

20. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I'm extremely sensitive to caffeine in drinks such as coffee, sodas, and energy drinks. It's not due to an overdose either. Just one can of normal caffeinated soda can make me extremely sick for the entire day, even if i've not had any caffeine in months. Not even counting an energy drink (which is far worse). I didn't have this problem as a child, but started to develop some sort of intolerance to caffeine and energy drinks during my teen years. I have certain issues with other foods as well, again occurring at a similar time frame, but caffeine and energy drinks affect me the worst.

Only a few caffeinated drinks won't harm me, the ones with very low amounts of it (bit of green tea for example doesn't seem bad, or some other teas). But for the ones that do have a good amount, i can get some rather symptoms including bad nausea, heavily increased heart rate, dizziness, and even bad headaches. And ironically, i find caffeine and energy drinks don't even give me energy. The sickness actually makes me feel weaker and tired. I've only ever tried an energy drink about twice. Monster is what i had. Just one can was enough to make me very ill. I wouldn't have tried another, but that was before i knew what was causing my ill feelings. The one thing that seems to work for giving me energy is just staying healthy with good food, rest, and exercise. So i don't miss it much.