Effects of Video games, technology, and etc to children

ComeTurismO

CTO
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi there guys, I know that there are threads with children committing crimes over video games or technology, like that one by the guy with that Mii avatar.
I think that this is a very interesting topic, to discuss with each other. I just want to see your opinions on children that have access to technology. It's annoying to see, and they're spoiled, pretty much by their parents. I'm blaming parents for how most children from ages 5-13 are spoiled. I would see my mother's friend, forcing his own mother to buy him a tablet, which he doesn't need for his age, or kids playing and raging on COD.
Don't you ever feel like spanking children over this?
I'm 13 years old, I have access to a PS3, 3DS... Whatever. But these are just gifts, and I appreciate that fact, but I never ask for pieces of technology, since I saw what children turned into. My parents never raised me being spoiled, since I grew up from age one, to age four in a country where there isn't that much access to technology in my village. But when I moved here in Canada, there were those flobby TV's and shit, and I gotta admit, looking at them made me feel excited to play with them. Yeah, every child would like to experiment with these, and I have. But when I learned about the rights and wrongs, and became more mature growing up, I realized that I don't really need a computer, or a tablet, for a primary/or junior kid. I usually use my laptop for my studies and with free time, I temp, or play a quick 30 minutes on the computer on a game that is downloaded.
I'm glad i'm not spoiled
I see people in my school holding S3s and shit, my age, and kids that are ages below, and they end up getting trouble, lol.
It's stupid.
What's your opinion on these kids having access to technology, as well as how video games, and their parents?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is terrible, I mean comics, jazz music, rap music, punk music, rock music, metal music, television, cowboy films, gangster films..... have nothing to do with the downfall of the youth of today.

More seriously those that do not know tech are those that do not get anywhere right now and the future will only be worse. Start 'em young as most schools are not going to make it happen.

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey kid, it's called living in year 2013. Deal with it. If you can't then go sulk in a corner and go mental.
Take a guess what technology is going to be like in year 2113. Kids, will have an Internet chip implanted right after birth probably.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
When I was 3, I had a Sega Genesis, and when I was 5, I had a GBA. I didn't turn out spoiled. I will admit, children of today are ridiculous. I like to help out at elementary schools, and you know what I see? Kids whining about only getting an iPad mini, and not an iPad. Or only getting an Xbox, and not more. Sometimes, I feel like they are too privileged. I mean, it's the change of the times, but still...I can't get over the 4 year olds with iPhones.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When I was four I got a Sega Master System with Sonic the Hedgehog built in. And look at how I've turned out.

Being on a forum when it is still technically part of the working day and with high level training is something as inherently unethical as finance/politics?

yagami69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi there guys, I know that there are threads with children committing crimes over video games or technology, like that one by the guy with that Mii avatar.
I think that this is a very interesting topic, to discuss with each other. I just want to see your opinions on children that have access to technology. It's annoying to see, and they're spoiled, pretty much by their parents. I'm blaming parents for how most children from ages 5-13 are spoiled. I would see my mother's friend, forcing his own mother to buy him a tablet, which he doesn't need for his age, or kids playing and raging on COD.
I'm 13 years old, I have access to a PS3, 3DS... Whatever. But these are just gifts, and I appreciate that fact, but I never ask for pieces of technology, since I saw what children turned into. My parents never raised me being spoiled, since I grew up from age one, to age four in a country where there isn't that much access to technology in my village. But when I moved here in Canada, there were those flobby TV's and shit, and I gotta admit, looking at them made me feel excited to play with them. Yeah, every child would like to experiment with these, and I have. But when I learned about the rights and wrongs, and became more mature growing up, I realized that I don't really need a computer, or a tablet, for a primary/or junior kid. I usually use my laptop for my studies and with free time, I temp, or play a quick 30 minutes on the computer on a game that is downloaded.
I'm glad i'm not spoiled
I see people in my school holding S3s and shit, my age, and kids that are ages below, and they end up getting trouble, lol.
It's stupid.
What's your opinion on these kids having access to technology, as well as how video games, and their parents?

Yeah now there is access to more things, and tablets are making the parents the worst generation of parents, the common US parent gives child Credit Card to use with his Xbox and fights customer support for not recognizing that they give the child permission to spend a lot of money.

There are also dumb people that are hoping to do everything with a damn iPad, a lots of dumb kids that make accounts over the websites and getting stolen b/c they aren't selfish when they need to be.

Is not having the technology (I had a NES at the age of 4), is being a parent and fulfill every kid wish just to not hearing them cry or yelling for a game/tablet/cellphone, they are parents that do not know how to say NO.

Also parents not spending time with the technology with the kids at younger ages is what makes kids to have control over parents and not learning any responsibilities.

Camplord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
I'm glad i'm not spoiled
It's stupid.

Sorry for my ignorance but...what was the news with the Mii avatar kid?

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kids have been getting into trouble since the dawn of time. Every generation just blames it on new things they never had when they were kids and forget about all the trouble their generation got into.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Access to technology is definitely not the problem. Children being spoiled has always resulted in problems of character and poor perspective. Sometimes strong mentors and role models can make a difference but bad/lazy parenting is the larger factor in the problem. Kids don't learn how the real world works by being given what they want, or even being given only what they want most. Unfortunately most parents don't have the time to make sure their social environment is more education oriented and less materialistic, and more and more of all first-worlders' social environment includes online interaction.
I have friends who are raising very well behaved, intelligent, creative, and well adjusted kids your age who have as much access to technology as I do, a couple of those kids have even "more access" because the mother is a professional artist and has photography supplies and Apple products I've chosen not to spend my money on.

And as easy as it is to lay blame on parents, society, etc. especially having given children so much power over their parents' incomes through marketing schemes of every kind, you still have to give a bit of the responsibility for children's bad behavior to the children themselves. As little as they can control their environments and lives, by middle school, children do believe in their own individual choice and sense of personhood, and can make choices to accept [their parent's choices and circumstances] or rebel against their parents without remorse. There has to be a point where the selfishness of a child is no longer the fault of anyone else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: im going off now...I'll turn off my brain