Homebrew Question Emulators that word with EXFAT SD Cards on SXOS?

icefox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean? I know lakka/retroarch and stuff apparently don't work in Exfat. Looking for N64 emulators in particular.
lakka is an independent linux system with retroarch. it is parallel to sx os. retroarch as an nsp/nro works under sx os and exfat just fine. only that exfat tends to get corrupted so it's strongly discouraged.

Reactions: xs4all

Ygolonac

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lakka is an independent linux system with retroarch. it is parallel to sx os. retroarch as an nsp/nro works under sx os and exfat just fine. only that exfat tends to get corrupted so it's strongly discouraged.
So the emulators will work and show up if I just put them in an EXfat card on SXOS? how much of a big deal is the possible corruption?

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are either hardheaded about wanting to stick with exfat or just don't know all the facts. There's literarly zero reason to continue to use exfat. Fat32 has no corruption and you can just install your games with the usb cord that you need to load your payload with usb install and that ignores the 4 gb limit when you do that which without it is the only downside of Fat32 having a 4 gb limit, but since it exists there isn't any.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
At this point in time there is literally no good reason why you’d use an exFAT formated SD card over a FAT32 one on a daily-use Switch. The argument that you can’t fit games over 4GB on an FAT32 SD card is trash because all games, no matter the size, are unpacked to small files when installed from an NSP. Unpacked means installed. You can use a USB drive to store all your NSPs and install from them to your FAT32 SD card or NAND. Or, if you prefer XCIs, you can read them directly from the USB drive.

The only times to use an exFAT SD card is when you boot your Switch for the first time to make a complete NAND backup and restore one.

icefox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the emulators will work and show up if I just put them in an EXfat card on SXOS? how much of a big deal is the possible corruption?
yes under sxos exfat and fat32 work identically for emulation. I used exfat for 6 months or so and experienced about ten corruption situations. A game suddenly won't load and when I inspect it the file has zero bytes. I held out on exfat because some games are 4+ gb and I didn't want to bother with cutting them. But then sxos supported installing nsp and xci from usb. I finally converted to fat32. For games which are 4+ gb, I now simply load it up in my exfat usb-c drive and install the game. There's no reason for exfat SD now.

Reactions: Rahkeesh

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can make nand backups with fat32, it splits the backup in 2gb parts which can be combined with the joiner scripts on the official hekate releases page https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases :P
Why make life harder? Who doesn't have a second microSD card lying around? Even just a 32GB will do. Format it to exfat and use exclusively for NAND backup and restore needs.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You can make nand backups with fat32, it splits the backup in 2gb parts which can be combined with the joiner scripts on the official hekate releases page https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases :P
You can’t restore a NAND backup if it’s split which means you are forced to use exFAT if you ever want to make use of your NAND backup. It makes more sense to backup your NAND whole on an exFAT SD card instead of backup it on a FAT32 SD card, copy the files to a PC, join them, format your SD to exFAT, copy the joined NAND backup to the exFAT SD card and restore your NAND from there, wouldn’t you think?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over