Emulator developer byuu demonstrates how DerKoun's HD Mode 7 SNES emulation works

Earlier this year, we saw the release of a fork of the bsnes emulator, which thanks to the efforts of DerKoun, allowed for HD upscaling of Mode 7 assets in Super Nintendo games. A few months later, the ability to emulate SNES games in widescreen would also be added, along with supersampling modes that could go up to 10x the original resolution. Eventually, byuu, developer of bsnes, decided to officially incorporate these additions into future builds of his emulator, with further betas of the bsnes-hd emulator offering slight bugfixes and improvements. For many, these phrases and ideas can be a little hard to understand, so byuu has decided to upload a YouTube video demonstrating the changes and improvements that the HD Mode 7 feature adds, while also explaining what some of these terms mean, and do for the end user. If you're interested, you can check out the 9-minute video, linked above.

In this video I demonstrate the recent HD mode 7 functionality in bsnes, which is courtesy of DerKoun. While explaining the origin of the feature and how it works, I demonstrate the effect in real-time in Pilotwings, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Dragon Quest III. I then walk through an explanation of how to use the various HD mode 7 settings present in bsnes.

Official bsnes releases can be downloaded here: https://bsnes.byuu.org/
Nightly builds and source code can be downloaded here: https://github.com/byuu/bsnes

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to say, after reading a lot about this. This short video has the best in depth look at what's actually going on.

It's eye candy to see him adjust the resolution in real time.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Need a Epyc 7742 or Epyc 7H12 for this bitch. This is a CPU destroyer. But, it's absolutely incredible how much the different is in resolution.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the way it sounds I wouldn't be able to run this on my i7 6700 :( rip
still it's great work and the games look amazing

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
You mean that a tweaked snes emulator is more demanding than a wii u emulator? Oo

I would think that Dolphin is more optimized than this particular effect as it stands now. I'm sure in a few months, maybe a year, it will be much less demanding. I dunno, I could be wrong though, but this is new stuff, and generally it improves with time.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is phenominal. I prefer to use Emulators over Consoles just because these days the native resolutions of older consoles strains my eyes. (I'm getting old, 28 tomorrow...)

Anyway, I can't see this being incredibly demanding for modern hardware. I mean, PS1 recommended hardware is a joke by todays standards even for an entry level PC or Laptop. ePSXe's Recommended specs are only 1GHz processor and 512Mb of RAM :rofl2: SEE HERE

It probably takes a little more processing power for this application shown on bsnes, but I can't see you having to break the bank in order to get the feature working.

Reactions: Reynardine

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You mean that a tweaked snes emulator is more demanding than a wii u emulator? Oo
Bsnes/higan/whatever is an actual (low level) emulator that goes for accuracy first (which actually makes me very skeptical of upscaling, meaning less accuracy with respect to graphical output), Dolphin by default is an HLE which is more about "running GC/Wii software" than "replicating the system and its accessories" even though obviously it has to do some of the latter, but with more liberties taken

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would think that Dolphin is more optimized than this particular effect as it stands now. I'm sure in a few months, maybe a year, it will be much less demanding. I dunno, I could be wrong though, but this is new stuff, and generally it improves with time.
Dolphin is GC/Wii. Wii U is something like Cemu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...