Hacking eFuse burning prevention hardmod ?

BaronPork

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a way to prevent efuses burning by removing components / cutting traces on pcb ?
I remember doing this on my jtag 360, figured there may be a mod like this ? In 360 case i needed to remove an SMD resistor to prevent fuses burning AT ALL, no matter what update you try. Saved my bacon many a time with my kids futzing about...
(Yeah, i know about autorcm, no its not what i'm asking about :D )

nathone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Technically NVIDIA Tegra X is an SOC chip, it's a GPU and CPU all in one, it's not specifically just a CPU.
Fair point, it may not actually be on the CPU itself, but in the same chip the CPU is in, without any 'traces' going outside of the chip,
I think the best bet is an eventual low level exploit which let us circumvent the check, but that could be years out, or never.
However I would love to be proven wrong!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Fair point, it may not actually be on the CPU itself, but in the same chip the CPU is in, without any 'traces' going outside of the chip,
I think the best bet is an eventual low level exploit which let us circumvent the check, but that could be years out, or never.
However I would love to be proven wrong!
We can currently circumvent the check. Even if it was possible to prevent the fuses from burning with a hardware method though, it wouldn't be terribly useful because you still need to bypass the fuse check at boot time using homebrew

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A SAMD21 solution prevents fuses being burnt.

SWITCHBOOT prevents fuses being burnt.

However, if you update to a new firmware that isn`t CFW enabled (for example 8.0.0 - which doesn`t exist yet) your fuses will be saved but the console will not boot. It is designed this way so your fuses are saved.

In this circumstance, you can hold RESET while powering on to burn your fuses, enabling normal boot, or safely downgrade to another firmware as the console will default to RCM mode.

Last edited by mattytrog,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)