Encapsulated games in VC and eShop

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Hebon, Jun 22, 2011.

Jun 22, 2011
  1. Hebon
    OP

Member Hebon Dabbling in the videogamagical

United States
    I was just wondering how you guys go about extracting and injecting games on the VC of the wii, and how you might figure it out for the eShop's games.

I'm not asking for instructions or help; I want to know how you begin to differentiate a rom from it's capsule on the VC and what you might do differently on the eShop games.

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate question.

2. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    You don't. atleast for the time being. We have no way of decrypting the rom's content even if we managed to somehow obtain it. You can't do something differently if you don't know how to do it.

BTW, your avatar is the element silver.

3. Hebon
    OP

United States
    You say I can't, but I have read some articles explaining how to inject different roms into VC games. For example, using the Ocarina of Time VC channel, one can inject a N64 game. It will still say Ocarina of Time and have the same banner, but the game will be different. Same goes with the other systems.

And yes. I am silver.

4. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    The problem is, we don't have the tools yet to do so. Of course, you're probably right; if we knew how to manipulate the "encapsulated" roms, we probably could manipulate and even inject other ROMs into those.

We just don't know HOW yet.

5. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniacâ„¢

United States
    OP, the 3DS VC games are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the Wii games. You can't say just because we can do those we can do these right away.

Work needs to be done to decrypt them, etc. So... get ready to wait. That's all there is to it. Thanks Slyakin, for the kind explanation. [​IMG]

If you want tools for Wii's injects, check this out.

6. Hebon
    OP

United States
    I was thinking; Is there (if not, someone should start it) a program that could look for similarities between roms and VC channels and eShop? It could look for large amounts of identical code.

I understand that there could be encryption, but (and pardon me if I'm being ignorant) the program could have some sort of way to check different encryption methods, and just keep checking. I'm sure that someone wouldn't mind running such a program for the chance to find out more about the VC channels and eShop games.

7. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Similar to a brute force, I see. I don't know if such a program exists, but it could be out there.

And BTW, sorry for such ambiguous answers; I'm not that knowledgeable in this field to begin with, and the fact that we are so early into the development of 3DS manipulation just makes it hard to give definite answers.

8. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniacâ„¢

United States
    People have already figured out VC channels. They are literally images for the banners, an xml file of data, Wii readable code to execute the .wad, and an emulator to play the rom (rom is "packaged" inside the .wad files along with everything else).

Already done; it's how we have injects...

9. Hebon
    OP

United States
    I see. How did they figure it out? What's involved?