Emus to play on DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Balious, Jun 9, 2008.

Jun 9, 2008

Emus to play on DS by Balious at 10:10 PM (1,532 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Balious
    OP

Newcomer Balious Member

United States
    didnt know where to put this but since it had stuff to do with emulators for the ds i put it here. Sorry if it is in the wrong place. It happens on all the emus i play. but it doesnt show the whole screen. i have to move with the r and l for the jensisd emu one to view the other part. For example im playing sonic the hedgehog 1 it doesnt show rings. It would like show INGS but it wouldnt show all of RINGS. it also kind of annoys me on the last level of sonic too.
    It also happens with the other emus i tried for snes and the scummvm but i dont mind the scummvm one as much.

Is there anyway to fix this? if not then i try and play it without it. And i did look for changing screen options but could not find any.

Thanks for any help.

2. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    The Genesis emulator does not scale the screen horizontally, only vertically. There is no way to fix it unless the creator of the emu finds a way and implements it.

The best way to look at it at this point is to just be glad it works at all.

3. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Emulation of other consoles on the DS is not perfect nor will it ever be.

Sorry but that's the harsh reality.

4. Balious
    OP

Newcomer Balious Member

United States
    Thanks for the replys. The important thing is it works so i guess i have to live with it. It just be more of a challenge to complete i guess [​IMG]

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I'll do the short and simple explanation here. Emulators for the DS can run in two modes - one that acts like a PC emulator in which the screen is calculated in software and painted to the screen pixel by pixel, and one that uses the DS's dedicated 2D hardware to handle the task of drawing to the screen. Naturally, using the DS's 2D hardware is faster, but it comes with some limitations, the most obvious of which being the fact that you cannot scale the screen horizontally. You can scale vertically by skipping a few rows here and there, but you cannot skip columns due to the way the DS draws to the screen.

If you can find the v0.4a version of jEnesisDS, there's a version that uses a software renderer, which will let you scale the entire screen but will be much slower, requiring frameskip to maintain full speed. Plus there won't be sound. But at least you can squish the entire display onto the DS's screen. This works because the image can be modified in memory before being painted to the screen pixel by pixel.

Otherwise, you'll have to live with the hardware emulator builds that cannot modify the image prior to drawing to the screen.

6. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    Personally I don't mind the lack of horizontal scaling on Jenesis all that bad. Most Megadrive games are actioners where the action is in the middle of the screen. It's only really platformers and RPGs that are badly affected. Platformers it can be a right pain with obviously, but RPGs are button timed anyway so you don't usually miss anything when scrolling the screen left and right. There's no game that's actually infuriated me yet anyway.

7. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I found it to be a gigantic pain in the ass when playing Ristar, but heh, it could be me.

8. cris92x

Member cris92x GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Its not bothersome when playing platformers, i find making the screen all the way to right usually fixes my problem, most platformers have unexpected things in front of you;\
    BTW how about using NesDS(nes emulator) or NeoDS(neogeo emulator) neogeo runs most games 45-60 fps which i say is the best thing to happen to ds than fanmade translations [​IMG]