Misc ELI5: why can Linux be run on most consoles but Windows can't?

any_name_you_wish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
all consoles after the sixth generation can be homebrewed to run some form of Linux even if their base OS isn't Linux-based. why can't Windows be run on them even if the CPU is compatible?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a lot more to running Windows than CPU architecture. The reason every console has it's own custom build of Linux is because it requires a lot of tinkering and modification to run properly in that environment. With an OS like Windows we do not have that control and configuration. Linux also tends to be a much more desired OS by hackers.

Reactions: 4d1xlaan

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It's much easier to port something when you have access to the kernel level source code. Not only is it easier to port when you can get the kernel itself ported but also it helps a lot of chipsets for USB, Wifi etc. are also open or at least got Linux drivers (Or downright supported in the kernel).

Windows ARM could maybe run on for example the Switch if all drivers for it were available for ARM or the translation layer works for even drivers.

Reactions: osaka35 and Ryab

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
One thing to note, just because the CPU architecture is the same, that doesn't mean that it's PC compatible.

IIRC a hacking conference on the PS4 said there was allot of changes from a standard PC and the Linux kernel requires patches to work with it.

Even the OG Xbox isn't close enough that you can't just use a Virtual Machine to 'emulate' it.

Also helps that allot of Linux compatible software is FOSS, useful back when you had PPC and MIPS.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing to note, just because the CPU architecture is the same, that doesn't mean that it's PC compatible.

IIRC a hacking conference on the PS4 said there was allot of changes from a standard PC and the Linux kernel requires patches to work with it.

Even the OG Xbox isn't close enough that you can't just use a Virtual Machine to 'emulate' it.

Also helps that allot of Linux compatible software is FOSS, useful back when you had PPC and MIPS.
Which really if anything had decent out of the box Linux support it would be PS4. Seeing that it is already running FreeBSD as its main OS.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
There are some reasons:

-Traditionally Windows is a i86 OS was born on that infrastructure, only until recent versions has been an ARM branch but only supports some specific hardware combinations.
-Windows needs lots of resources
-People have access to Linux source code SO THE PUBLIC CAN CREATE THE SET OF DRIVERS AND MODIFY THE KERNEL to support each console.
-YOU MUST TO PAY THE WINDOWS LICENSE (some people thinks you don't but YOU MUST)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Everything is already said. Closed source, drivers, CPU architecture…

Still replying for answering on off-topic part:
-YOU MUST TO PAY THE WINDOWS LICENSE (some people thinks you don't but YOU MUST)
Are you sure about this? → :creep: Microsoft support might disagree →🤦‍♀️
Sorry: Could not resist.

I didn't find direct links to the GitHub (=Microsoft owned site!) repository on the news articles, but I'm not linking to them to be sure to stay within forum rules. Search for

official Microsoft support crack

and you will get a lot of news sites about the incident(s).

In the end MS is probably happy if private persons stay with (pirated) Windows rather than moving on to alternatives. They make their money otherwise.

• Haha
Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Started under the sea fun relaxing but gets boring
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    I love how ominous it sounds
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Fun Linux Mint fact: When the Linux Mint version 3.1 "Celena" was out, v4.0 "Daryna" was just about to drop, so I suggested to the Linux Mint team that they call Linux Mint 5 "Elyssa", and they took my suggestion. That's been my biggest contribution to Linux to-date. You're welcome. :yaysp:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did they give you any credit for that
  • DexterYeen @ DexterYeen:
    gusss who broke their feemur while fwlling offa building!
    ithurts so bad
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, didn't you just get staples in your head?
    yreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeo
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry to hear, hope you feel better. You better just stay home inside, where you can't hurt yourself.
    imat the hospitl
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Get a well soon.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like how they just shove a ps3 under there lol https://a.co/d/63Ns2Aw
  • Veho @ Veho:
    If you wanna show it's roomy, shove an Xbox in there. HUEG
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Imagine if Microsoft made a smaller white version of xbox
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You mean a PC?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or the series s
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Size doesn't matter :teach:
    gamingconsoles-2048px-00730-3x2-1.jpg
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It looks like a speaker, I love it.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some SEs did have tiny speakers iirc like the taco bell give away one
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just played their logo sound though
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    AI listens to you so every time you mention food or food related items it plays the Taco Bell ding?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Reminding you that Taco Bell is food and you are under it's control!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Reminding you that Taco Bell is food and you are under it's control!