Hacking Emegency - Hard Drive not Detected By Wii U

tivu100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So just have Wii U turned on & external HDD not recognized (this is external drive with its own power adapter). If Is there way to check with FTP Everywhere if the Hard drive did get recognized to back up save data?

D

Deleted User

Hey, we need more info...
What did you do... is it powered on? etc. etc.

tivu100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, we need more info...
What did you do... is it powered on? etc. etc.
I didn't do anything. Was working fine last night. Just turned on now and Wii U take a couple minutes trying to detect the hard drive (the usb icon blinking). Then Wii U simply ignored the HDD. Yes everything should be powered on.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
I didn't do anything. Was working fine last night. Just turned on now and Wii U take a couple minutes trying to detect the hard drive (the usb icon blinking). Then Wii U simply ignored the HDD. Yes everything should be powered on.

Ok does the hdd light come on? Can you try another USB cable? Can the wiiu detect another device like a flash drive?

tivu100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I partially solved the problem myself!

K. First of all. I did try will other usb & Wii u detected & work fine. (Try to run WUP installer GX2 to install a small game: Shovel Knight to check).

I did check with another usb cable for the "non working" HDD. Same result: not detected by Wii U. The HDD light is turned on, but stayed solid (not blinking)... So I thinking perhaps for some reason the HDD was iddle so I downloaded the WUP Installer Mod Y which has rescan SD card & folder option. I rescan that & the HDD light start blinking normall. Get back to Home Menu & Hard Drive detected. I try to run a games for last 15 minutes & it worked well with no problem.

However, when I go to settings menu to transfer the save files, Wii U again does not recognized the HDD.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It happened to me about a month ago, the drive would start (no heads "beeping" due to limited current) but the HDD icon wouldn't light up on the launcher, didn't try with homebrew

I think I just left the drive and/or console unplugged for a while (was in the process of hacking Vwii to research region changing, and didn't want to wear out the drive with useless start/stops, then after an evening of work I turned off the console for a couple of weeks), then turned it back on, realized the drive was still unplugged so I connected it during the CBHC menu, once I reached the launcher it popped up the usual "don't hotplug USB with the power on kthx" and soft reset, then it just worked again...

Reactions: CallmeBerto

tivu100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It happened to me about a month ago, the drive would start (no heads "beeping" due to limited current) but the HDD icon wouldn't light up on the launcher, didn't try with homebrew

I think I just left the drive and/or console unplugged for a while (was in the process of hacking Vwii to research region changing, and didn't want to wear out the drive with useless start/stops, then after an evening of work I turned off the console for a couple of weeks), then turned it back on, realized the drive was still unplugged so I connected it during the CBHC menu, once I reached the launcher it popped up the usual "don't hotplug USB with the power on kthx" and soft reset, then it just worked again...
So your HDD just work well after that?

Mine is needed to do the whole process I described above everytime now AND whenever I go to settings menu trying to back up the save files, the Wii U stopped detecting the HDD.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hello,

If your WiiU HDD's data is not recognized by the WiiU itself, it's probably impossible to read and backup the data with homebrew.
can you list games located on it and launch them ? only the "data menu" is not seeing your drive, or can't you use it at all?

Homebrew are using the original WiiU functions to mount and access the HDD content so I don't think you can recover your files.

There's a project (no idea if it's still maintained) to allow access of WiiU HDD directly from a computer, but I don't know if it would help.
it can depend how badly the HDD is corrupted.

Did you try ftpiiu everywhere?
first, launch Mocha or CBHC (to allow ftpiiu everywhere to access USB).
then launch ftpiiu everywhere
if you don't see USB there, it means it can't even mount it, so you can't recover your data.

tivu100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello,

If your WiiU HDD's data is not recognized by the WiiU itself, it's probably impossible to read and backup the data with homebrew.
can you list games located on it and launch them ? only the "data menu" is not seeing your drive, or can't you use it at all?

Homebrew are using the original WiiU functions to mount and access the HDD content so I don't think you can recover your files.

There's a project (no idea if it's still maintained) to allow access of WiiU HDD directly from a computer, but I don't know if it would help.
it can depend how badly the HDD is corrupted.

Did you try ftpiiu everywhere?
first, launch Mocha or CBHC (to allow ftpiiu everywhere to access USB).
then launch ftpiiu everywhere
if you don't see USB there, it means it can't even mount it, so you can't recover your data.
If I am doing the trick with WUPInstaller Mod Y, once I exit homebrew launcher the USB is recognized & reload the games. I can get into the games & play just fine. Just some games crashed when I save. Some other games work fine.

Everytime I when to data management, the "preparing" process unmounts the HDD.

Yes. I try FTPIIU Everywhere. I can see USB folder. Just that I don't know where the save data is stored

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
oh, then you have a chance to backup your data.

I never did it myself, so it will probably be wrong, I'm doing it by memory.

it should be in
usr/save/<game title ID high>/<game title ID low>/user/8000000x

not sure where the "common" savedata are stored, maybe in /user/common/ ?

you can get the titleID High-Low on http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Title_database

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: tivu100
D

Deleted User

oh, then you have a chance to backup your data.

I never did it myself, so it will probably be wrong, I'm doing it by memory.

it should be in
usr/save/<game title ID high>/<game title ID low>/user/8000000x

not sure where the "common" savedata are stored, maybe in /user/common/ ?

you can get the titleID High-Low on http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Title_database
You can always dump your saves with SysConfigTool. Also, doesn't Wii U log files include errors related to HDD? [You can always check "Detailed log files" option in SysConfigTool...]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1