CyborgLizard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still a noob to all of this, but here is my question:

I have found a megaman x wad for virtual console but could not find x2 or x3. I then realized that there is probably an snes emulator that plays all of those anyways with no need to install and uninstall wads (am I right?). Since all i have been doing so far is just installing VC wads and playing those.

So, is the snes9x emulator as smooth and what not as a virtual console game might be? Would megaman x VC be indistinguishable from megaman x2 snes9x?

The reason I ask is because on my computer, I recall snes9x being choppy and just not TV quality if you know what I mean.

Thanks.

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In my opinion, SNES9xgx is better than VC games because there's customizable options, as well as multiple controller options, AND it runs pretty much every SNES game, I think, haha.
smile.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah Virtual Console does use emulatiors, at times Nintendo actually uses various homebrew emulators and never the best versions. Especially the C64 ones that are usually bug ridden.

At the moment N64 VC is better than what we can use but others are a lot better and being able to customise controls and so on helps.

CyborgLizard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just tried snes9x for the wii. works great! thanks guys.

My issue was that I have a USA wii but most wads out there are PAL wads and won't play.

Speaking of which, how can one with a USA wii play PAL wads? I was thinking USB loader GX can someone do it but I am not sure if it can or how it might do that.

(If i have not mentioned before I am a new to the wii)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CyborgLizard said:
just tried snes9x for the wii. works great! thanks guys.

My issue was that I have a USA wii but most wads out there are PAL wads and won't play.

Speaking of which, how can one with a USA wii play PAL wads? I was thinking USB loader GX can someone do it but I am not sure if it can or how it might do that.

(If i have not mentioned before I am a new to the wii)
Stuff I grab is usually region free anyway but I used to use "freethewads". There is supposed to be something better but I've never used that program so can't remember the name.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Showmiiwads has the very same option (somewhere within the plethora of other choices you can do with it).

There's also an option within priiloader to override all region settings (Region Free EVERYTHING). That probably includes wads, but I haven't tested that myself (I tend to stick to emulation...and use uloader for my wiiware needs).

bluebowser31

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"At the moment N64 VC is better than what we can use..."

howd you get that? if you mean wii64, it runs SSB at full fps, that seems pretty good... oh and mario kart64

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
bluebowser31 said:

howd you get that? if you mean wii64, it runs SSB at full fps, that seems pretty good... oh and mario kart64

Nowt wrong with wii64, and said game (plus a few others) do indeed run really well, but from what I've seen a good, ooh, two-thirds of the N64 games released on VC run better than they do on wii64...... for the most part I'll play the VC version first...
Snes9xgx on the other hand, well there's no need for ANY VC SNES game with that (especially with Nintendo's laughable inclusion of PAL borders on VC games for us PAL users! Unbelievable really!)

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
CyborgLizard said:
Still a noob to all of this, but here is my question:

I have found a megaman x wad for virtual console but could not find x2 or x3. I then realized that there is probably an snes emulator that plays all of those anyways with no need to install and uninstall wads (am I right?). Since all i have been doing so far is just installing VC wads and playing those.

I have playing a MegaMan X injected wad too, but the game doesn't store my advacements (for example after defeat a master robot the game promt me to the first stage), and yeah MMX2 and MMX3 didn't work becuase they use the SNES SFX chip, which hasn't been emulated officially yet.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unlike XBL games, which are generally enhanced versions of older games.
Virtual console = emulator

So you might as well just use an emulator.

BuffaloBill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer running the emulators just for being able to do a save state. That alone makes it worth it. Fast forward on the games it does work on is a big plus as well.

luminalace

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah most of the major emulators on Wii run just as good as the Virtual console and if your a pal user, they actually run at 60HZ which is better than Nintendo's VC!

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
bluebowser31 said:

I think I get bluebowser`s main point. To tell you the truth, when you see Paper Mario on VC ,it looks equally as it is in N64, this kind of "emulation" until now is near impossible including framebuffer effects and stuff, but it´s fully completed on Wii (which system specs aren´t THAT high).

If we think about "N64 Emulation", and want to enjoy a piece of game on, ie: PC, we´d need somewhat to 2GHZ computer to barely see accurate framebuffer effects, like in Conker, Paper Mario, etc.

So i agree, N64 VC Code it´s almost "magic".

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure the answer is no but I'll ask anyway just on the off chance... any methods to convert saves between VC and roms?
biggrin.gif

Also, the injected WADs, how do those work anyway? I came upon a WAD for Zelda OOT Master Quest, it shows up as an n64 VC title... but it was only released officially for gamecube wasn't it?

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
bwillb said:
I'm sure the answer is no but I'll ask anyway just on the off chance... any methods to convert saves between VC and roms?
biggrin.gif

Also, the injected WADs, how do those work anyway? I came upon a WAD for Zelda OOT Master Quest, it shows up as an n64 VC title... but it was only released officially for gamecube wasn't it?

Yes you can convert between VC and emulator saves, but there is no single app to do it, you have to copy the VC save to your SD card, unpack it, and then you may or may not have to convert it from there depending on which emulator you want to use it on. The reverse is true for emu->vc.

As far as the roms, you don't "convert" vcrom. VC wads CONTAIN a rom, so you either unpack it out of the wad or you inject a new rom into an existing wad (and injections don't always work).

Edit: And about the Master Quest rom, yes it was released for GameCube, but they emulated it, they didn't convert it to a "real" GameCube game. Think of it as an early version of VC for GameCube. The actual Master Quest rom was actually still an N64 rom which can be run in any N64 emulator.

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
qwertymodo said:
bwillb said:
biggrin.gif

Yes you can convert between VC and emulator saves, but there is no single app to do it, you have to copy the VC save to your SD card, unpack it, and then you may or may not have to convert it from there depending on which emulator you want to use it on. The reverse is true for emu->vc.

As far as the roms, you don't "convert" vcrom. VC wads CONTAIN a rom, so you either unpack it out of the wad or you inject a new rom into an existing wad (and injections don't always work).

Edit: And about the Master Quest rom, yes it was released for GameCube, but they emulated it, they didn't convert it to a "real" GameCube game. Think of it as an early version of VC for GameCube. The actual Master Quest rom was actually still an N64 rom which can be run in any N64 emulator.
ohh i see, thats cool, thanks for the info. I'll have to look into wad injecting and unpacking. And true gamecube games like windwaker can only be played from disc, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 👈 Always touching 🍆 +1