ROM Hack RELEASE EmuTool - Move partition Emu on another SD, Switch Emu type on SXOS and more

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TheyKilledKenny

Quick question, because it seemed unclear reading the guide. I'm wanting to move an SXOS hidden partition from a 256gb sd card to a fresh 400gb sd card. The source is properly detected and selected. Is there no way to set the new sd card as the target? Or do I have to dump as an SXOS file (with partition enabled) and then re-run the tool and select the new file as the source and the new sd card as the target (with sxos partition selected)?

Thanks in advance. Excellent tool, btw!

Edit: I was able to use the old tried and true USBIT to get it duped, but still curious.

Last edited by mrjoshuaco,

TheyKilledKenny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@TheyKilledKenny

Quick question, because it seemed unclear reading the guide. I'm wanting to move an SXOS hidden partition from a 256gb sd card to a fresh 400gb sd card. The source is properly detected and selected. Is there no way to set the new sd card as the target? Or do I have to dump as an SXOS file (with partition enabled) and then re-run the tool and select the new file as the source and the new sd card as the target (with sxos partition selected)?

Thanks in advance. Excellent tool, btw!

Edit: I was able to use the old tried and true USBIT to get it duped, but still curious.
It is not possible to directly transfer from hidden partition of sd1 to hidden partition of sd2.
So yes, you need 2 steps 1) backup, 2) restore.
In case of migration, the type of target chosen during the backup phase is not important. You can choose Atmo or SX and when you restore on the new sd, set the source the same way you set the target in the backup stage.

Remember that with USBIT you still need to expand the FAT partition

Ciao!

Reactions: mrjoshuaco

Kazrael

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time I use the tool it doesn't seem to work. I got all the emunand files on my desktop and when I use the tool to move them over to my new sd card as a hidden partition it doesnt seem to work or maybe Im doing something wrong.

Im on SXOS and after the tool finishes moving the emunand to the new sd card I turn my switch on and hold the vol + button to get to the CFW/OFW boot menu. The emunand enabled/disabled button is set to enabled and when I try to boot into either CFW or OFW I just get a black screen, but if I use my old SD card everything boots fine.
Did I miss a step?

In the EmuTool client these were my steps:

Generating the emunand Files
1. I selected SXOS Hidden Partition and I selected my SD card
2. Enabled Partition EMU was selected
3. I selected SXOS File as my Target and selected my desktop as my destination.
4. I Started the client and once it was finished I made sure all the files were generated [Boot0,Boot1 and Full.00 - Full.07]

Transferring to new SD card
5. In order to transfer them to the new SD card I selected SXOS file and the folder on my desktop containing the emunand files as my source.
6. Then as my target I selected my new SD card and started the client.
7. Once the client was finished I placed the SD card in my switch and booted it up while holding the vol + button and initially saw that the "emunand enabled/disabled" button wasn't there, so I put the sdcard back into the computer and started EmuTool and noticed the "Disable Partition Emu" was selected so I clicked "Enable Partition Emu" and that allowed the "Enable/Disable Emunand" to show up on the switch, however this still resulted in just a black screen when I attempted to boot into either CFW or OFW.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Kazrael,

Impossible_Igntiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time I use the tool it doesn't seem to work. I got all the emunand files on my desktop and when I use the tool to move them over to my new sd card as a hidden partition it doesnt seem to work or maybe Im doing something wrong.

Im on SXOS and after the tool finishes moving the emunand to the new sd card I turn my switch on and hold the vol + button to get to the CFW/OFW boot menu. The emunand enabled/disabled button is set to enabled and when I try to boot into either CFW or OFW I just get a black screen, but if I use my old SD card everything boots fine.
Did I miss a step?
Try to re-partition with the new sd card via Hekate and then use EmuTool to see if that finally works.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Kazrael

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try to re-partition with the new sd card via Hekate and then use EmuTool to see if that finally works.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your recommendation, I tried that and now I'm able to get to the Nintendo logo but after that it just goes to the black screen. I'm getting closer!

Could I be missing some of the Emunand files? all of the full.00.bin - full.06.bin files are 4,194,176 KB except for the full.07.bin which is only 1,176,448 KB. should the full.07.bin file be the same size as the others?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Did I miss a step?

In the EmuTool client these were my steps:

Generating the emunand Files
1. I selected SXOS Hidden Partition and I selected my SD card
2. Enabled Partition EMU was selected
3. I selected SXOS File as my Target and selected my desktop as my destination.
4. I Started the client and once it was finished I made sure all the files were generated [Boot0,Boot1 and Full.00 - Full.07]

Transferring to new SD card
5. In order to transfer them to the new SD card I selected SXOS file and the folder on my desktop containing the emunand files as my source.
6. Then as my target I selected my new SD card and started the client.
7. Once the client was finished I placed the SD card in my switch and booted it up while holding the vol + button and initially saw that the "emunand enabled/disabled" button wasn't there, so I put the sdcard back into the computer and started EmuTool and noticed the "Disable Partition Emu" was selected so I clicked "Enable Partition Emu" and that allowed the "Enable/Disable Emunand" to show up on the switch, however this still resulted in just a black screen when I attempted to boot into either CFW or OFW.

Any ideas?

You could try to convert that hidden partition to a file format, then transfer it, and then convert it back on hidden on the new SD.

Kazrael

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I finally got it to work so I'm going to post my process here in case anyone was confused about the steps for EmuTool that were initially posted or were running into partition issues with Hekate.

A brief explanation on why I did this in case someone is in the same predicament.

I was trying to upgrade my SD card to a larger size and during the process I accidently updated my switch to the new OFW 11.0.1, Since SXOS still hasn't come out with a new boot.dat file for Nintendo's newest firmware update I needed to transfer my old emunand and boot.dat on an old SD card (which I was using back on CFW 10.0.2) to my new SD card. Keep in mind I run SXOS so if you are not running SXOS most of these steps will not work for you.

Also, if you are doing this because you accidently upgraded to the latest firmware and you want to restore your emunand, this process will only allow you to boot into CFW, I never use OFW anyway so I personally don't mind but if you are looking for a way to boot into OFW through SXOS without performing a genuine boot you may need to wait until SXOS comes out with an updated boot.dat file.

To get this to work follow these steps

Generating the emunand Files with EmuTool

(If you want to use a NAND backup to generate the new emunand you can skip to step 1 of "Preparing the New SD card".)
  1. select SXOS Hidden Partition and select the SD card you want to pull the emunand from.
  2. "Enable Partition EMU" should be selected if you have a valid emunand on the sd card.
  3. Then select SXOS File as the Target and for the destination I just picked a random folder I generated on my desktop.
  4. Start the client and once it is finished make sure all the files are generated [Boot0,Boot1 and Full.00 - Full.07]
Prepare the New SD Card
  1. Download the Free Version of MiniTool Partition Wizard
  2. Right click the current partition on the SD card and delete it.
  3. Then Right click and hit "create". Leave the Partition label blank and select "File System" and choose unformatted.
  4. Make the partition size 30GB and hit okay. It is very important that this unformatted partition is First!!
  5. Right click the second partition and hit "create" leave partition label blank and selected exFat or Fat32 as the file System.
  6. click apply
  7. Once the Partition Wizard completes the process right click the first 30GB partition we created in step 4 and click "delete". This will change the partition Type to Logical and change the Partition type ID to 0x0 without having to upgrade to a paid version of MiniTool Partition Wizard and you will also see the Used space change from 30GB to 0GB. Click Apply
Transferring the emunand files to the new SD card
  1. Open EmuTool and Select "SXOS File" as the source and locate the file on the desktop containing the emunand files previously generated in step 4 of "Generating the emunand files" (or your NAND backup files if you have a NAND backup)
  2. Then as the target select the new SD card and start the client.
  3. Once the client is finished make sure to move over the old boot.dat, license.dat and Emutendo folder to the new SD card as well.
  4. Close the client and reopen it, select "SXOS Hidden Partition" as the source and select the New SD card that you just moved the hidden partition to and make sure to select "Enable Partition EMU" if it isn't already selected.
  5. Close EmuTool and remove the SD card from the computer and test it!

These are the Steps that worked for me, I hope this helps someone else!

Last edited by Kazrael,

andytuinman3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I created emummc on my 256gb SD card through hekate. And now I have created the partitions through hekate on my 512gb SD card. Do I need to do something special besides
1. creating binary files from the old hidden atmosphere partition with emutool.
2. selecting the binary files to the new hidden atmosphere partition with emutool.
3. Copy all files from the old fat32 to the new fat32.

Do I need something special within the .ini file or is it OK like this?

tripnation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sorry if this has been brought up - anyone had issues with their SD cards not appearing?

What I've tried:

1. Running software as standard, and as admin
  2. Using built in SD Card Reader
  3. Using third-party/external SD Card Reader
  4. Ticking Show All Drives
  5. Reboot computer
  6. Download different versions of EmuTool

I'm lost. I've also noticed my external hdd is not appearing (even after ticking Show All Drives) - it's like EmuTool is not seeing external media devices.

Edit: This is for Atmosphere/SXOS hidden partition. Selecting Atmosphere/SXOS files brings up file explorer no dramas (where I can see the drives). Seems to be isolated to SD/External HDD.

Edit2

Turns out this was an issue with the computer I was using. Weird as, wasn't detecting even after driver updates, however on another computer the SD cards appeared. Whole process was easy as

Last edited by tripnation,

Marcus9

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay I finally got it to work so I'm going to post my process here in case anyone was confused about the steps for EmuTool that were initially posted or were running into partition issues with Hekate.

A brief explanation on why I did this in case someone is in the same predicament.

I was trying to upgrade my SD card to a larger size and during the process I accidently updated my switch to the new OFW 11.0.1, Since SXOS still hasn't come out with a new boot.dat file for Nintendo's newest firmware update I needed to transfer my old emunand and boot.dat on an old SD card (which I was using back on CFW 10.0.2) to my new SD card. Keep in mind I run SXOS so if you are not running SXOS most of these steps will not work for you.

Also, if you are doing this because you accidently upgraded to the latest firmware and you want to restore your emunand, this process will only allow you to boot into CFW, I never use OFW anyway so I personally don't mind but if you are looking for a way to boot into OFW through SXOS without performing a genuine boot you may need to wait until SXOS comes out with an updated boot.dat file.

(If you want to use a NAND backup to generate the new emunand you can skip to step 1 of "Preparing the New SD card".)
  1. select SXOS Hidden Partition and select the SD card you want to pull the emunand from.
  2. "Enable Partition EMU" should be selected if you have a valid emunand on the sd card.
  3. Then select SXOS File as the Target and for the destination I just picked a random folder I generated on my desktop.
  4. Start the client and once it is finished make sure all the files are generated [Boot0,Boot1 and Full.00 - Full.07]
Prepare the New SD Card
  3. Then Right click and hit "create". Leave the Partition label blank and select "File System" and choose unformatted.
  4. Make the partition size 30GB and hit okay. It is very important that this unformatted partition is First!!
  5. Right click the second partition and hit "create" leave partition label blank and selected exFat or Fat32 as the file System.
  6. click apply
  7. Once the Partition Wizard completes the process right click the first 30GB partition we created in step 4 and click "delete". This will change the partition Type to Logical and change the Partition type ID to 0x0 without having to upgrade to a paid version of MiniTool Partition Wizard and you will also see the Used space change from 30GB to 0GB. Click Apply
  1. Open EmuTool and Select "SXOS File" as the source and locate the file on the desktop containing the emunand files previously generated in step 4 of "Generating the emunand files" (or your NAND backup files if you have a NAND backup)
  3. Once the client is finished make sure to move over the old boot.dat, license.dat and Emutendo folder to the new SD card as well.
  4. Close the client and reopen it, select "SXOS Hidden Partition" as the source and select the New SD card that you just moved the hidden partition to and make sure to select "Enable Partition EMU" if it isn't already selected.

This worked for me just now when upgrading from a 200GB to a 512GB card, thank you!!!

astrocapsule

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It worked flawlessly with a hidden SX OS emuNAND in a 256GB card to a new hidden SX emuNAND in a 128GB card.
So in case you are in doubt if you can transfer a hidden emuNAND to a smaller MicroSD... Yes!! It is possible!!

GRAZIE!!

TheyKilledKenny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm sorry, I didn't received any notification about this thread and not being here for a while.

Prepare the New SD Card
  6. click apply

Thank you for posting your steps here, and I'm sorry i didn't noted your question before.

Sorry if this has been brought up - anyone had issues with their SD cards not appearing?

What I've tried:

1. Running software as standard, and as admin
  2. Using built in SD Card Reader
  3. Using third-party/external SD Card Reader
  4. Ticking Show All Drives
  5. Reboot computer
  6. Download different versions of EmuTool

I'm lost. I've also noticed my external hdd is not appearing (even after ticking Show All Drives) - it's like EmuTool is not seeing external media devices.

Edit: This is for Atmosphere/SXOS hidden partition. Selecting Atmosphere/SXOS files brings up file explorer no dramas (where I can see the drives). Seems to be isolated to SD/External HDD.

Edit2

Turns out this was an issue with the computer I was using. Weird as, wasn't detecting even after driver updates, however on another computer the SD cards appeared. Whole process was easy as
Check if you have a big hdd on the non working pc and try again removing it if you still need it.

Ciao!

TheyKilledKenny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How can this be done on the Mac
This software is windows only, you can try with some emulator, But I don't have a Mac to test it.
If Mac have DD utility or something similar to linux, you can use it to dump the hidden sector of your emunand

in the below command you need to:
1 - change /dev/disk* in all the 3 lines with your SD disk reader identifier
If you have sxos hidden partition emunand then you can now use the below commands. If you have Atmosphere hidden partition emuMMC then you have also to:

2 - change skip= number of the first line with the sector number of your emunand in Decimal (not in Hex)
3 - change skip= number of the second line adding 8192 to the sector number
4 - change skip= number of the 3rd line adding 16384 to the sector number

This are the commands
dd bs=512 if=/dev/disk* of=./boot0.bin skip=2 count=8192
dd bs=512 if=/dev/disk* of=./boot1.bin skip=8194 count=8192
dd bs=512 if=/dev/disk* of=./rawnand.bin skip=16386 count=61071360

Ciao.

Last edited by TheyKilledKenny,

Flare-be

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Can I use this to copy a hidden SX OS Emunand to a hidden Hekate emuMMC? Normally this can be done in Hekate through the migrate functionality but for me the options there are all greyed out. SX OS does show that the Emunand is enabled however and it also works perfectly fine.

Edit: what is strange is that Emutool says the SX OS Emunand partition is disabled while it is in fact working.

Last edited by Flare-be,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Let's play.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I should add a 256gb card in mine and load like 100ps1 titles to it eventually I will
    Will you play them all?
    I've only ever played Castlevania Symphony of the Night from PS1.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't play games here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, I dont have one of those but gbarunner2 in twilight menu works quite decently for me
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Don't get me wrong GBA absolutely had some great games but overall the sound and graphics just meh to me
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The remastered crash bandicoot was pretty decent ngl
    @Xdqwerty I had a NDS long ago, but L and R broke very fast.
    My sister had a N3DS XL and it suffered the same fate.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl the L button barely worked at all in the dsi i previously had
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    my dad bought me a dsi identical to that one
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That could be an easy fix without even opening it with some ipa maybe unless the entire button broke
    That´s why I never got any handheld before the Switch.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, thats why patches exist
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds games are best played on a DS emulation is fine but having actual hardware is better obviously
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or N3ds/2Ds
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, or most "gimmicky" consoles
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah the dual screen makes them better because that's how they were developed for
    +1
    Wii U is also great.
    For DS games.
    Also, 3DS games through NTR streaming on Wii U.
    It's very cool.
    Even playable.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can have main game on big screen and touch lay out on wiiu tablet I can see that
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: If you can have main game on big screen and touch lay out on wiiu tablet I can see that