Hacking emuNAND trouble

R4ndom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi, I have a n3DS 9.0.0-20E, and about a week ago I tried to install the ReiNAND to try out the emuNAND function. Before I started the process, I made a complete backup of my SD card, as well of my sysNAND. After I did the format emuNAND a also made a backup of my emuNAND with the emuNAND Tool. However, when I rebooted the n3DS after the format, none of my CIAs that I had installed to the Home Menu appeared. Fair enough, I had just formated the SD card so it wasn't suppose to anyway. I had put the ReiNAND on my SD card however so I was able to boot into emuNAND, which booted just fine. Again, no CIAs appeared, but I did not worry. After this I formated my sysNAND (however WITH the SD card in; maybe it is here the fault is?). I put all my content back on the SD card, booted into emuNAND and... No CIAs :/. I actually did a new emuNAND format (don't ask me when :P), injected my sysNAND backup I made previously, and put all my content directly to my SD card. Still no CIAs appear! So I ask this of you: is there anyway to restore my games and with that, the saves? Not that I had that much precious data saved anyway, so if there is no way to fix this I can live with it, but I want to make it work if possible. :)

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure how ReiNAND differs from Gateway's emuNand, but I assume they're pretty similar. I'm having a bit of trouble following exactly what you have done, though.

When you say you "did the format emuNAND", I assume that is the step where you create an emuNAND for later use? Since this involves repartitioning the SD card, it would erase the contents of it. Installed CIAs are stored on the SD card's FAT32 partition, so they would be missing if you do not restore the contents of the SD card that you backed up. Also, when you use the "Format System Memory" option, this will both wipe the internal files that list the installed software (meaning even with the files present, the system won't know to look for them) as well as cause it to generate a new console ID (meaning it will use a different folder for its files, and thus look in the wrong place, as well as see the files as belong to a "different" system and be unusable).

You said you made backups of just about everything, so getting your saves back should be easy. Depending on where you want your saves to be visible, you should be able to regain everything by restoring the backup of the sysNand to sysNand, or the first emuNand backup to emuNand. (Both of these backups should be using the same console ID as you were originally using, since both of these were made before any System Format was done.) Once that is done, restore all files originally on the SD card to the SD card, and they should be visible again.

I hope this helps. If you still have any questions, or if this does not work, please post again. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Reactions: Quantumcat

R4ndom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm not sure how ReiNAND differs from Gateway's emuNand, but I assume they're pretty similar. I'm having a bit of trouble following exactly what you have done, though.

When you say you "did the format emuNAND", I assume that is the step where you create an emuNAND for later use? Since this involves repartitioning the SD card, it would erase the contents of it. Installed CIAs are stored on the SD card's FAT32 partition, so they would be missing if you do not restore the contents of the SD card that you backed up. Also, when you use the "Format System Memory" option, this will both wipe the internal files that list the installed software (meaning even with the files present, the system won't know to look for them) as well as cause it to generate a new console ID (meaning it will use a different folder for its files, and thus look in the wrong place, as well as see the files as belong to a "different" system and be unusable).

You said you made backups of just about everything, so getting your saves back should be easy. Depending on where you want your saves to be visible, you should be able to regain everything by restoring the backup of the sysNand to sysNand, or the first emuNand backup to emuNand. (Both of these backups should be using the same console ID as you were originally using, since both of these were made before any System Format was done.) Once that is done, restore all files originally on the SD card to the SD card, and they should be visible again.

I hope this helps. If you still have any questions, or if this does not work, please post again. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.
I think you have understood me correctly. My problem is that, when I restore the emuNAND backup and put the backup content back on my sd card, the folders I made appear, but none of the CIAs do. It doesn't work for any of my backups, which is really strange for at least the sysNAND was able to read my SD card correctly before the format, but after it won't. Has some ID somehow changed? Btw I have no way of restoring the sysNAND (as the system isn't hardmodded), but it should be irrelevant as long as I restore the right nand.bin file together with the right SD card content, no?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think you have understood me correctly. My problem is that, when I restore the emuNAND backup and put the backup content back on my sd card, the folders I made appear, but none of the CIAs do. It doesn't work for any of my backups, which is really strange for at least the sysNAND was able to read my SD card correctly before the format, but after it won't. Has some ID somehow changed? Btw I have no way of restoring the sysNAND (as the system isn't hardmodded), but it should be irrelevant as long as I restore the right nand.bin file together with the right SD card content, no?
Delete the Nintendo 3DS folder before you restore the SD card data otherwise the old and new data will conflict.

R4ndom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Delete the Nintendo 3DS folder before you restore the SD card data otherwise the old and new data will conflict.
I do, I format the SD card completely => format emuNAND => format sysNAND without SD card in => restore the nand.bin backup to the SD card as well as the backup. Still no games appearing, only the folders that I made do (as well as the custom theme I believe).

The sysNAND makes as predicted a new folder inside of Nintendo 3DS, but that shouldn't conflict with the emuNAND, or?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can access an exploit, you should be able to restore a sysNand backup. I know the Gateway Launcher can do it (it's one of those hidden features, you hold Up while selecting the "Downgrade" option, I believe), so others should be able to as well.

If you created the emuNand before doing a Format System Memory on sysNand, and backed up the emuNand before doing any Format System Memory on emuNand, then emuNand should still have your original ID. As long as all the files are in the correct place, it should be able to find them. I'm not sure why installed CIAs would be missing. Even if it somehow saw them as missing and removed the entries, the backup should be in a state before it was able to see the files as missing... Just to confirm, you have a "Nintendo 3DS" folder in the root of the SD card, containing an ID-string named folder, containing another ID-string named folder, containing folders like title and extdata? Like, if your SD card is E:, then "E:\Nintendo 3DS\<ID string 1>\<ID string 2>\title"?

R4ndom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If you can access an exploit, you should be able to restore a sysNand backup. I know the Gateway Launcher can do it (it's one of those hidden features, you hold Up while selecting the "Downgrade" option, I believe), so others should be able to as well.

If you created the emuNand before doing a Format System Memory on sysNand, and backed up the emuNand before doing any Format System Memory on emuNand, then emuNand should still have your original ID. As long as all the files are in the correct place, it should be able to find them. I'm not sure why installed CIAs would be missing. Even if it somehow saw them as missing and removed the entries, the backup should be in a state before it was able to see the files as missing... Just to confirm, you have a "Nintendo 3DS" folder in the root of the SD card, containing an ID-string named folder, containing another ID-string named folder, containing folders like title and extdata? Like, if your SD card is E:, then "E:\Nintendo 3DS\<ID string 1>\<ID string 2>\title"?
Yes, although I have used the SD card for another 3DS, so there are other ID folders, but all of them contain the title and extdata folders (and the folder which I am pretty sure was used by my sysNAND). How would I go about trying to restore my sysNAND if I don't need a hardmod? Got to be sure I don't mess anything up :P

EDIT: So, I restore my backup of sysNAND from the moment before I format emuNAND, let it create the Home Menu folders, go into my backup of the SD card and put all content inside of Nintendo 3DS/<id1>/<id2>/ (and I doublechecked that the IDs matched), booted it once more aaaand... Nothing. Nothing appears. :/ I have a title.db and import.db in my dbs folder, but it doesn't tell it is corrupt when I go into Software in Data Management :/ So it should be ok. Don't know what is going on anymore...

EDIT2: Ok woops I put the content into the id1 folder :P However, when I go into Software now, it tells me that the SD card content is corrupted?? I am certain all I did was copy the content of my SD card directly to my sd card... Does someone here know how this could have happened? I will try other title.db and import.db files (incase I some indescribable way managed to mix it up).

Is there a way to salvage title.db and import.db from some other place than your SD card? The ones I extracted from the NAND.BIN aren't working :/

EDIT3: Ok I seem to have found the title.db and import.db that belong to my NAND (when boot up Pasta and go into Software, I can se three pages of software). However, I can't boot any of the CIA; they disappear from the Home Menu instantly. What is happening? I must be closer to a solution since my NAND doesn't claim the title.db and import.db to be corrupt, but... aaaagh this is so frustrating

EDIT4: Ok, I seem to have fixed it! Somehow, all my files were scrambled up, but after finding the title.db and import.db I was set on the correct path. :)

Last edited by R4ndom,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM