Hacking eMMC and not a NAND

greyneon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Might just be me but the 3DS have a eMMC and not a NAND so why are people reffering to it as a NAND? It is just like the so calles JTAG hack on xbox 360 its an SMC hack via the JTAG port. Finding it binda annoying... Anybody else?

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Might just be me but the 3DS have a eMMC and not a NAND so why are people reffering to it as a NAND? It is just like the so calles JTAG hack on xbox 360 its an SMC hack via the JTAG port. Finding it binda annoying... Anybody else?

because NAND is the technology used by said eMMC chip to store the information, just like most SD cards (which are kinda lika a sibling of eMMC)

Reactions: Daku93

greyneon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ahh i see. Thank you for clearing that up :-)

Edit:

Could we solder on a SD card to store the data while the 3ds still sees the NAND? Or even replace NAND with the SD?

Cyberdrive

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Wiki links above tell me that eMMC = flash memory + controller in one BGA package, and NAND is the type of flash memory.
Speaking of replacing NAND with SD - who knows, hardware NAND dumping/flashing is done via SD/MMC interface. But even if it's theoretically doable, there's still firmware encryption to be figured out.

greyneon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wiki links above tell me that eMMC = flash memory + controller in one BGA package, and NAND is the type of flash memory.
Speaking of replacing NAND with SD - who knows, hardware NAND dumping/flashing is done via SD/MMC interface. But even if it's theoretically doable, there's still firmware encryption to be figured out.

But hardware wise it's doable? For example to simplify up and downgrade via a SD card? Maybe even use sparkfuns SD sniffer as a man-in-the-middle?

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Technically, if you can produce an alternate controller which is interfaced with in the exact same way as the eMMc, you could even hook it up to a punch card machine type storage device. It's a basic block box principle, the eMMC controller doesn't (or shouldn't) expose any of the internals of the actual storage package.

Whether or not anyone is both skilled and insane enough to pursue any effort like this is debatable, of course.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No matter the limit he always gives the tip