1. Turbinetester

OP Turbinetester Member
    Newcomer

United States
    So I’m guessing I’m going to be in the minority with this question but here goes...I want to ENABLE playtime limits and bedtimes etc for an SX Core modified switch. Actually, two of them. Disappointingly, I can’t set this up as stand alone options on the switch itself, this appears to only be available by using the Nintendo app on a smartphone and linking it to the console (or user profile), which I’m guessing would result in a ban (And the inability to use the parental control service) if I tried to do it by disabling stealth mode. Ideally I would like my two switches to be able to cooperatively play Minecraft, Mario Kart and Smash Brothers in local ad hoc mode and also have Parental controls enabled for each switch. Primary use of Parental controls would be to limit play time, time of day, and any non-local social contact. Is there a way to do this without getting the consoles banned? Is there a way to enable local ad hoc play between two (3,4,5?) consoles on a cooperative game? Essentially I want my kids to be able to do on the Switch what they could do with CFW 3ds consoles (local ad hoc play on those games) but with the added benefit of parental time controls (which are not available on 3ds). Are there home brew Parental Controls Apps?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by Turbinetester, Sep 10, 2020
  2. lisko

lisko GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    You could try to "genuine boot" your switch and enable and configure parental control the official way and then setup the emunand from scratch. I'm not sure if this works but could try. Ad-hoc mode is supported without disabling stealth mode. You should never disable stealth mode in cfw if you don't want to get banned.

3. Turbinetester

OP Turbinetester Member
    Newcomer

United States
    ok, so if i follow you i should basically delete the current emunand, boot OFW (maybe factory reset?) then enable parental controls and connect to nintendo app or however that works. Once i have the parental controls set the way i prefer, then boot back to SX boot.dat, recreate emunand based on that OFW and it's respective parental control settings, and hopefully they will carry over to the emuNAND. Is that correct?

4. lisko

lisko GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Yes, factory reset isn't needed if you never run cfw on sysnand. Also remember to use the "genuine boot" functionality and not the simple "boot ofw" option of the sxos bootloader.

5. Turbinetester

OP Turbinetester Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Thanks for helping me here by the way. So when i get ready to do the Genuine Boot in SX OS i get the "burn fuses" warning. (First i've heard of that so i had to educate myself) The console is on 9.1 OFW. I guess i'm curious if i should really care about burning fuses? I was actually planning on updating the firmware to 10 something to match the other switch console i have. So bottom line, should i care about burning fuses? I also want to wipe the previous owners data off the console and unlink the device from their nintendo account so i can create a nintendo account and link it to me.. Do i need to Initalize, set up and link a Nintendo account and set up parental controls all in Genuine Boot Mode and then recreate the EmuNAND? I just want to be certain before i do anything that might not be fixable...Thanks!

Last edited by Turbinetester, Sep 12, 2020
  6. lisko

lisko GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Booting in your actual firmware will not burn fuses. The fuses will burn only if you update your sysnand and boot using genuine boot. For now it is safe to update your sysnand and burn fuses and probably you'll have to because I don't think that you'll be able to create a new nintendo account and use parental control on firmware 9.1.
    Yes be sure to always boot your sysnand in genuine boot mode and never run cfw or install/play pirated contents on it. After you are done with all the stuff reboot and create a new emuNAND. After that do whatever you want on your emunand but never disable stealth mode and if you want to be even more secure setup also 90dns. Remember that updating the emuNAND will never burn your fuse so don't worry about it.

7. Turbinetester

OP Turbinetester Member
    Newcomer

United States
    OK, great thanks for clarifying that for me. Here are the steps I followed:
    1 - Power off and then power on while holding Vol+ to get to SX CORE menu. Went to Options, SX CORE, and chose genuine boot.
    2 - Delete all game data (the only thing installed was legitimate game cart titles)
    3 - Perform System Update (eta 7 mins, and OFW informed me that it would restart after the system update)
    4 - I let the system attempt to restart on it's own for about 90 seconds while observing that the SX COre had a pulsing blue light. Once it stopped pulsing and turned green it booted to SX OS CFW.
    5 - I held power button and chose "Turn Off" to Power down and then restarted with Vol+ to go to genuine boot again.
    6 - Navigate to System Settings, System, Formatting Options, Initalize Console (eta 7 Mins in my case), following the update the system powered down on it's own.
    7 - Reboot to SX Menu, and chose genuine boot.
    8 - Went through the process of setting up a User, Nintendo Parental Controls App, and Linking the console.
    9 - Dumped a fresh NAND backup
    10 - Deleted old emuNAND.
    11 - Created new emuNAND
    12 - Booted emuNAND
    13 - Installed all my legit games.

I'll report back after i accomplish the same process with the other switch i have and see if they play well together and keep Parental Control Settings. Still baffles me that Nintendo only allows CONSOLE lever parental controls and not idividualized USER level parental control settings.

8. lisko

lisko GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Yes alright. After finishing the update and the switch reboots you could directly press vol+ avoiding booting in emunand. This is mandatory if you haven't already one, though.

9. Mazaaya

Mazaaya Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Reviving an old thread... I have the same problem. I could create a new emunand, but I have things set up the way I want except for parental controls. Is there a way to copy just the parental control settings from sysnand to emunand somehow?

10. Turbinetester

OP Turbinetester Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I wish you the best of luck trying to accomlish that. I was only able to do it using the process described above. Basically, genuine boot, set up nintendo account, save parental control settings, boot to SXOS, create emunand, and run off that emunand. I could not get the consoles to reliably run minecraft together, but they could play MarioCart. In the end, we really just use one switch and barely ever use the second modded switch, so it's not an issue. Biggest time sync is going to be blowing away your existing emunand and recreating it after you set up the controls the way you like. Maybe someone else will have better info as i've been out of the scene for a while.

Last edited by Turbinetester, Apr 11, 2021
  11. Mazaaya

Mazaaya Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Thanks for the response. I have a legit sysnand that has everything set up right. Recently I have been tinkering with my switch emunand and homebrew and such, but I don't want to have to switch back to the sysnand for my kids to have a timer. Unfortunately I don't have the timer on my emunand that I made years ago. I did a pretty thorough search before posting.. you are right in the OP, this is a rare situation lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Controls, Parental, Stealth