Emulator that has colors like a GB game would have on a GBC

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Jordan10la, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Jordan10la
    OP

Jordan10la GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2008
    Canada
    Can it be done by any GB emulators on the DS? I have lameboy now but it seems to only have SGB colors and black and white. I can turn SGB emulation off and keep GBC set to Always but then it's only B&W.

2. kobykaan

kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

Aug 27, 2007

LAMEBOY AFAIK can use gameboy sgb colors but I think it has to be specified in the .ini file or something .. cannot remember??

3. Jordan10la
    OP

Jordan10la GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2008
    Canada
    SGB colors can be turned on in the GUI but thats not what I want. I want it to have the same colors as if it were being played in a GBC (some colors but not like SGB)

4. Doomsday Forte

Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2007
    United States
    Wrong system, but I know the Rin GBC emulator for the PSP can do it. I have no idea if it was ported to the DS or not, sorry.

5. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    Those colours are set up in the GBC BIOS I believe, so unless an emulator uses that (hint: Lameboy doesn't) you're out of luck.

6. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Sadly, there's still no true SGB emulator for any system. Not even PC. [​IMG]

Emulators can use a game's included SGB borders and palettes. But not 16-bit features like the SGB menu, since that'd require emulating GB and SNES at the same time.

7. Garcimak

Garcimak Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2006
    Belgium
    Belgium
  8. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    He's not looking for SGB support, he's looking for GBC colours support. The GBC BIOS included custom colours for scores of original Game Boy games; obviously, it had no way of knowing when to switch palettes, since those games only had one palette, so it would just use one four-colour palette for the length of the game.

9. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Oh yeah...

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Some of the GBA GB emulators supported palettes. Others have given some fairly good info.

@Haruhi I seem to recall once playing a two player bomberman off a GB rom, what do menus matter then.

11. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Sorry, nevermind. My bad. I read GBC as SGB. [​IMG]

12. DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    The point is that since the colors were stored directly on the undumpable GBC BIOS, you cannot automatically get these colorizations on any emulator ever. Emulators that do have this feature probably made their own databases of color information for different games, recreating the palettes to the best of their ability.