ELI5: how to get custom themes on my 3ds

pavo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so this is my first time ever attempting to do anything "unofficial" with a gaming system. i'd like to put some custom themes on my 3ds, preferably in the simplest way possible, can someone walk me through it? it doesn't have anything that can't be downloaded in the e-shop on it thus far. i read a couple other tutorials on here but i just really want to make sure i don't mess anything up since this is my only 3ds and if i screw it up i can't get another one/get it fixed for a while. like i said i'm completely new to this so thank you guys for your patience!!

BaamAlex

S̶̥͝l̷̹̀͗e̶̼̖̩̅͊e̷̛̦͉̦p̷̘͌͝i̵͇̠̞̿̌n̷̰͚͌̓͝g̷̦̲̍̆͝
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Follow this guide. There is everything you want to know about hacking the 3ds system.

godreborn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can either install cia themes or use anemone. however, I think cia themes disappear if they're fake if you go to the eshop. I've never tried it that I can think of.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie:
    Werid it's morning I was talking about roosters
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    though what the poster at http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/java said is true about Java, it isn't so much about C++, C# while preferring C over it. I doubt he'd write a network stack in linux, port a SQL server in C and a mail client if it was a senior C/C++ paid job. You don't even need to care about pointers in C++ if you don't use them and instead use the OOP classes, such as an object reference, which is safer because it guarantees object heritage (Inheritance) which eliminates the need of a garbage collector. Typical use case of this is to use push/pop operators over a vector array, where you don't even need malloc. (it's used internally, yes, but by going the inheritance way you let the C++ to handle it for you)
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    C# is a whole new thing, and it's built around the idea of removing all the C bits in the C++ implementation, so what you get is an entire OOP language without backwards compatibility.
    Gift
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    it's more like java than C++ imo
    Gift
    So C#$&+ sounds like a decent community
    Gift
    the meme box appears to be borked
    Gift
  • Gift
    there haven't been new posts in meme box in multiple days despite posts in the thread receiving plenty of likes
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The new forum software did cause some issues with the maymaybox, I remember hearing somewhere.
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought that was solved.
    Gift
    On the phone with att wish me luck
    Gift
  • SG854 @ SG854:
    Why do you love?
    Gift
    20 minutes still play jump around with att
    Gift
    Another 8 minute transfer yay
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    PLEASE HOLD. YOUR CALL IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US. PLEASE CONTINUE TO HOLD.
    Gift
  • ClancyDaEnlightened @ ClancyDaEnlightened:
    in other words *please hang up*
    Gift
  • ClancyDaEnlightened @ ClancyDaEnlightened:
    stop bitching on the phone
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/OO_programming/ <- OOP allows a generic build to scale approach to solve problems. And compatibility. In my experience an API/Shared Libraries by being encapsulated, is less likely to get optimized/destroyed by the compiler, specifically in embedded platforms.
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    No doubt it will be slower, but if you can and have the resources to hand-optimize away the code
    , do it.
    Gift
    If you dont bitch nothing will get done correctly
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    Also allows to separate pieces in components: Init, update, destroy, which enables the whole program to be inheritable. If you're creating a first person shooter, and want to add multiplayer, you will have to use OOP regardless.
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    and forget about memory management
    Gift
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when you had to write your code exactly or things would just break instantly lol 48K was all you had on an Apple IIe and that was with added RAM ai think... Forgot so much over the years lol
    Gift
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Back when Apple included a programming manual in the box...
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    yeah, psi gets it. Imagine building a 3D game and the compiler/linker breaks your code because you didn't order the data in a certain way
    Gift
    Coto @ Coto: yeah, psi gets it. Imagine building a 3D game and the compiler/linker breaks your code because...