Eiji Aonuma Reveals more on Zelda Wii

tempBOT

The GBAtemp Robot
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Eiji Aonuma Reveals more on Zelda Wii
“The Legend of Zelda : Wii” was recently discussed in a recent interview with Official Nintendo Magazine and Eiji Aonuma. The interview reveals that the game will not be drastically different from its regular formula, but will be new in terms of structure. Read part of that interview below (the remaining portions will be released in next month’s issue of ONM, on Decemer 18th).
When asked how different the new Zelda title will be when it arrives on Wii next year, Aonuma replied: “It is something we used to talk about with Mr Miyamoto, and he and I agree that if we are following the same structure again and again, we might not be able to give long time Zelda fans a fresh surprise.”

“So we have been trying something new in terms of the structure of the Wii version of the new Zelda game this time. I am really hopeful that people will be surprised with the changes we have implemented for this Wii version.”

Aonuma also confirmed that alongside full MotionPlus support, we’ll be able to see more of what his team have been working on at next year’s E3. “I hope that we can show you something at the E3 show next year and it is something we are hopeful will be surprising,” he added.

“We’re taking advantage of MotionPlus. It’s become very natural – the movement of your arms is precisely reflected in the gameplay. Thanks to the technological advancements, we hope the gameplay can be more accessible to people.

“We’re making efforts regarding the total flow of the Zelda game. So far, the basic flow of the Zelda games is you’re exploring a field, you go to a dungeon, you conquer it and return to the field. We’re looking at altering that traditional flow. That’s all I can share, and I can’t say more until E3 next year.”

From IGN

“You will have to wait until next year when we can elaborate on this and many other things. But what I can tell you is that yes I have read some of the speculation, and some of it is right! That is all I can say at the moment.”

From Official Nintendo Magazine

“Recently I have been spending my lunch with other game directors playing over local connection battle in Spirit Tracks. It is very good to do that in order to facilitate better communications between us. I have been partnering with the director of the Spirit Tracks to fight against the director of the new Wii game and yes, recently we have been winning!”

From Official Nintendo Magazine

Source
Additional link

Contributed by avengedZC

avengedZC

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.zeldac.com
XP
Country
United States
Also visit Zelda Chronicles for the first Spirit Tracks US commercial and loads of gameplay footage. A LOT of Zelda info has been revealed in the past week or two, and I don't expect it to slow down at all.

quepaso

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the surprise? Link has a sniper rifle! If you get 7 monsters killed in a row without getting hit, you get to call in a helicopter or dogs to attack.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok, I like the MotionPlus part, but I'm not liking the "we're gonna change the classic Zelda gameplay".

Please Nintendo, this could be the best Zelda ever, don't kill it with some gimmicky game formula nobody will care about
dry.gif

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
You know for a person that's not really a Zelda fan, they need to do something 'unexpected' but not making it the obvious. They need to make a Zelda game where Hyrule hadn't existed for two thousand years ago ((Modern age much, sure you better believe it)) You as a kid have heard rumors about this city and other stuff that had happened back then. The problem is no one really knows the truth...so you start to dig deeper and find ancient artifacts about Hyrule's past...blah blah blah...

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
“We’re taking advantage of MotionPlus. It’s become very natural – the movement of your arms is precisely reflected in the gameplay. Thanks to the technological advancements, we hope the gameplay can be more accessible to people.
Yeah, fuck you too Nintendo for further alienating a real playing base. What about the people who can't lift their arms due to disease or weakness? Too bad, says Nintendo.

They can't even be bothered to include controls that don't require the stylus/Wiimote when there's buttons right-fucking-there. It's not that their market has advanced, it's that they don't give a shit unless it perpetuates their novel method of playing games.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Canonbeat234 said:
You know for a person that's not really a Zelda fan, they need to do something 'unexpected' but not making it the obvious. They need to make a Zelda game where Hyrule hadn't existed for two thousand years ago ((Modern age much, sure you better believe it)) You as a kid have heard rumors about this city and other stuff that had happened back then. The problem is no one really knows the truth...so you start to dig deeper and find ancient artifacts about Hyrule's past...blah blah blah...

Wait, wasn't that The Windwaker?
huh.gif

Celice said:
QUOTE“We’re taking advantage of MotionPlus. It’s become very natural – the movement of your arms is precisely reflected in the gameplay. Thanks to the technological advancements, we hope the gameplay can be more accessible to people.
Yeah, fuck you too Nintendo for further alienating a real playing base. What about the people who can't lift their arms due to disease or weakness? Too bad, says Nintendo.

They can't even be bothered to include controls that don't require the stylus/Wiimote when there's buttons right-fucking-there. It's not that their market has advanced, it's that they don't give a shit unless it perpetuates their novel method of playing games.

Yea and nintendo loves you too Celice.
wink.gif

I actually am stoked to play this game when it comes back...
wink.gif

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Me too.

Mr. Miyamoto said that they were gonna refrain from using an overly-epic plot for Super Mario Galaxy 2, and save it for Zelda.

Looking back on the original Galaxy's totally awesome opening cinematic, I'm drooling already when I think of what Zelda Wii will look like!
bow.gif

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Canonbeat234 said:
Sounds cool. But it doesn't sound Zelda. And it doesn't sound like anything traditional gamers like me would like.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Celice said:
QUOTE said:

Why are you getting your panties in a bunch? I think any Zelda fan would love to put on their elven uniform and be able to swing a sword like Link and have it ACTUALLY register in the game.

And Wiimote controls were excellent with Twilight Princess. I would be upset if they weren't in the next game.

It's called getting with the times, man.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but what he's saying, I think, is that while that's all fine for most people, it's not hard to add in accessibility options for the disabled even though they have button space, etc. that they could use for that, meaning Zelda fans who can't flail their arms to make sword motions can't play the games at all, and Nintendo pulls away a lot of casual gamers by incorporating all the schemes.

D

Deleted User

GameDragon said:
I sure hope they use MotionPlus the correct way and don't turn it into a mindless gimmick with "Zelda" just pasted on...
Nintendo making gimmicks? No that'll never happen. Oh wait...

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireEmblemGuy said:
Yes, but what he's saying, I think, is that while that's all fine for most people, it's not hard to add in accessibility options for the disabled even though they have button space, etc. that they could use for that, meaning Zelda fans who can't flail their arms to make sword motions can't play the games at all, and Nintendo pulls away a lot of casual gamers by incorporating all the schemes.
Exactly.

I'd like to see how many Wii systems are at children hospitals. How great it must be to watch kids play while you can't--not because you can't access the system, but because the method of controls for said system involve such dexterity that may be impossible for some individuals
frown.gif

For my brother, who's been a Nintendo fan since the NES days, it really sucks that he can't enjoy the evolution of the games and series of Nintendo past the GBA/GameCube era because of the controls. He's been dropped in the dust. At least there's emulation that can help out, as he can then use a custom control scheme and gamepad to actually play the games.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna be the first to call it.
ITS A MINI GAME MASH UP!
dun dun duuuuunnn.

Link with a breifcase?
Zelda Link's Office Management Days

I think if they are gonna change the formula the best idea is to just expand it.
Add reason to return to dungeons and have a ton of them as well.
Plenty of pointless things to buy. (the last game I collected so much ruppees I got down right sick of it)
A whole ton of groudn to travel and differnt kingdoms and towns to explore.
You know, stuff like that.

I think the fact that they want to focus on giving the fans something is a good sign though.
the Zelda franchise just doesn't seem to set well with casual players.
Heck, just recently I talked to one who said, "I finally bought Zelda Twilight Princess, oh it ws sooo hard." Asking wht dungeon he was at, he said the first one x-x.
Hes a big Mario Kart Wii player too, so its not too hard to guess how he plays.
Though he said a normal controller would have been alot easier, so maybe Nintendo is just missing something.
We have all the motion controls and crud but putting in classic controller/gamecube controls can appeal to casual gamers too.
Mashing buttons is a casual gamer thing as well.

But anyway, I'm confident it'll be at least decent.
I'm still hoping for something interesting like a Zeld game in the future or with at least some time traveling to it or something. Might be interesting and might explain how their "Mixing it up". Zelda game in the future is a big change in itself.

Overall though, I just want more of it.
Like Elder Scrools: Oblivian big, or something close to it.
It'll never happen but it would be nice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it