prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe

www.jailbreakingisnotacrime.org

You bought it. You own it. Tell the Copyright Office: let me install whatever software I want on my phone, tablet, or video game system.

bunnie Huang, author of Hacking the Xbox, is standing with the Electronic Frontier Foundation to defend users' right to jailbreak. Will you sign on to bunnie's letter to show the Copyright Office that users everywhere are demanding the right to jailbreak?

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
w00t
Free piracy! :evil:
Jailbreaking/Hacking/Whatever, you name it != Piracy.

Piracy = using the Jailbreak/Hack/Whatever, you name it to play software you obtained in an illegal fashion.

Jailbreaking and Piracy are NOT the same thing. Get your head out your ass and stop defending the damn system! You honestly think it's right for console manufacturers to treat you as if they "rented" a device to you when you have busted your ass at work and spent your hard earned money to buy their product?! Really?!

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
w00t

Piracy = using the Jailbreak/Hack/Whatever, you name it to play software you obtained in an illegal fashion.

Jailbreaking and Piracy are NOT the same thing. Get your head out your ass and stop defending the damn system! You honestly think it's right for console manufacturers to treat you as if they "rented" a device to you when you have busted your ass at work and spent your hard earned money to buy their product?! Really?!
Um, Foxi4 was explaining the difference between "jailbreaking" (since when did that become the de facto term for hacking consoles? I don't like that) and piracy. His head is not in his ass, it would rather seem yours is closer to being in your own ass. I apologize for being a little rude there, but you seem to be getting annoyed at Foxi4 completely unjustifiably.

EDIT: Doubt it'll have much impact, but I signed anyway. It takes about 10 seconds and maybe, just maybe, it'll make a little difference.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
w00t

Quick C/C++ lesson:

#1 Basic Arithmetic Operator:

!=

Reactions: 2 people

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I was a bit ill tempered, my bad but still, It's just annoying to see people act as if Piracy is some great evil. There are worse things int he world. If you decide to make legit purchases, good for you. If you pirate that's your business but I do not in any way support the "renting" of devices that manufacturers think they can do to consumers and I'm sure many of us can agree on that.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jailbreaking is totally a crime. I mean you're put in jail for a reason, who the fuck would support breaking out of it.

Oh, wrong kind of jailbreaking. But generally these petitions do nothing, especially to the technologically ignorant who see "jailbreakerss" as "master hackers" capable of destroying the intertubes with their dial up connections.

Reactions: 4 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ok so I was a bit ill tempered, my bad but still, It's just annoying to see people act as if Piracy is some great evil. There are worse things int he world. If you decide to make legit purchases, good for you. If you pirate that's your business but I do not in any way support the "renting" of devices that manufacturers think they can do to consumers and I'm sure many of us can agree on that.
Now you're crossing the line a bit.

Mugging also isn't the worst thing you could possibly do - you could be a mass murdurer. Does the fact that mass murdurers exist somehow excuses mugging? No, it does not. Mugging is still wrong, it's just a lesser evil.

The fact that "nobody gets hurt" when you pirate is a semi-acceptable notion - you don't physically steal something, you just "multiply" the existing items and take one into possession. Does it generate losses for the companies who make games? Yes, it does. It only wouldn't if you assumed that "100% of pirates would not buy the game if they weren't able to pirate", which is utter bull. Does it generate income for console developers? Yes, it does, because a piratable console generally sells better. Does it influence the market somehow? Marginally, but it does.

Jailbreaking/Hacking? Fine, why not. Pirating? Sorry, but you have to be aware of the fact that you're doing something naughty. Definatelly not a massive criminal offense, but surely not something that should be found 100% acceptable.

Reactions: 1 person

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This will give me the freedom to hack my systems...but then the same will go for iPhone users, and I do enjoy watching them baw...tough choice...

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Mugging also isn't the worst thing you could possibly do - you could be a mass murdurer. Does the fact that mass murdurers exist somehow excuses mugging? No, it does not. Mugging is still wrong, it's just a lesser evil.

The fact that "nobody gets hurt" when you pirate is a semi-acceptable notion - you don't physically steal something, you just "multiply" the existing items and take one into possession. Does it generate losses for the companies who make games? Yes, it does. It only wouldn't if you assumed that "100% of pirates would not buy the game if they weren't able to pirate", which is utter bull. Does it generate income for console developers? Yes, it does, because a piratable console generally sells better. Does it influence the market somehow? Marginally, but it does.

Jailbreaking/Hacking? Fine, why not. Pirating? Sorry, but you have to be aware of the fact that you're doing something naughty. Definatelly not a massive criminal offense, but surely not something that should be found 100% acceptable.

My friend, piracy is a equalizer, a force of the nature of the market. It acts as neither good nor evil, it is a tool that can be used to sell as well as take away from sales. Ask Microsoft about the popularity of Windows OS. You honestly think that piracy did not help with the popularity of that OS? What about Pokemon Black & White? That game sold 2 million copies on day one in spite of it being massively pirated. If you have a good product, people will buy it regardless. If your product sucks ass well it's your fault. Nuff said.

Reactions: 3 people

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Signed, even if it goes nowhere.
I like making my devices my own, and trying to stop me from doing that isn't doing anything but making it more of a pain.
I'm gonna do it anyway, so cool your tits.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

My friend, piracy is a equalizer, a force of the nature of the market. It acts as neither good nor evil, it is a tool that can be used to sell as well as take away from sales. Ask Microsoft about the popularity of Windows OS. You honestly think that piracy did not help with the popularity of that OS? What about Pokemon Black & White? That game sold 2 million copies on day one in spite of it being massively pirated. If you have a good product, people will buy it regardless. If your product sucks ass well it's your fault. Nuff said.
He said it only marginally affects the market, which is exactly what you said. LRN2READ AND COMPREHEND. He's arguing that piracy is WRONG and should never be 100% acceptable. How you fail to see that is beyond me.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Pokemon Black & White sold 2 million copies on day one because it's f*cking Pokemon, not because it's exceptional in any way. The game is outdated by at least 5 years - it's the same old boring s*it refried on a new pan for the Pokenerds pleasure.

Piracy on the DS is too simple. I assure you that without flashcarts the game would sell at the very least 3 million copies on day one - people who already had flashcarts just waited for a release. If there wasn't one - they'd get it legit. Because they're Pokenerds aswell. They likely got it later anyways, but you're arguing about day one.

The popularity of Windows OS is so massive because it was agressively advertised in the 90'ties and OEM'ed on a whole lot of computers from then till now - pirates just had to keep up with the trend.

Reactions: 1 person

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

He said it only marginally affects the market, which is exactly what you said. LRN2READ AND COMPREHEND. He's arguing that piracy is WRONG and should never be 100% acceptable. How you fail to see that is beyond me.

I "fail" to see that because like I said, Piracy is a force of market nature. It's like people getting fired. It's not nice. It's not fun BUT, it's a part of market nature. I can read perfectly well and I still stand by what I said. Besides. Why so angry? I'm just voicing my POV like I'm not angry at you voicing your POV. Seriously dude.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.