Emulator Survey: NES (Nestopia-UE or FCEU-X)

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by Sonic Angel Knight, May 4, 2017.

?

NESTOPIA UE VS FCEU X

1. NESTOPIA UE

33.3%
  2. FCEU X

66.7%
  1. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    The question is simple, which one do you use, prefer to use or just use more, or i guess you think is better to use or recommend to someone, or in other words just vote for your favorite. I'm looking for a good one, and these two seem to be neck and neck with rating.

NESTOPIA UE

INFO

FCEU X

INFO

Just to add a bit of info, I been using Nestopia as primary PC emulator for years, is lightweight and reliable and useful for common use and rom hacks, even comes with a ips patcher, various nes controller accessories, some other nice things. But FCEUX is common among many console homebrew ports like wii, gamecube, and others that may been noticed if you have modded CFW stuff. Besides using it on those things, the pc emulator isn't anything short of what it can do and even the website has the latest version 2.2.3 six months after the most recent version of nestopia UE 1.47. It also says that "it is an all-encompassing version of the FCEU emulator that provides the best of all worlds for the general player, the ROM-hacking community, and the Tool-Assisted Speedrun Community." To me it sounds like the definitive nes emulator for the internet. Is not bad either. :P

Still since i came across them both, they have been tied by many as equal, but i wanna know what the public thinks. Which one is your favorite? The fact that a website would list them as both equal with only a 0.1 difference has me interested in knowing your opinion. :)

Untitled2.png

2. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Nestopia all the way. This one is the most accurate and still runs perfectly on low end machines.

3. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    FCEUX is accurate enough to run even the trickiest games, yet runs full speed on a mobile Pentium III. And yes, I speak from experience.

Last edited by Fishaman P, May 4, 2017
  4. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    Nestopia...i've been using it for speed runs recently. FCEUX skips on me for some reason, not sure why but instead of searching for a fix, i went with Nestopia and have not looked back. I just wish there was a splits feature built in, so we can track speed runs in emu, also an option to soft reset the emulator with a button press.

i was going to take a shot at adding in a time split thing but i don't think i have the capability to add it.

5. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    i use ranes cause achievements are fun

6. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Going with FCEUX because I am lazy and it's basically part of every single Linux repo.

7. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    I use Nestopia on my PC, but my Wii is still on FCEU GX. I need to get w/ this Retroarch thing I guess.

8. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Achievements? O_O
    Not sure i understand the statement. :P

Retroarch is simply just using a bunch of emulator cores, so if you can't decide between which emulator and don't want a bunch of stand alone emulators hanging around your storage, i guess is okay. Personally i don't use retroarch for personal reasons.

Seem like FCEUX is winning, though i dunno why. :unsure:

9. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I know it works with Linux, but it's rarely part of the official repos.
    FCEUX is often the NES emulator of choice for most Linux distros, it's even part of the Solus repos
    Screenshot from 2017-05-04 00-13-06.png
    I am lazy and would rather use the one provided by the Solus team instead of compiling it myself

10. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Really? You hardly seem like the lazy type, also I suppose is hard to respond or comment since I don't know about linux or what a distro is as much as you do. What I do know is that is not like either of them are bad at all. Though FCEUX do have more common place, with all the ports people do for it including console homebrew, unlike nestopia, seem to be more focused on PC.

11. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
  12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Nestopia all the way, FECU has audio crackling issues that Nestopia doesn't suffer from, that and it can play VRC6/7 games perfectly.

13. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well i noticed nestopia has more graphic filter shaders fceux don't yet, wonder if it can change soon. I do like fceux debugging, and tas tools, but nestopia works just as well and have more casual appeal, and also has rewind. Though since FCEUX is for tas videos, i think it aims for better compatibility than nestopia, though i never had any problems with roms or hacks on both. TOO MUCH TO DECIDE!:wacko:

14. jurassicplayer

jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Pantsuland
  15. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    linux-zen
    FCEUX 2.2.3 both runs better on my laptop and can run games that Nestopia UE 1.47 cannot (such as Dooly Bravo Land.)

16. RoseyDreamy

RoseyDreamy TheKawaiiNeko

Mar 25, 2017
    England
    @jurassicplayer Any idea what desktop environment is being used in their Linux Mint install? I had a look at that website and it didn't say, it'd be useful to include although it is not a big impact I suppose.

Just to add: I use FCEUX. Not sure why, but it was one of the first emulators I used, it's pretty good and supports a lot of mappers just like Nestopia. I suppose it boils down more to if you have played rare games or hard-to-emulate games, in which you'd be sure to have a more valid opinion.