Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
EmuWIKI.com - Closes Down
NEWS
Copyright_(Simple_English)_Wikibook_header.png

Due to the confusing, unexplained, and soon to be Canadian copyright law, EmuWIKI.com has closed its public doors. The site hosted over 8,000 EMUs, guides, information, facts, etc. This site will be missed as it was a great asset to the gaming community. A 20 GB public torrent of the site as of 5/27/10 is being offered, the file can be obtained from the source link below.

icon11.gif
Source
discuss.png
Discuss

hoist20032002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude this is TOTAL BULLSHIT!!!!! I feel sorry for all the Canadian gamers...The US is going to be next in this Copyright Law BULLSHIT and We need to start being prepared for the worst!!!!! Already have we lost so many help sites,rom sites,cart sites, etc..... Hopefully we can find solutions to this future mishap of a travisty..........

GH0ST

Your Hero is a Ghost
Trophies
Website
www.neuronball.com
XP
Country
France
QUOTE said:
The good news is, anybody can be EmuWikiAdmin. If you have more time than me and live in a country that is still considering that history of virtual communities is a legal activity, go ahead. Buy the EmuWiki2.com domain and download that torrent. If you have previous knowledge of MediaWiki and PHP, it will help. If you don't, you'll have to learn. It is a pretty sad thing, because there was a lot of projects going on, including an archival of newsgroups from the 90's referring to emulators, and a PDF version of the encyclopedia. I had also started a blog where I would have liked to talk about what I discovered while building the archive. I will likely not update that blog anymore, altough it will remain opened as soon as the server merge is done. Anybody can just start where I stopped. Contact me at [email protected] if you want help with hosting a copy of the website - you'll need time - don't think it's just a couple of html files you just put in a web folder.

"If creativity is a field, copyright is the fence". John Oswald

"The question of copyright promises to be the Vietnam of the Net". Mitch Kapor

Site Analysis of emuwiki.com: estimated value: $49,868
moogle.gif

LINK289

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I REALLLLY hope it doesn't pass... It's kinda freaking me out just thinking about if it passes (wondering what sites will close down).

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
This is one issue I honestly wouldn't mind resulting in another election. I've had enough of Harper and his bullying, thuggish practices in Ottawa. It pisses me off to no end, and I'm sick of it. It's time to end the minority Conservative government experiment, I think. The risks we run by allowing them to keep even that limited power is too great.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really disappointed. Unintelligent people creating unintelligent laws. This is what happens when media corporations blame their failures due to copyright infringements. Many people can argue why copyright is wrong, but it takes a brilliant person to show why copyright may actually produce greater sales for a company... There is a probability that piracy may actually increase profits for some corporations but people are so negligent and only look at the fact that something is being copied and place blame on it. There are many many many factors to copyright/piracy.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So these Canadian copyright laws are cracking down on emulation despite the fact emulation is completely fine? Might as well ban the Wii since the Virtual Console is emulation. The site didn't offer any ROMs or illegal software so this is bullshit.

Lucky for GBAtemp we won't be affected (since we're not Canada based). But this still sucks, these copyright laws are stupid.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
he is not closing down because of the copywrite laws, he is closing down from fear of attack from the government, he says all his files are legal, then why close it? get a good lawyer to protect his rights.

EmuWikiAdmin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
he is not closing down because of the copywrite laws, he is closing down from fear of attack from the government, he says all his files are legal, then why close it? get a good lawyer to protect his rights.

It is pretty naive to think that on top of the server costs (around 2000$ per year), I could also afford to pay for a lawyer for a hobby that does not bring any kind of income. I think you misunderstood the text, read it again, there's already an answer to your question in it. I explain that in a website where the contributions come from the public and from me, there is eventually going to be mistakes. There's going to be emulators that are distributed with the bios inside the exe or in a subfolder that I will miss, and with that new law, we have no idea what you can be sued for when that happens, say, for 24 hours before it is removed. How much is the publication of a Nintendo bios during 24 hours worth ? We have no idea, but as I say, I just don't want to sleep with the question in mind. I am not closing down from fear of attack from the government, you misunderstand the law which is not a criminal law in which the government sues you, it's a civil law in which the companies sue you.

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
jalaneme said:

Lack of $?

Brainy142

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TM2-Megatron said:
This is one issue I honestly wouldn't mind resulting in another election. I've had enough of Harper and his bullying, thuggish practices in Ottawa. It pisses me off to no end, and I'm sick of it. It's time to end the minority Conservative government experiment, I think. The risks we run by allowing them to keep even that limited power is too great.
Too bad the liberals are just as bad... Stupid Idiots and their "green fee" which they (wait for it) also tax....
So.... Who wants to vote for the Brandorg Party lol. (I wish)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1