striderx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29562/ELSPA-crackdown-on-R4-piracy

ELSPA crackdown on R4 piracy, Neil Long Today, 10:52am

Trade body reveals it is working with Nintendo to stamp out DS piracy. The R4 device gives gamers free reign to pick and choose which DS titles to download for free over the web - and is widely available through online retailers like Amazon.

Amid growing concerns at retail that it is increasingly affecting sales, ELSPA has responded by preparing to crackdown on the problem in conjunction with Nintendo.

“The ELSPA IP crime unit is evaluating the R4 game copying device, as it allows for the downloading and play of illegal Nintendo DS software avaialable by the internet,” an ELSPA spokesperson told MCV.

“We are aware that Nintendo has taken actions against these devices in other countries and we are working closely with them to consider the next step in the UK.”

“Broadly speaking, it is well known that ELSPA’s IP crime unit fights vigorously against products and devices that violate our members’ IP rights, items that include devices that circumvent the security of our members’ products and promote the play of illegally copied software. We take great stock in ensuring that this continues to be the case.”

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's this kind of stuff that may be the reason the R4 team never updated to fix that Miami Nights game. ...not that I cared about that game anyway....

The only way I see them "stamping out" piracy is to somehow prevent us from DL'ing the ROMs, or completely preventing ALL sales of flashcarts, which is practically impossible. There are many other flashcarts besides the R4. Stopping just the R4 won't put even a dent in DS game piracy considering how many other flashcarts (and how many R4's) are already out there in the gamer's hands.

They are wasting their time.

Jaejae

Superfly Don't Used
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
I remember when a certain ROM site went down, the owner, Seph had a page stating his opinion on the whole NDS game piracy scene, and that he would purchase games if they were sold for a reasonable price, and if Nintendo would provide us with demos of decent length.
I would buy games if both of those criterion were met, and I beleive many others feel the same way.

Nintendo could stop, or at least hinder this "problem", yet they wont.

NekoDS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Shows how clueless these people sound when it comes to flashcarts, I admit they're more popular than ever now, back in the early GBA days flashcarts never had this much exposure.

NekoDS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I remember when a certain ROM site went down, the owner, Seph had a page stating his opinion on the whole NDS game piracy scene, and that he would purchase games if they were sold for a reasonable price, and if Nintendo would provide us with demos of decent length.
I would buy games if both of those criterion were met, and I beleive many others feel the same way.

I agree with this too.

I saw Prof. Kageyama's Maths Training for £20 today, that kind of price is a joke when you could just emulate his idea of maths training on a piece of paper in just a couple minutes.

Us Europeans get a raw deal too, FFXII Revenant Wings isn't even out here yet.
I'm not waiting that long to pay £30 for a game when I can get it 9 months earlier.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

I agree with this too.

I saw Prof. Kageyama's Maths Training for £20 today, that kind of price is a joke when you could just emulate his idea of maths training on a piece of paper in just a couple minutes.

I'm not waiting that long to pay £30 for a game when I can get it 9 months earlier.

i agree too, the prices for some DS games in the UK is beyond a joke, they are the same price as a console game! there was a simular topic on maxconsole saying the UK version of the ELSPA (or whatever they are called) were going to try and stop DS game piracy aswell.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

I agree with this too.

i agree too, the prices for some DS games in the UK is beyond a joke, they are the same price as a console game! there was a simular topic on maxconsole saying the UK version of the ELSPA (or whatever they are called) were going to try and stop DS game piracy aswell.

Well the good console games are £40
dry.gif

NekoDS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

I agree with this too.

Well the good console games are £40
dry.gif

I haven't bought a brand new PS2 game that was £40 since 2004, I paid £30 for God Hand last year, I would of paid gladly paid twice the amount since it's such a great game.

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's this kind of stuff that may be the reason the R4 team never updated to fix that Miami Nights game. ...not that I cared about that game anyway....

The only way I see them "stamping out" piracy is to somehow prevent us from DL'ing the ROMs, or completely preventing ALL sales of flashcarts, which is practically impossible. There are many other flashcarts besides the R4. Stopping just the R4 won't put even a dent in DS game piracy considering how many other flashcarts (and how many R4's) are already out there in the gamer's hands.

They are wasting their time.
They think only the R4 exists

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
well atleast someone has to stop R4 from being sold
I mean it gives a chance for other flashcarts to dominate the scene like Supercard and Cyclo with RTS and DSTT for cheapness
Too much force on R4 by officers... but gamers won't be affected

fateastray

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, I say, f ck 'em. 'Uphill battle' is an understatement. They could never succeed. Everything is crackable, so coming up with somehting new would only take some time before new solutions were found. And legally, Nintendo can't do squate. The r4 website mentions no games whatsoever, and edvertises as a homebrew solution. The manufacturer does no illigal activities, although the r4 can be used for such. (they state romnumbers, but that's no copyrighted material either. keep trying Nintendo!)

paul1991

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im glad I have connections to people living in china!

I think that if Nintendo blocked the R4 header from loading(It would be easy. I can think of 3 methods of doing so) It would kill the R4 as the R4 team is not going to update their core ROM kernel, as weve seen with the SDHC thing. And the m0difying the core is where by passing the protecton lies.

All conjecture. Long live FlashMe!

FaRReR

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To be fair in North America, DS games are sold at qite a reasonable price. I see games like Final Fantasy Revenant Wings going for about $35 retail, and when it was on sale, as low as $10. I buy a bundle of DS games every now and then, I sometimes trade em out, etc. It is very affordable here...
That's because everything in the USA is cheap.
At least a lot cheaper than stuff in Australia/Europe, I've seen DS games going for $80 and DSes for $210.
hate2.gif
hate2.gif

When I lived in America I got a new GBA game like every month lol.
gba.gif

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a feeling the TopToy and similar of the like are just designed to circumvent this.

Anyways...I hope they have success curbing the R4 demand...I can't stand people who know nothing about the scenes and downloading asking "Hey, how can I play free DS games? R4?"

Foie

That one guy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Like others have said, I hope they do succeed in taking out the R4 and/or making it harder to pirate. It will definitely help to weed out the noobs from the scene who don't belong. I remember when I had to flash my DS in order to get my EZ4 to work. People were much more knowledgable back then when it came to this sort of stuff. Now it's simply a matter of copy and pasting to pirate DS games.

.::5pYd3r::.

Viva La Pizza
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Like others have said, I hope they do succeed in taking out the R4 and/or making it harder to pirate. It will definitely help to weed out the noobs from the scene who don't belong. I remember when I had to flash my DS in order to get my EZ4 to work. People were much more knowledgable back then when it came to this sort of stuff. Now it's simply a matter of copy and pasting to pirate DS games.
And most people who want to pirate don't even know what torrenting is let alone copy and pasting. Oh and unzipping or unrarring.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu