EFA Linker won't save.

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Crav, Jan 25, 2010.

Jan 25, 2010

EFA Linker won't save. by Crav at 11:59 PM (1,086 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Crav
    OP

Newcomer Crav Newbie

United States
    Well, the other day I was uploading to my 512 EFA Linker. It had just finished with the rom in question and was about halfway through with writing the Loader program when suddenly my computer had an error and everything came to a screeching halt. -_-

I don't know as much as I'd like to about flash carts, but I do know that's not good.

After formating it and re-adding the games, I was relieved to find that it still works just fine, until I discovered that it no longer saves. All of the save files tell me they're corrupted when I turn it on.

Is there anything I can do, or is my linker pretty much dead?

2. WigWrm

Member WigWrm GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm pretty sure that all saves from this cart are stored on an sram chip powered by the coin cell battery inside.
    It is a possibility that a when the program halted, some component relating to the battery or the battery itself shorted out.

I would recommend letting the battery charge for 8 hours as indicated in the gbatemp product review.

3. Crav
    OP

Newcomer Crav Newbie

United States
    Thanks for your reply. So you think it's battery might have died?

I already tried recharging it last night, but it didn't seem to make any difference.
    But that does make sense. I've done a few more test now with different games, and I've gotten a few of them to hold a save for a minute or two, but then it dies or corrupts.

Well... I've replaced batteries in old SNES carts before, so this couldn't be too much tougher. Worth a shot if nothing else comes up. I wonder where I can find a replacement... I'm betting they're harder to find since they're clearly rechargable.

4. WigWrm

Member WigWrm GBAtemp Regular

United States
    They wouldn't be hard to replace. A reputable battery seller on the internet or some chinese wholesaler on ebay would proabably have it. You would probably have to desolder the dead battery and resolder the new one. If you've never done it before, I would suggest a cheap soldering iron. Solder isn't expensive and is very easy to work with. You could practice by making solder points on a peice of cardboard. You would only have two solder points for the battery so it wont be a labor intensive job.

Just make sure to get an exact model replacement. It doesn't have to be the same manufacturer just the same model.