Eh..thinking of buying new RAM :\

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Sailor, Mar 23, 2008.

Mar 23, 2008
  1. Sailor
    OP

Member Sailor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Meh, after missing an opportunity to buy a 2nd computer (dell) for $700 a couple days ago, I decided today I should just upgrade my current one. The one I missed out on came with a 24" screen, Quad Core processor, 1gb RAM, 250gb HDD, and Vista...and more D:

But whatever, my fault. Anyway, I heard that RAM makes your computer faster and stuff, and well..mine is pretty slow. I only have 512megs, and I have a 5? year old Vaio with Pentium 4.

Here's the specs:

[​IMG]

Well I was thinking about buying like 2gb more of RAM from newegg..but will that REALLY help me? Like, will I notice a big difference, and if so..with what? Will it just speed up my computer's starting up?

Also I don't know how to find out WHAT kinda RAM I need, because I'm pretty sure you need a specific model or something :\ And I also don't know how to find out how many slots my computer has for them, or how to install it :'[ I know, pathetic. But if I open up my computer and *try* to find the slots, all I do is insert the RAM..and my computer will do the rest?

Right?

2. MystikEkoez

Member MystikEkoez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    No. Get a new computer. Now. P4 sucks. I would know.

3. Sailor
    OP

United States
    Really? :'[
    I had the option to get the newer computer...but I told my dad, nah..it's ok. Now I've been kicking myself for 2 days for not grabbing it while I could have saved $500.

4. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    A new computer would be for the best (with at least 2GB RAM).

But if you want to upgrade your current machine I would run CPUID to find out what RAM is currently in.
    Installing RAM is straight forward, take out the old and push the new in. There are tutorials out there if you want that security.

5. James B.

Member James B. GBAtemp Regular

United States
    with a new graphics card and 2 gb of extra ram you'll do great.

I have an 8600 GT, 3 GB of ram, and a P4 3.0GHz with HT.

I can run crysis pretty OK at native (1680 x 1050) resolution.

Hold off on a new PC until the octo-cores [​IMG]. Or just whenever you want to get a new one.

6. Sailor
    OP

United States
    Eh, if any good deals come up I'll buy another computer..but for now I (think?) it'd be best to install more RAM into this one...to help me out I guess. Wait, can I add more RAM to make my total 2.5gb? Or do I have to take out my existing 512mb?

And what's CPUID?

7. legendofphil

United Kingdom
    CPUID is a program for IDing you processor, Motherboard and RAM.
    It will also tell you how many RAM slots you have available, how many are in use and what type of RAM it is.

If I were you I would spend as little as possible on an upgrade and save towards a new machine.

8. Sailor
    OP

United States
    Oh..I don't game on my PC, if I did I'd have a new graphics card ages ago. I'd like to play CoD4, but I'm ok with just going over my friend's to do it.

And when do those come out? Speaking of which, wouldn't octo-cores be too advanced? I heard that most programs today don't even take advantage of all 4 cores in the quads.

9. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

Yeah it would be quite helpful, a new processor would be nice to speed things up (since the latest Core 2 Processors are quite a leap up in performance), but you might not want one.

Or find your motherboard manual or if you don't have one google to find out what ram your motherboard can take.

Then you'll need to find how many ram bays you have on your motherboard - then you can search for a specific type of ram and of which size each.

E.g. your motherboard takes PC2-5300 (667Mhz) and PC2-6400 (800Mhz) then you search for it on newegg or whatever. If you have 4 bays, you might want 4x512MB sticks, if you have two, you would want 2x1gb. They work in twos because of dual channelled ram, which means if you have two matching type and they're in the same "channel" (usually coloured the same) it makes them give better performance than if you had I stick of the same total.

You take them out of your motherboard (most likely with switches on the ends) and replace them with your new ram. Hopefully your operating system, and so on, will recognize it and it will all be joyful.

10. legendofphil

United Kingdom
    There is no time frame ATM for anything above quad-core, unless you count server chips which cost a bomb.
    It is true that the vast majority of apps and games don't even use dual core effectively yet.
    Still worth buying a dual or quad core system though.

11. Sailor
    OP

United States
    Oh, ok. I'll do it now. My dad has the money, I just can't go over $800 for a new machine + screen...so I'm kinda looking for a good one, that's not so pricey.

Plus, this RAM is only gonna cost me like $30, assuming my computer can take this kind.

12. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

A lot of games don't use quad-core effectively but quite a lot now have decent dual core support - but quad cores are futureproof.

Btw, have I seen your name before legendofphil, DSMeet or something?

13. legendofphil

United Kingdom
    Dual core isn't used effectively in Windows, games have no chance.

I use this name everywhere, but I am most active here, maxconsole and my uni forums. (sorry for the thread hijack)

14. Sailor
    OP

United States
    Lol, I sure feel stupid for not jumping on that quadcore deal. Futureproof, you say? o.O"
    I also don't have a manual, so what do I google?

But I did the CPUID test, and:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

So I'm guessing I have 4 slots, 2 are used? That means if I buy 2 1gb sticks...I can put them in and have a total of 2.5gb RAM? Is it even possible to have 2.5gb?
    But..it still doesn't tell me which kind I can use..or I must have missed it.

15. MystikEkoez

Member MystikEkoez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Get a mac. [​IMG]
    Just kidding, but Sailor stated that he/she wasn't planning on using the computer for gaming, so if you didn't switch computers, extra RAM would help, but in the long run, it's better to just get a new computer with a better processor.

If you aren't planning on gaming, get a nice pretty mac.
    Or build a PC from scratch while scraping parts from your old PC. Find what it is you want to do with your computer.

16. legendofphil

United Kingdom
    You need DDR PC2700 to "match" with your current RAM.

EDIT: If you want to check what motherboard you have, click on the mainboard tab. It should tell you.

17. Sailor
    OP

United States
    So getting more RAM would be like a temporary fix, you're saying? If I got a new computer w/ a better processor, it would help A LOT more?

Trust me, I do want a new computer, lol. And I'll keep my eyes peeled. I need a new one anyway as I'm off to college in 2 years. Gonna take it with me [​IMG]

18. b4nn3d

Newcomer b4nn3d Member

United States
    Urza posted a link to a $366 PC, which is actually a very good PC. It has a quad core CPU, and 8000 series video card...

19. legendofphil

United Kingdom
    A new computer would improve a huge amount, even with a "slower" (clock speed) processor.
    More RAM is basically a stop gap measure.

20. Sailor
    OP

United States
    Can you point me in that direction?

@phil & Mystik: You guys are right, the RAM for my computer costs $64 for just 1 gb o.O" Yikes D: I guess I'll just go searching around for some good computers and buy a new one instead. Thanks for all the help though [​IMG] Now I feel even more stupid for not getting the computer, lol...
    [​IMG]