1. marioxb

OP marioxb Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Hey there, I just soft modded my "new to me" Japanese New 3DS using 3dsguide.com a couple days ago. I used the method for 11.5 that had me install GodMode9, Luma 8 and FBI. I followed the guide completely and backed up my NAND.

The problem is that I don't like stumbling through the Japanese menus and having some games still in Japanese. I know there are a few methods to "fix" this but I have a few questions first. Keeping access to the Japanese eshop is a must! I don't care about the US shop, as I have a US regular 3DS. Now I see that changing regions breaks the shop, so I don't want to do that. Now is it considered the same thing (breaking eshop) if I just install a USA emuNAND, but keep my sysNAND in Japanese, and is this even possible? Can I just "put" a USA emuNAND on my microsd without "installing" it? Would that make a difference, is that possible?

Is there any way to just put some stuff on an sd card to make it fake English menus without changing the region at all? Even if just some/ most of the menus. As is, I have to "follow along" with my American 3DS everytime I need to go to a menu or something on my Japanese New 3DS.

My other question: why doesn't FBI allow me to install CIAs (who came up with these idiotic names that make me think the feds are monitoring) anymore? I was able to install the ones from the setup files just fine, but now they don't have an install option, just "Copy/ delete/ rename" or whatever. For example, I download a cia file of DSiware Flipnote (the old one) and a cia of Freeshop. Neither would give me an install option, however I was able to install freeshop by using the QR code install from the exact place I got the cia! What's going on?

Sorry for all the questions. I tried searching everywhere and I don't think you can post on 3dsguide.

2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Australia
    1. You can have a US emuNAND but you'll only be able to access the eShop on your Japanese sysNAND
    2. FBI is a play on the name of installable 3DS files - cia which stands for CTR Installable Archive. Try enabling file extensions on your computer, as maybe they are .zip.cia or something.

3. marioxb

OP marioxb Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Thanks, I got both problems fixed. There aren't a lot of good tutorials for installing an emunand. Like for Luma, it says to put the emunand with the name firmware.bin and another file named cetk in the luma folder. OK, fine, but where do we find these files? I tried using a crt transfer file renamed, but I didn't know where to find a cetk file.

Here's what I ended up doing: copied contents of micro SD to my computer. Put the SD back in my New3DS and went into GodMode9. Used the option to format the SD for rednand. Not entirely sure what this does since the SD was blank afterwards, but there were now Emunand directories on the top screen. Then I used the 3DS.guide tutorial to download a torrent of a USA firmware crt transfer file. Instead of installing to sysNAND, I installed to emuNAND. It worked!

Now if I start the N3DS as usual, I get a Japanese menu, where I can still use the Japanese eShop. Then I rebooted into Luma and checked "autoboot emuNAND", saved, and my Japanese N3DS booted in English! The shop throws me an error of course, but as I said, I can use my US 3DS for that, and turn off emuNAND if I need to use the Japanese shop or do anything else on the sysNAND.

My cia problem turned out to be downloading the cia(s) from my Android phone. For some reason, they aren't recognized that way, but when I used my Windows PC, they worked fine.

I found out that in order for DSiware to work, it needs to be installed on both sysNAND and emuNAND. Some 3DS stuff shows up in both nands after only installing in emuNAND, some doesn't. Not sure why.

Has there been a better fix for DSiware or GBA VC titles yet, as exiting a GBA game goes back to sysNAND instead of EmuNAND? No biggie, I can always reboot the system after playing a GBA game if need be.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  4. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Australia
    No there's no fix, this is why people don't generally use an emuNAND. Glad you got it working.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - installing, different, questions