Homebrew Emunand 2.1 to Sysnand Brick Megathread

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The guide actually told you to restore sysNAND with the emuNAND.bin you currently had in your SD. (Which was the bricked 2.1 emuNAND it previously told you to install.)
In part 4 section 2 it says after you downgrade your emunand to boot into sysnand and load OTP helper. For N3DS select unbrick FW 2.1 emunand and then restore to sysnand. (This is the part of the guide where everyone is bricking their systems.)

If you followed those steps you are not restoring a bricked emunand to sysnand.

On O3DS the emunand is not bricked so you do not need to unbrick it before restoring to sysnand.

Also I feel like you just made my point about people reading the guides but not understanding them.

Last edited by Bu2d85,

Purge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have done systems using both the old and new guide.

The issue appears to be primarily withN3DS systems. I personally feel that it is do to the guide switching to cakes which is a lot more complicated then it should be. That and using OTP helper to unbrick the 2.1 emunand.

Almost no one has bricked downgrading from 10.6 to 9.2. They all brick when flashing the 2.1 sysnand. There has got to be either something wrong with cakes or OTP helper.
I'm still convinced that the bricks are caused by user error. People here with bricked 3DSs may say/think that they did everything right but they're probably just not aware of the mistakes they made, which is understandable, as the whole process is pretty damn long, tedious and convoluted. It took me 5-6 hours to get from the beginning of part 2 to the end of part 5 (probably took longer than it should have since I wasn't using menuhax and I was being pretty cautious). And like I stated earlier, I used my N3DS and I ran into 0 problems. After flashing 2.1 I got a black screen, but I was able to boot after taking out the microSD.

Omegablu

We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To my knowledge, fw 2.1 was before the n3ds. Therefore, the downgrade would be made with o3ds files. O3ds fw on n3ds generally tends to break things, right? So many of the issues could be that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: If it helps, my a9lh install went flawlessly. O3ds, with 9.2u Sysnand and 10.6u Emunand.

Last edited by Omegablu,

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To my knowledge, fw 2.1 was before the n3ds. Therefore, the downgrade would be made with o3ds files. O3ds fw on n3ds generally tends to break things, right? So many of the issues could be that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: If it helps, my a9lh install went flawlessly. O3ds, with 9.2u Sysnand and 10.6u Emunand.
"... So many of the issues could be that. Correct me if I'm wrong..."

Everything before the quoted part is correct. The quoted part problem is: Flashing old firmware to N3DS definitely causes a brick. However, the purpose of OTPHelper and the bat (in the old guide) are to unbrick so make it safe to flash to SYSNAND. So when the problem arises after using OTPhelper & the bat; either users make mistake or the apps fail their job.

The developer wants to find the cause of bricking, so he can make the app safe. So far, it's more likely the user end is where the problem lies with.

Last edited by tivu100,

Omegablu

We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"... So many of the issues could be that. Correct me if I'm wrong..."

Everything before the quoted part is correct. The quoted part problem is: Flashing old firmware to N3DS definitely causes a brick. However, the purpose of OTPHelper and the bat (in the old guide) are to unbrick so make it safe to flash to SYSNAND. So when the problem arises after using OTPhelper & the bat; either user causes the problem or the apps failed their job.

The developer wants to find the cause of bricking, so he can make the app safe. So far, it's more likely the user end is where the problem is.
I see. So the app attemps unbricking on Emunand. I only have an o3ds, so I didn't know anything about the features included for n3ds. Thanks though, always good to learn something new.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm still convinced that the bricks are caused by user error. People here with bricked 3DSs may say/think that they did everything right but they're probably just not aware of the mistakes they made, which is understandable, as the whole process is pretty damn long, tedious and convoluted. It took me 5-6 hours to get from the beginning of part 2 to the end of part 5 (probably took longer than it should have since I wasn't using menuhax and I was being pretty cautious). And like I stated earlier, I used my N3DS and I ran into 0 problems. After flashing 2.1 I got a black screen, but I was able to boot after taking out the microSD.
took me under 2 hours on N3DS with OTPhelp and @ihaveamac running me through it cause i was lazy OTPhelper worked perfectly

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

2.1 on the N3DS is very unstable. Every time I closed the web browser the system locked up. Unstable and bricking when flashed are to different things. It may be unstable but it works.

Almost every brick has been N3DS. I have actually not heard of an O3DSbrick that was not user error. I did my N3DS using the old guide about a week ago and I did my kids O3DS's using the new guide with a few changes because I did not trust it. The old guide had more steps but it was easier to use and understand.

On my kids systems I did not use cakes because I already had AuReiNand and the only thing I used OTP helper for was dumping the OTP and restoring the 9.2 sysnand from 2.1. (Side note: OTP helper will not restore a NAND made with the GW launcher.)

With almost every brick being N3DS on the same step and mostly with the new guide it has to be something that changed. The only changes were cakes and OTP helper. Could it be user error? Yes, especially with how complicated cakes is. There is no way to know for sure until we get more data.

Reactions: epicmartin7

Purge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
took me under 2 hours on N3DS with OTPhelp and @ihaveamac running me through it cause i was lazy OTPhelper worked perfectly
Nice, glad to hear it. Yeah it took me way too long haha. I had to use my laptop because my desktop doesn't have an sd card reader so dragging files around using a touchpad definitely slowed things down considerably

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm concerned about a few things when downgrading my N3DS to 2.1. Is the 3DS ok with a downgrade when your menu has things that weren't around back then? Such as folders, themes, and badges (especially badges that launch applications), could the presence of these items on my menu cause the 3DS to brick when downgrading? Also, my EMUNAND is over 100GBs of software, does this process require for the entire micro SD card to be copied? I thought I saw it did, which if true means I would need to free up a lot of space on my PC, and could take a very long time to do.

Frelia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I'm concerned about a few things when downgrading my N3DS to 2.1. Is the 3DS ok with a downgrade when your menu has things that weren't around back then? Such as folders, themes, and badges (especially badges that launch applications), could the presence of these items on my menu cause the 3DS to brick when downgrading? Also, my EMUNAND is over 100GBs of software, does this process require for the entire micro SD card to be copied? I thought I saw it did, which if true means I would need to free up a lot of space on my PC, and could take a very long time to do.
That shouldn't matter, because the target emunand that is downgraded to 2.1 is formatted twice so there's nothing on it (except sysupdater). One of the bricks has been on a completely clean, new N3DS system, following the guide. There may be some variations in the specific model that causes the failure.

Juiss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I installed A9LH on 2 N3DSes, I used the old guide for both and only encountered a problem after swapping the 9.2 sysNAND and 10.6 emuNAND on my own system.
I may just have gotten lucky, but the downgrade on both systems went flawlessly so I assume it's down to user error.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: