Hacking Homebrew Emulating a PSP

blackjack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well is it possible to emulate the PSP on your computer? I was just wondering.
Imo it is not possible but tell me please
tongue.gif

yaynds.gif

Excelerate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
State of PS2 emulation?

Buggy, graphics are missing, freezes up on almost all games (the best emulators seem aimed at making Final Fantasy work before any other game), and a framerate that would make a baby's cry seem like fun.

When you're getting 15 FPS on a high end computer, you know we're a long way off.

walkir

Child of Darkness
Trophies
XP
Country

MiloFoxburr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
State of PS2 emulation?

Buggy, graphics are missing, freezes up on almost all games (the best emulators seem aimed at making Final Fantasy work before any other game), and a framerate that would make a baby's cry seem like fun.

When you're getting 15 FPS on a high end computer, you know we're a long way off.

Pretty sure PCSX2 is now alot faster and better that what you're suggesting.. Then again I don't have a powerful system to test it on

Critical_Impact

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
60 fps on Final Fantasy 10 on PCSX2 0.92 here but I dont want to play it untill they fix the FMVs. Would you believe they were working in the earlier version but now they arent. How annoying
tongue.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Isn't PSP 32-bit, while the PS2 Emotion Engine is 128-bit? I think the PSP should be much easier to emulate.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you are right and wrong> Real psp emulator is in the work! Do not asked him when!

QUOTE said:
ector;1037217 Wrote:
Okay, here's the deal.

The PSP has ****loads of encryption all over it, making real emulation very very hard or impossible. I have tried, and succeeded, somewhat, using a more HLE approach. Information was gained from the ps2dev/pspdev project, and a little bit of reversing. The problem is that there are so many goddamn Sony libraries that have to be reversed and implemented, and with Sony releasing new functionality in every firmware it's impossible to keep up.

Another problem is that newer games don't include unencrypted binaries on the disc. For some reason unknown to me, the first hundred games or so did. Any later games are not going to work, unless the corresponding PSP firmware is hacked so that it can be used to predecrypt the binaries.

Anyway, some simple games are running. Check it out:

http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~tronic/puzbobingame2.png

http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~tronic/puyoingame.png

They're running about 50%-100% with an interpreter, but that's just because these games are so stupidly simple. More complex games would run a lot slower, but there's huge potential for good dynarecs on PSP. PSP, ignoring the problems of unknown hardware parts and unknown system libraries, is probably much easier to emulate at good speeds than the PS2.

Still, the problem of ever-increasing numbers and nastiness of librares, some completely unknown hardware (the media decoder stuff) etc make it near impossible to do a real emulator, as I already stated above.

I have not decided whether it's worth releasing.

Don't post this as front-page news either, this isn't an official announcement or anything.

See?
smile.gif

Excelerate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's one game and a 2D game. 3D has always been a pain and much more difficult to do. Besides, sound is also going to be a pain.

Unless an emulator coder gets his/her hands on a devkit, you won't be seeing an emulator any time soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1