NULL

Emuparadise suffers data breach, 1.1 million accounts affected

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jun 9, 2019.

1. AkitoTheHedgy

AkitoTheHedgy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2018
    United States
    Press F for all the accounts hacked. You guys will be... Oh idk.

2. PatriarchJimmyG

PatriarchJimmyG Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2019
    Philippines
    Thank god i never created an account lol seems scary to get your info stolen.

3. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Never created an account, pretty sure. I just assume my password is never safe anywhere. I have a different one for everyone of them, just assume they're all terrible on security. Ain't no lock a dedicated lockpicker can't get past. Does make it harder on the less talented tho.

Yeah, copright laws got weirder. You are now responsible for any link or files on your website, even if it's posted by someone else without your knowledge. And links to infringing material means the entire website is liable. Even in private messages or whatnot.

Sayingthe name of the places that..share..is, well, technically fine. but if some big company wants to throw their weight around, there's no real way to defend against it. So while not technically against copyright, most folks like to be overly cautious. These some dark times for the internet. Since the internet is mostly global, got to appeal to the strictest laws.so that's fun too.

least that's my understanding. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Last edited by osaka35, Jun 9, 2019
  4. Essasetic

Essasetic Your local TX Fanboy

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Yikes. I think I had an account on there at one point (but it was from years ago and a different account name and password I have now).

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Why would anyone need an account on a site that's closed anyway?

6. 98otiss

98otiss certified best girl

Aug 22, 2015
    Canada
    somewhere
    i never even used my account, i was pwned but it doesnt matter anyway, i was planning on downloading soundtracks but it still didnt let me even with an account lol.

7. sks316

sks316 Meloetta, the Melody Pokémon!

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Unova
    Ah god damnit, I got caught in this one.
    And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we use a password manager. Every site, no matter how trustworthy or secure, needs its own password. I recommend Bitwarden if you're still looking for one.

8. chaoskagami

chaoskagami Former CFW Dev

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    This is why on any site like this, you should be using throwaway accounts with no relation to your usual identity. Sign up with 10minutemail and use a deliberately shit password - it's not like you should be using the forums on such an obviously skeezy place.

Emuparadise still hosts copyrighted content. They just pretend not to. There's a userscript available via an easy google that rewrites ROM links to directly reference their backend server. So no, unless they actually break said script, they're not safe to link here.

Last edited by chaoskagami, Jun 9, 2019
  9. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    This is news to me. :ninja:

10. chaoskagami

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    Go google "emuparadise userscript." On duckduckgo at least, it's the second result (on a specific subreddit.)

To be clear, I'm not recommending downloading infringing content, merely making it clear such a thing exists. The userscript itself contains no copyrighted content, but I'm not providing any links for safety's sake.

11. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    I’ve been pwned on 11 sites. How do I know which ones? I’ve been using this email for the last 20 years.

12. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Emuparadise is now on "haveIbeenpwned"

https://haveibeenpwned.com/PwnedWebsites

They're not closed? They just don't distribute copyrighted content anymore.

13. chaoskagami

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA

14. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    That's not distributing content. That's people hacking into their servers to access content not accessible to users.

15. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Well, for the record, they don't. But off the record, there are still ways. :creep:

16. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Don't even think I had an account on there...

17. chaoskagami

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    Uh...no? Greasemonkey scripts are executed clientside and only modify the served page content. There is no "hacking" here. If this is hacking, so are adblockers.

I'd be inclined to agree if they attempted to stop distribution of said script or took the backend servers offline, but they have not. Therefore, they're complicit. Aside from that, even if it were hacking, this is a rom site and it's already unquestionably illegal. They're not capable of invoking the CFAA/whatever without incriminating themselves, so any argument to that effect is invalid. They still host roms.

18. RaptorDMG

RaptorDMG GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Stirling
    I noticed when my github was accessed this morning by someone from Kyrgyzstan so I reset my password and nothing was modified or deleted thankfully, it was one of the few sites using my old password as I created a password convention after my rockstar account was hacked last July.

19. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Thankfully I never had an account there.

20. CTR640

CTR640 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2018
    Netherlands
    I had no idea Emuparadise still is alive, well now they don't lol. Last time I downloaded a gba rom was waaaay before a smartphone was a thing.

NULL