OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,
Another one, brand new to the scene
biggrin.gif

Alright, here is the situation... I am looking at a micro for Christmas (or soon thereafter) and I am going for a 1gb card.
I am really leaning towards the EFA Linker II... the only thing that might not work for me is the lack of an eeprom...

So the noob question - What all does it entail to patch a game to run in SRAM or Flash? I've downloaded all of the tools, I am just missing some terminology. Is there a certain patch per game, or is there a certain program that can patch any game? I am definitely missing that one
(I just started playing Zelda - Minish Cap emulated [I haven't played Zelda for 5 years] and I am already hours into it...)
So games like Zelda, all of the Marios, dk, etc.. I have to be able to play

The other card that I am looking at is the EZFlash III...
I am liking the compression concept, but I am not big on loading times, so decompression might not be my thing...
The other reason I'm leaning towards the EFA is the whole "no software" " no driver" thing, just drag and drop (that is cool)
Again, I'm brand new, I'm just getting to understand this stuff and I'm not sure what I need.

Some other things - I will never dump a ROM, I will not use Pogoshell, I won't be using any media software, I will be playing games...

Sorry for the whole life story, but I know you guys know what you're talking about
And thanks in advance...

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To patch a game that uses EEPROM you simply download a tool such as GBATA (it also does many other things so it's worth a download). There is software that comes with the EFA Linker II which also allows you to patch EEPROM games.

Check out GBAtemps review of both flashcarts if you havn't already:
GBAtemp EFA-Linker II review
GBAtemp EZ Flash III review

smile.gif

djresqd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you darkforce, that is exactly what I wanted to know
From what I understand, there are currently no gba games that have broken 256mb, and I'm not getting a ds, so I'm not too worried about that

Now between the two, I know EZ has been around longer than EFA, but which way would you consider going?
And I just noticed that mrcurlynose posted his opinion right before I posted this (and thanks)
So which way would you go?

Thanks again all

Smirre

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd say buy EFA 256 or 512. They have been on the market for a long time and they sell for a reasonable price. I for sure wouldn't need 1gig cart for GBA stuff not to mention the high price of over 512mbit carts.

I even have to admit that 512 is pretty much. 2-3 RPG's, Metroid Fusion, Castlevania and few smaller games like F-Zero fit nicely on the cart and there's even space left. I usually play one or two games to the end before starting another game so i think 256 could fit my needs also
ph34r.gif

It needs drivers though so it requires Windows and doesn't work like usb stick. But then again same goes for EZFlash 3.

For EZFlash 3's price I'd buy M3. Full GBA and very good NDS support for a same price and cart sticking out of console but it's ok
biggrin.gif
. You might want to buy Nintendo DS someday next year
nds.gif

Smirre

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
EZ Flash III is the cart to get if you want to play gba games!
Way too expensive for a GBA only cart!
ohmy.gif
EFA II also.

There are rumors going on EZFlash 4 is coming soon. I presume it will run GBA and NDS games and I think price will be about same as EZFlash 3 or less. Why pay big bucks for EZFlash 3 when much better product 4 is coming in a weeks (rumors)?

More about EZ4 here --> http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=28789

djresqd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I did my research on this EZ4...
Does this have any validity?
http://www.gameboy-advance.net/nintendo_ds/nds-ez4.htm

If it does, it is mainly for a DS, which considering I'm getting a micro, means nothing to me...
So I would be better off getting an EZ3 for cheaper right?
(and then do I go for the two gig ?
smile.gif
)

Now I have a buddy who will be purchasing a cart as well, but he owns a mac...
I am guessing that in his case that he would have to go for the EFA II, because I haven't heard anything about EZ and OS 10....
Or is it possible?

And if we did decide to go with the EFA II, is there ever an issue with a patched game? Does it freeze, do gamesaves go corrupt, does it work 100%?

Thanx again all

faceless

pink sugar heart attack
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
EZ Flash III is the cart to get if you want to play gba games!

Way too expensive for a GBA only cart!
ohmy.gif
EFA II also.

There are rumors going on EZFlash 4 is coming soon. I presume it will run GBA and NDS games and I think price will be about same as EZFlash 3 or less. Why pay big bucks for EZFlash 3 when much better product 4 is coming in a weeks (rumors)?

More about EZ4 here --> http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=28789
4 weeks, uh-huh, because flashcard companies are always on time...

EZ3 is the best gba kit out... great features, great compatibility, the size of a gba cart...

sure, the EZ4 may come out in 4 weeks and be better, but that's 4 weeks, and maybe more, and still, it may suck...

it happens, remember EZFA -> E-Cube...

i can't really speak for the hyothetical future, but now, and for the past year, EZ3's been the best...

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country
gogo EZ Flash! i got a EZ flash II and it was one of the best investments in my life, i can only remember one problem with it... i couldn't save on mario and luigi: superstar saga...

but anyway it is a great product! and then there is EZ flash III out there on the market, a even better flashkit out there, go get it! ;P i don't think you'll regret it ;D

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
I've had an EFA Linker 512MB for ages now and can thoroughly recommend it. Very reliable flashcart and the latest software works perfectly when it comes to transferring saves back and forth.

Never had to patch/modify any ROMs - Everything worked straight away. The built in USB interface is a bonus too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1