Hacking EmuNAND Questions

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am thinking about creating an EmuNAND, but have some questions before I proceed:

- It has been a while since I had an EmuNAND on my system, how would I go about creating one?
- After creating an EmuNAND, how do I go about backing it up?
- Is there much or any benefit to having an EmuNAND?
- Is it safe to update EmuNAND to latest FW?
- Can I also still use the following in EmuNAND: BootNTR, JKSM, CTRX, Freeshop
- Can EmuNAND be updated to latest FW, 11.4 I think it is?
- If I can't use Gateway in updated EmuNAND (If yes to above question), can Gateway still be used in SysNAND?
- How do I go about switching between EmuNAND and SysNAND if need be?

My N3DS has A9LH and Luma installed.

Sorry for all the questions, it has been a while since I had and used an EmuNAND. I had an EmuNAND in the past, but it was before I had a A9LH/Luma setup. Thoughts and help on all of the following GREATLY appreciated :)

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Generally there's no point in using an EmuNAND nowadays unless you're doing some low-level hax like region swapping.

GodMode9 is able to set up and manage EmuNAND partitions, including backup and restore. Note that it only supports the newer RedNAND format, which Gateway does not support. If you need Gateway compatibility, you'll need to use the older EmuNAND9 tool, which I don't think has been updated for Boot9Strap compatibility yet.

It is generally safe to update EmuNAND to the latest FW (currently 11.4); however, IIRC Gateway only supports 11.2 at the moment. (Do NOT try even booting Gateway on SysNAND over 11.2; this will revert the FIRM partitions and you'll end up with an unhacked system!)

Switching between EmuNAND and SysNAND depends on the CFW in use. Luma3DS's configuration menu lets you select which one you want as default, and to switch to the other, you have to hold down a certain button on startup. (I think L?)

Pyra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. GodMode9, I'll send the directions if you want.
2. Idk.
3. No.
4. Yes, same with SysNAND on a B9S'ed system.
5. Yes, at least afaik.
6. Like I said, yes.
7. Idfk, it's Gateway, I don't actually know anythiny about it, sorry.
8. Hold the left shoulder button on boot. To change the default NAND, you just toggle the "Autoboot into EmuNAND" thing on and off, depending on which you wanna use everytime you boot.

Also, if you're using A9LH, it doesn't make much of a difference, but I'd advise upgrading to B9S, which made A9LH outdated.

3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

A9LH and EmuNAND are basically completely outdated nowadays, though you could use either if you want.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main reason I wanted an EmuNAND is because some games I can't play in SysNAND because of required firmware version. As far as I know, don't newer games such as Fire Emblem Echoes and Ever Oasis require firmware higher than 11.2? As far as Gateway goes, I still use that because of the cheat feature it has. Thoughts appreciated :)

John256145

"Why does your name have so many numbers?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I backup my EmuNAND with Decrypt9WIP. Whenever I want to do a backup, I load up Decrypt9WIP from the Homebrew Launcher under SysNAND. Then I go to EmuNAND Options > EmuNAND Backup/Restore > NAND Backup. You can also choose how the backup will be named. I like this feature so I won' get confused by which backup is newer or older. When the backup is finished you'll have two files in your SD Card, which are <name of backup>.bin and <name of backup>.bin.sha

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I backup my EmuNAND with Decrypt9WIP. Whenever I want to do a backup, I load up Decrypt9WIP from the Homebrew Launcher under SysNAND. Then I go to EmuNAND Options > EmuNAND Backup/Restore > NAND Backup. You can also choose how the backup will be named. I like this feature so I won' get confused by which backup is newer or older. When the backup is finished you'll have two files in your SD Card, which are <name of backup>.bin and <name of backup>.bin.sha

Wait a sec, you do a backup of EmuNAND WHILE in SysNAND? I just wanted to make sure I read that right...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If I do create an EmuNAND, would it have all of my SysNAND stuff, or would it be a fresh EmuNAND? If it is fresh, how would I transfer everything from SysNAND? Help appreciated :)

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of the ARM9 tools (EmuNAND9, Decrypt9WIP, etc.) run outside of the 3DS operating system, so they don't care which NAND is loaded. They access the hardware directly.

D

Deleted User

The main reason I wanted an EmuNAND is because some games I can't play in SysNAND because of required firmware version. As far as I know, don't newer games such as Fire Emblem Echoes and Ever Oasis require firmware higher than 11.2? As far as Gateway goes, I still use that because of the cheat feature it has. Thoughts appreciated :)
In that case you should do the opposite of what you are doing.You should get a emunand on 11.2 for gateway but keep your sysnand high.

You can simply create one by running emunand9 as a arm9 payload and create one through there.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In that case you should do the opposite of what you are doing.You should get a emunand on 11.2 for gateway but keep your sysnand high.

You can simply create one by running emunand9 as a arm9 payload and create one through there.

What all can I still do on updated sysnand? Can I still use the following in updated sysnand?:

- JKSM for Pokemon game save editing
- BootNTR for cheat plugins
- Freeshop
- Freeshop/CIA games

Help appreciated :)

Last edited by Skeet1983,
D

Deleted User

What all can I still do on updated sysnand? Can I still use the following in updated sysnand?:

-JKSM for Pokemon game save editing
- BootNTR for cheat plugins
- Freeshop
- Freeshop/CIA games

Yes all that works on that latest firmware if you are running a9lh or b9s with luma cfw.Its recommended that you switch to b9s if you are still running a9lh since a9lh won't support the latest luma version.

D

Deleted User

I am on 7.0.5 luma, does that work on latest FW?
Currently yes but it will eventually stop working once Nintendo release stability updates after 11.4.If you want to full proof your 3ds,you should switch to b9s so you can run luma 8.0

Last edited by ,

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently yes but it will eventually stop working once Nintendo release stability updates after 11.4.If you want to full proof your 3ds,you should switch to b9s so you can run luma 8.0

What all can I do in B9? I keep hearing about it, but don't know much about it. I was going to PM you, but you don't accept PMs...

D

Deleted User

What all can I do in B9? I keep hearing about it, but don't know much about it. I was going to PM you, but you don't accept PMs...
Well in that case check this part of the guide https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s it's practically brick proof so you shouldn't have much of an issue.Im not shure how much you missed but b9s replaced a9lh

Last edited by ,

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well in that case check this part of the guide https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s it's practically brick proof so you shouldn't have much of an issue.Im not shure how much you missed but b9s replaced a9lh

I briefly looked over the guide, thanks for the link to it though :)

A few quick questions before I decide to proceed with B9:

- Can I still use JKSM, BootNTR, Freeshop, and Freeshop/CIA games?
- Guide says I need secret_sector.bin, how do I get that if I don't have a Torrent downloader?
- Guide also says payload .bin files are not supported with B9. Can I convert the payloads I have?
- Can I still use Gateway?

D

Deleted User

I briefly looked over the guide, thanks for the link to it though :)

A few quick questions before I decide to proceed with B9:

- Can I still use JKSM, BootNTR, Freeshop, and Freeshop/CIA games?
- Guide says I need secret_sector.bin, how do I get that if I don't have a Torrent downloader?
- Guide also says payload .bin files are not supported with B9. Can I convert the payloads I have?
- Can I still use Gateway?

1-Yes that all functions like normal

2-I'm not quite shure how else.If you have a pc you would need to download it as your torrent client then get it that way.

3-Yes you can.Bootctr9 (which can be booted as a .firm once you switch to b9s) can be used to boot most of your old bin payloads aswell as using it with ctrbootmanager which also has a firm version.

4-With bootctr9 (which gives you backwards compatibility with all bin payloads) you can run gateway with a 11.2 emunand

Last edited by ,

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I also need to setup an EmuNAND for Boot9? Someone said that during EmuNAND setup, I will lose everything in SysNAND??

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

1-Yes that all functions like normal

2-I'm not quite shure how else.If you have a pc you would need to download it as your torrent client then get it that way.

3-Yes you can.Bootctr9 (which can be booted as a .firm once you switch to b9s) can be used to boot most of your old bin payloads aswell as using it with ctrbootmanager which also has a firm version.

4-With bootctr9 (which gives you backwards compatibility with all bin payloads) you can run gateway with a 11.2 emunand

Ok, I also need to setup an EmuNAND for Boot9? Someone said that during EmuNAND setup, I will lose everything in SysNAND?? Help setting all this up would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am thinking about going with B9. The main reason I still use Gateway is for the cheat feature it has. I did use BootNTR cheat plugins and those work fine for me. With a B9/Luma setup, can I still use BootNTR, even if I update system firmware? Help appreciated [emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am thinking about going with B9. The main reason I still use Gateway is for the cheat feature it has. I did use BootNTR cheat plugins and those work fine for me. With a B9/Luma setup, can I still use BootNTR, even if I update system firmware? Help appreciated [emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes.

Reactions: Skeet1983

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released