Hacking EmuNAND to EmuNAND System transfer sucessful

troa11

Older Than You
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, thought this might be of general interest to some.

With the release of the 9.2 exploit, I wanted to move my "official" 3DS profile from my 4.5 launch 3DS to my Zelda 3DS XL. So I did. It wasn't super simple and there was at least two panic moments; but here's what I had to do to make it work...

1 - As with any system transfer, both systems must be of the same region and on the highest firmware. In this case both EmuNANDs were on 9.4 US.

2 - Initiate the system transfer from within the EmuNAND (GW) system settings on both devices. Operation proceeds as normal for a system transfer.

3 - When the initial phase of the transfer is complete, things get dicey. Both systems need to reboot. But doing that dumps you to SysNAND on them both. And the TARGET system reboots into the system transfer section of the system settings, and fails out. Well, don't panic yet. Just shut down both systems.

4 - At this point you are also supposed to move the SD card from the source system to the target system. The problem is that this SD card has the wrong EmuNAND on it now. Remove both SD cards. Don't get them mixed up. You have two options:

a - If you wish to use the SD card that was in the TARGET system, copy the files from the SOURCE SD to the TARGET SD using your computer. Simple as that.

b - If you wish to use the SD card that was in the SOURCE system, you must extract the EmuNAND partition from the TARGET SD card, inject it into the SOURCE SD card and then put the SOURCE SD card into the TARGET system.
(If you wish to continue to use EmuNAND on the SOURCE system, just do a format EmuNAND from the GW menu on it, or restore an old backup. No need to complete that process normally).

5 - Now, on the TARGET system with the correct EmuNAND installed in the SD, launch the GW exploit. The system will boot to the EmuNAND system settings and try to complete the transfer. For me, this always failed and dumped me back to SysNAND. To get past that, I had to disable Wifi as it booted into GW mode and then tell it to NOT continue the transfer and abort.

EDIT: I did this again between another set of 3DS's. This time I didn't get any errors on step 5 and it just completed normally. That may happen too, which I guess is better and easier? But either way you should be able to finish it. If this proceeds normally, you shouldn't have to mess with step 6.

6 - Dumped back to SysNAND again, and again launched the GW exploit, this time I was taken to my EmuNAND home screen. However, none of my installed software showed. I launched the eShop and after about 5 minutes of waiting I was able to finally log back in as my NNID HAD transferred. After logging into the eShop and returning to the Home menu, all my installed software showed up again in wrapped presents (and was also available on the eshop as redownloadable if needed).

So in short, it worked, but I had to interrupt the process, transfer my EmuNAND partition and log into the eShop to validate/finish the transfer.

EDIT: This was from 3DSs that had a physical wifi switch to interrupt the process. Since wifi is necessary to launch the exploit on 2DS and I'm assuming N3DS, and neither of those systems have a point where you can disable the wifi in software during the process, I assume the same could be accomplished by disabling your home wifi at the appropriate time. But don't quote me on that.

EDIT EDIT: All your account info and legit purchases are now stored on a fickle SD card. MAKE AN EMUNAND BACKUP. THEN MAKE 3 MORE AND STORE THEM IN DIFFERENT PLACES.

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It will work if i do? :

EmuNand 9.4 to Sysnand 9.4
If i have CIA installed on EmuNand 9.4, I make a system transfer, i move the same SD Card from the 3DS with EmuNand 9.4 to 3DS with SysNand 9.4, those CIA will work on Sysand 9.4 ?

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is pretty interesting. Hopefully I'll be able to do it on my New3DS, given the emuNAND region changer makes a release before then.

Just so I understand, steps 5 and 6 are both on the TARGET system, right?

troa11

Older Than You
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will work if i do? :

EmuNand 9.4 to Sysnand 9.4
If i have CIA installed on EmuNand 9.4, I make a system transfer, i move the same SD Card from the 3DS with EmuNand 9.4 to 3DS with SysNand 9.4, those CIA will work on Sysand 9.4 ?

You can do the transfer this way, and you wouldn't have to mess with steps 5 or 6, but almost certainly the illegitimate installed cias would cease to function.

This is pretty interesting. Hopefully I'll be able to do it on my New3DS, given the emuNAND region changer makes a release before then.

Just so I understand, steps 5 and 6 are both on the TARGET system, right?

Yes, after the reboot you're basically done with the source system. You could restore a recent EmuNAND backup and make a copy of the SD content to leave all your stuff on the source system, but your NNID would be unlinked and going into the eshop would kill all that stuff. It would basically become an offline copy.

manuslm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So, actually, this is the only way to transfer the NNID to a new TARGET console and keeping the ability to use Gateway on it, right?

I bet a lot of us are gonna find this useful when buying and transfering our NNID from our Classic 3DS to the New 3DS in a couple of weeks. Well, that if Gateway has released Ultra for the New 3DS by then, of course.

Thanks!

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for this, this thread should be a Sticky imo. Hopefully it's going to be fine doing the same thing with a New 3DS in the not too distant future!

troa11

Older Than You
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how about sysnand to emunand?

I did SysNAND to EmuNAND a while back when I first got my 4.5 3DS and it worked. It was honestly so long ago that I don't remember how it went, but I seem to remember there also being some kerfuffle at the point of reboot just like this process. To my mind it should work exactly the same more or less, except the source system will give you less grief, and you have to go through some extra steps if you want to use the SD card from the source system (ie, create an EmuNAND partition and THEN inject it from the target system).

manuslm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for this, this thread should be a Sticky imo. Hopefully it's going to be fine doing the same thing with a New 3DS in the not too distant future!

I completely agree! :lol:
Hopefully we will have more successful experiences like this when the New 3DS launches.
Well, if Gateway releases the exploit and the New 3DS comes in <9.2...

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks for your time writing this troa11.

I wonder if Ambassador GBA games and DSi games get transferred too even thought you won't be able to play them on EmuNAND.

troa11

Older Than You
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your time writing this troa11.

I wonder if Ambassador GBA games and DSi games get transferred too even thought you won't be able to play them on EmuNAND.

They do indeed transfer since I have been transferring all the way back from my fishing-lure blue launch 3DS. I have listings for the GBA games and Four Swords DSi in my eshop yet.

Reactions: tatumanu

DragonSky

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I can't use a eshop title on sysnand from emunand.
Is the only way system transfer and then using it?

That wouldn't work also I think it would be transfered to emunand again.

troa11

Older Than You
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doing this will separate your SysNAND and EmuNAND on the target system just as if you had formatted one of them.

BouncyBread

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, I plan to transfer my NNID to a new 3ds once they come out in the canada. (I don't care much for my e-shop saves)

I'm curious if you can simulate a system transfer to avoid having to go through nintendo. If someone has 2 3DS's could they test this? Or just tell me if it won't work xD.
Backup your 3ds's SD card, then format the system (with the sd card still out) to remove your nnid from the 3DS.
Format the 2nd 3DS and link the nnid through the setup process. Put the SD card into the 2nd 3DS and see the folder it creates. Put the SD card back into your computer and merge the nintendo 3DS files from the old folder.

Would that work? the 2nd 3DS will have the same nnid as it did before and might be able to just read the old sd card contents assuming they're in the right folder.

You'll lose the system settings though (like wifi and such), not exactly sure if the saves will still work but the games and eshop should work.

Edit: then you can setup emunand and what not. :)

lebad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
So, I plan to transfer my NNID to a new 3ds once they come out in the canada. (I don't care much for my e-shop saves)

I'm curious if you can simulate a system transfer to avoid having to go through nintendo. If someone has 2 3DS's could they test this? Or just tell me if it won't work xD.
Backup your 3ds's SD card, then format the system (with the sd card still out) to remove your nnid from the 3DS.
Format the 2nd 3DS and link the nnid through the setup process. Put the SD card into the 2nd 3DS and see the folder it creates. Put the SD card back into your computer and merge the nintendo 3DS files from the old folder.

Would that work? the 2nd 3DS will have the same nnid as it did before and might be able to just read the old sd card contents assuming they're in the right folder.

You'll lose the system settings though (like wifi and such), not exactly sure if the saves will still work but the games and eshop should work.

interesting ;)
But I think that the NNID has to be transfered through their process?? else Nintendo could have added this method with a warning implying that you have to redownload all your eshop games and lose your saves !

Are you sure that a system format will remove the NNID ?

troa11

Older Than You
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Your NNID is stored in some way server-side with Nintendo and linked to your unique console. I assume this is how they are able to remotely restore your 3ds purchases to a new one if yours is stolen? At any rate, obviously they will only link your ID to one console ever. There's no way on your own to transfer your NNID without their system transfer tool. There's also no way to currently duplicate your ID unless we someday figure out how to spoof a 3DS's unique identifier to Nintendo.

The only kind of duplication you can do is as mentioned above; after a system transfer you can restore an emunand backup from before the transfer and it will play your legit games from the SD card again. However if you do anything on the system that checks your NNID, like access the eshop, it will revoke all those licenses.

Z4n7h3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This seems quite nerve racking lol...I think i will wait for a more stable way so I transfer and play all my eshop games on my regular New 3DS.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
So as of right now we don't have conformation that this works when transferring from our current 3DS to the NEW 3DS right? Since Gateway doesn't yet support the NEW 3DS.

I'm wondering if I should even buy it or not...

Edit: Disregard me. I commented before looking at other treads. Got it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"