Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
100_0941.jpg

Since it seems to be getting quite popular now. notbarb, PharoahsVizier, |papuu|, and myself have gotten ours. Judging from the discussion in the IRC channel, its seems a few of you (mthrnite
wink.gif
) are on the fence about it. So here's a thread for people to ask any question they have about the device, or for fellow owners to share tips and whatnot.

EeePC Owners:
Chota
Glacius0
go185
Javitud
miikes
notbarb
PharoahsVizier
PickleHead
Urza
wzeroc

Here's the Wikipedia page for your basic info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eeepc

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it's something I would pick up. However, I'm waiting for one with a bigger screen size. I think in terms of efficiency in design, the screen was a downer. I'm not sure the price point per pixel or whatever, it just seems like they could have done more in that area. Apparently, they are, for the next refresh so I'll wait for that.

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's something I would pick up. However, I'm waiting for one with a bigger screen size. I think in terms of efficiency in design, the screen was a downer. I'm not sure the price point per pixel or whatever, it just seems like they could have done more in that area. Apparently, they are, for the next refresh so I'll wait for that.
I was waiting for the larger screen as well, expecting it to be a late-spring release. Later found out it was due for Q3, so if its still in the same price range I'll just sell this one and take a small loss.

Suprisingly enough, the screen actually is a bit larger than I expected it to be. Everything is easily readable and I can still manage a bunch of windows.

A slightly bigger gripe is the smaller than expected keyboard, but I hope to come to terms with that over the next few days.

miikes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got mine last year and I must say I love it. It's a great tiny inexpensive laptop which I bring everyday to school to replace my bulky compaq. I use it primarily to cram and surf the net between classes and presentations (hooked up to an lcd projector). We can even watch tv shows or movies on it.

Perspectively, it really does have a tiny screen (those arent really full sized speakers on the screen, just space). So watching shows is not so bad as it like a portable dvd player. Typing on the other hand depends on what I'm working on. Short 1-4 page reflection papers aren't so bad as I've already come accustomed to the small keyboard but full fledged lab reports requires me to use my weird squishy rubber water proof roll able keyboard in fear of carpal tunnel syndrome. Internet on the otherhand, If you're using an iphone I don't see why you can't do it properly or even better with an eeepc!

eeepcsj7.jpg

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty happy with mine so far. Just got SoTN and SB64 playing flawlessly with a USB controller.

miikes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah, I pretty much walked around the shops, looking for a 4gb black model with the mini pci-e slot intact and hopefully I'll find it well worth it when Sandisk comes out whith their mini pci-e ssd line
smile.gif

also, I have medium sized hands (large over here hehe) and I can type pretty well with the eeepc... probably due to some of the classes I take haha

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
i'm a terrible fast typer (my fingers always make mistakes) so i doubt the keyboard would help me out.
i too feel the screen size is a turn off.

for those reasons, i haven't considered one.

oh, and also i'm saving to buy a wii
tongue.gif

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems that you could just get a USB keyboard for what, $10 or $15 dollars and plug that in if you were doing more-depth typing.
I'm waiting for a screen that supports a slightly larger resolution (whether thats the 8.9 or 10 or what) and when they announce the larger battery 2 1/2 hrs is... nothing.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to picking one up in 08.

laminaatplaat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So what OS do you people use?

The build in Linux OS, Windows or maybe something like Xubuntu/ Ubuntu?

that is for me the biggest question... Im ultra noob when it comes to Ubuntu so has to be an easy install... Or is the normal OS good enough... Can you read everything with XP?

And I heard that it can support 1024*768 with some fix?

I'm realy interested in this thing
wink.gif

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
I recommended this for our FIRST robotics team and I'm surprised they actually took my suggestion and dropped $400 on the thing. It's absolutely amazing, wasn't slow in XP like I had expected.
cool.gif

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Eeeuser is a good site to get info on it. For comparison of it's power, it can run Source games at ~10 fps and runs WoW at ~30fps in pre-bc areas with little population (for those who are familiar with the game, it's semi-useful for leveling characters, but no BGs, loitering in Shatt, etc). Battery life could be better but seriously, the AC adapter weighs a little more then a DS one, with an on-plug inverter instead of the cord-inverter-cord found for laptops typically (or Wii's / GC's), making it really portable. I've heard many people make comments on it's size while I've been using it such as "Holy crap, I didn't know they made laptops that small", "Who's that sexy man using that small and sexy, but not as sexy as him, laptop?"

Javitud

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I picked up a Galaxy Black 4G Surf on Tuesday. Cost me around $380 after tax here in New York. It's pretty cool. The 7 inch screen really isn't that bad, and you eventually get used to the keyboard. Even though the specs aren't that great on paper, it's very efficient and runs surprisingly fast.

It took me a little while to figure out how to install Windows XP from an SD card (or any USB drive. I chose to use the microSD from my R4 w/ an SD adapter
wink.gif
) The eee runs XP like a dream. Very worth the effort, if you don't own a USB dvd/cd drive.

Creating your own trimmed down version of XP using Nlite is damned near a must, because the 4GB drive really can't handle too much bloat. Disabling the page file is apparently also a must unless you want to kill the drive quickly, but my eee hasn't really shown any signs of slowdown or anything, even with several applications loaded at once.

Awesome laptop for it's price. Definitely not recommended for people who want to do any type of hardcore gaming or run any sort of "demanding" software, but it's great to surf the web, watch videos, emulate games and do work when you're on the go.
biggrin.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
No offense Scorpei, but is there any need for another wiki when all the possible information you could possibly want about the eePC is on http://www.eeeuser.com
None taken
wink.gif
. Generally there is quite some info in English, but very little in Dutch. The Wiki I have hosted is also made / hosted for dutch people (a.k.a. you are free to add information and links in Dutch).
(admittingly I personally nearly only added stuff in English..
shy.gif
)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Quick question: is the SSD in the EEE upgradeable/replaceable in any way? What interface does it use? Can I simply take it out and replace it with a Compact Flash card, a Microdrive, or an IDE SSD? Or is it soldered/glued/bolted down and very very proprietary?

EDIT:
Everex Cloudbook?

everex_cloudbook_CE1200V.jpg

1.2 GHz, 512 MB, 30 GB, 2 lb's (0.5 kg), five hour battery life, Ethernet port, everything else pretty much like the EEE, $399.

W000t! Competition is always good.

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question: is the SSD in the EEE upgradeable/replaceable in any way? What interface does it use? Can I simply take it out and replace it with a Compact Flash card, a Microdrive, or an IDE SSD? Or is it soldered/glued/bolted down and very very proprietary?
The SSD on the 4G (non-surf) is soldered on, but some models have a mini-PCIe slot which can be used as an alternative boot device. You can also boot from the SDHC slot in all the models.

QUOTE said:
EDIT:
1.2 GHz, 512 MB, 30 GB, 2 lb's (0.5 kg), five hour battery life, Ethernet port, everything else pretty much like the EEE, $399.
I don't really want a hdd in my UMPC. Slower + more moving parts = no thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...