The Noob :(
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's odd. Everytime I turn it on it is giving off this electrical smell. However, nothing is smoking, and the computer runs fine. It just smells god awful. What could it be? I was thinking the power supply might be going bad or something? Any help?

Thanks!

CPhantom

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nothing is melting. But scratch what I said...the power supply was giving off a little smoke so I powered it off. I think my power supply is just going bad here.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
blow out all the crap outta the psu and inside the tower ... DO NOT USE A HOOVER/VACUUM CLEANER as it will cause major static inside the computer and prolly cause damage to the circuit boards etc!

good tip here is to wear glasses/goggles or some kinda eye protection as its gunna be very very dusty!!!

CPhantom

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've already started. Yeah, dust is EVERYWHERE. do you think my fan was clogged or something? It is some serious amount of dust here, hah...

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CPhantom said:
I've already started. Yeah, dust is EVERYWHERE. do you think my fan was clogged or something? It is some serious amount of dust here, hah...

no doubt at all about the dust there!!

blow like crazy and get it all out there or get some CANNED AIR from an electrical store and blow all the crap out of the psu etc I do mine every so often otherwise I get blue screens or freezes
frown.gif

CPhantom

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xJonny said:
What is your current PSU?

If it's not very good you don't want it exploding and taking out all your components with it
it's pretty old if I'm not mistaken, so yeah.

it just looks like a generic brand of a 480w power supply (This computer is several years old)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: