Electrical question

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Harsky, Apr 13, 2007.

Apr 13, 2007

Electrical question by Harsky at 1:21 AM (715 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I was given a cheap MP3 player and I was messing about with it and rewiring a bunch of switches to different places. My question is, how do I find out which areas are grounded so that I can wire one part of the wire to the switch and the other to something else. Or can I just solder one wire and leave it like that?

2. Kyoji

Member Kyoji ウッーウッーウマ

United States
  3. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    No, I was planning on transfering the MP3 guts and putting it into a NES controller (yeah, I planned this months ago but it got put on hold. Now I'm trying again). I'm trying to rewire the switch to a tact switch so that Up, down, left, right etc button can control the mp3 player

4. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    if i understand correctly, the best way would be to split both things open, and make the buttons on the NES controller act like the MP3 buttons. Just re route the wires. (damn i wanna explain it more, but i cant [​IMG] )

hack picture coming soon

EDIT: hack

[​IMG]

alright, i hope its clear enough...

on left is mp3 player, on right nes controller.

say by shorting those 2 leads, you trigger the "play" function. So, you would re route it with a wire to go to 2 specific points on the nes board that press the "a " button (or whatever)

Is THAT what you mean?

5. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    I'd suggest desoldering the switches on the mp3 player, soldering wires to those points, and routing wires wherever you need them. These switches have two contacts, and you need two wires to the new switches you plan on using. There's no common "ground" on such things. You can't let any two or more switches have a common contact.

Wires FTW [​IMG]

Post photos!

6. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Sorry about the shitty picture quality.

[​IMG]

Here's a better idea in MSpaint

[​IMG]

The play/pause/stop buttons are mounted on the sides and I gutted the PCB of my NES controller to the point that I don't think it works anymore so I was trying this site's example

http://ohanoncomp.googlepages.com/nespod

I have the tact switches but the problem is where do I solder them on the MP3 player. In the MSpaint, there are four points. I soldered on two point that are diagonally each other to two point on my tact switch but when I tested it on my multimeter which makes a noise if there is a connection, it keeps telling me there is a continous connection even though the tact switch wasn't pressed.

I have to go to work in a while so hopefully when I come back, I'll put more details in what I'm trying to do at the moment and why it's going wrong.

7. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    MP3 player in NES controller update. Things are progressing okay. I bought another cheap MP3 player and because it doesn't have a LCD screen, it was cheap and it meant I don't have to drill a hole to see the screen. Replaced the male USB part with a female one. Just got to go on ebay to buy a male to male USB wire but the problem is the battery. Currently, it's being powered by a AAA battery but I realised that if the battery dies, I'll have to unscrew everything and then put it back together. Does anyone know how I can put a rechargable battery in there that can be recharged via USB?