TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
West Yorkshire Police have today asked Bradford City Council to submit a request to the Home Secretary to ban the proposed English Defence League march on Saturday 28 August.

In a strongly worded statement, the police say they believe the risk to public order is enough to warrant a ban on the racist march. This will be the first time any police force has applied for a ban since the EDL tried to march in Luton in summer 2009.

Bradford City Council will now formally request a ban from the Home Secretary and a decision will be announced early next week. However, Home Office officials told HOPE not hate last week that it was highly unlikely the Home Secretary would ignore a request if one were made by the police and council and the stringent criteria for a ban were met.

While there is still a possibility that the EDL might hold a static protest in Bradford, a ban on a demonstration is a major success. The EDL had hoped to march down Manchester Road, a predominantly Muslim area of the city. It is also likely that as news of the ban spreads support for an EDL static protest will dampen.

The decision by West Yorkshire Police is a victory for the HOPE not hate campaign and the thousands of people who signed its Bradford Together petition. “Some people said that a petition was fruitless but we have proved that, when mobilised, ordinary people can exert pressure on the authorities,” said HOPE not hate co-ordinator Nick Lowles.

“While the EDL threat hasn’t completely gone away our campaign has contributed to the racists being kept away from Muslim communities in Bradford. This is a victory for the people of city and especially the 10,700 who signed our petition.”

The HOPE not hate campaign and its Bradford Together initiative will not stop here. If the EDL reapplies for a static protest then we will hold a peace vigil in Bradford City Centre on Friday 27 August. But even if the EDL stays away altogether we shall seek to build on this fantastic campaign to make Bradford Together a lasting initiative.

“I would like to thank everyone who has supported us,” added Paul Meszaros, who ran the campaign in Bradford. “Over 10,000 local people signed our petition. That’s over 10,000 successful conversations we have had with ordinary local people.

“We still might face a static EDL protest but this is a significant victory and one we should all be proud of.”

Source : Hope Not Hate

-------------------------------------------------

Now I'm usually one to raise my voice and say banning any march is a slippery slope to the degeneration of our rights to protest and freedom of speech, but in this case I'm actually glad the WYP have put in this application. The EDL had originally planned to march through a Muslim majority area with the intention of setting off another race riot similar to the one in 2001. There are a minority who are going there in actual protest, but anyone who follows the EDL will know that this march was being billed as "WW3" - and this includes their "promotional" (propaganda) videos.

For those tempers who aren't from the UK and might not have heard of the EDL (English Defence League) they are a "protest" movement against Islamic extremism who claim to be non-racist, non-political and peaceful. This of course is total bollocks. Once you scratch past the surface you find it's most definitely a violent, racist and fascist movement. They aren't just against Islamic extremism, they are against immigration, the building of Mosques, Hal-Al meat, anti-Left Wing and much much more. One of their favourite "protest chants" is "Allah is a paedo", which gives you some idea of their ignorance and bigotry.

This of course doesn't stop them holding a static protest, which of course is their legal right, but a static protest is much better than an inflammatory march through a majority Muslim area. It will also make it alot easier for the police to keep them kettled and under control. Although as anyone who has followed them will know that static demos in the past haven't stopped them breaking out into riots and smashing up British town centres across the country.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Holy shit! When did the EDL has been established? I'm glad your people is thinking yon their feet instead of ignoring this like in the US. Most riots happens when you have one individual wh doesn't follow the guidelines. I pray all is well with this plan of theirs. I don't want to see a news about how this plan failed and a riot broke out. Usually the news makes it seem more stupid then it actually is.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
They formed about a year ago when radical Muslims protested at a military homecoming parade. Since then they've grown in numbers. There will probably still be a riot, there has been at about 90% of the EDL demos. It's usually just the EDL doing the rioting though, allowing them to march through the majority Muslim area could kick off a full scale race riot though - something nobody wants. If you look on YouTube you'll find loads of vids about them, and loads of vids of their rioting caught on tape.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
So its only because the radicals didn't enjoy the home welcoming of the young militants? Hmmm, that does sound harsh even myself is from the military. However, the action to cause more violence is just a cowardly way to show tolerance towards the indifference. If the EDL supposely about bringing peace and hope, why are they mostly thinking for themselves? Do they realize the war happening in the middle east is for peace and democracy?! How dense can they be!

Please I'm hoping the police take full force on this one, this group should have never sprouted in the first place! This only shows how double-standard your country is. The US isn't without faults, we did our share of bigotry and turning a left eye for those who is in need (I'm looking at your Obama, just because you just stared at the oil following for 50+ days doesn't make it go away). When the president did something about, look how fucking fast it took them to fix the oil well despite stupid mistakes in the process.

Going back to this subject, the EDL want to riot where they can get their point across send them to the war zone!

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
That's the reason it started off. It was originally called The United People of Luton, and it was specifically to counter protests from radicals. The movement then grew into a national anti-Islamist movement. Like I say though, that's just a really thin cover for alot of racism and hatred. It's also a good cover to suck regular people into it. Who wouldn't oppose radical Islam and full on Sharia? They use alot of propaganda and hysteria to whip up support though. Anyone who knows anything about the way British law is made knows it's impossible for them to introduce anything like full on Sharia, and there's no way to change this country to a Caliphate/Theocracy due to those very same law making regulations.

I agree the group should never have sprouted in the first. In my opinion they can be compared to the Brown Shirts (S.A) from when Hitler was gaining power. They use similar techniques (including harrassing political opposition, disrupting political meetings etc.), they use similar propaganda and lots more. I get the feeling the movement will be banned soon anyway. A few have been picked up on terrorism charges, a few were arrested for planning to blow up a Mosque and there's been a few other things. If it kicks off in Bradford they will definitely be outlawed. I'm all for freedom of speech, but it doesn't give you the right to spread lies and hate as far as I'm concerned. I haven't got alot of faith in the cops to handle it, but I've got enough.

And you're right. If they really want to help the war against extremism, they could kick out their own extremists and then join the military and go to the front lines!

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, this is good, because this hate against Islam is founded on nothing. We believe in the same God that Christians do, so if you call Allah a paedo, you call God a paedo, and you'll go to hell.

Fuck these assholes.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Look on the brightside, it might make Bradford known for something other than it's prostitutes and it's University having glass ceilings/ floors (not a good place if you are afraid of heights).

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm, it seems that I have to do research and see how this became corrupted in the first place. For now, the EDL needs to stop growing and disband for good. I can only hope that it doesn't effect the US, most likely that will be another issue
Obama has to deal with. Where's the Queen of England in all of this?! Shouldn't this be a threat to the country itself?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Slyakin said:
Man, this is good, because this hate against Islam is founded on nothing. We believe in the same God that Christians do, so if you call Allah a paedo, you call God a paedo, and you'll go to hell.

Fuck these assholes.

Totally agree. It's another thing that shows how uneducated and bigoted they are. They claim to know alot about Islam and the Qu'ran, yet don't understand that it's an extension of the Judaic religions, albeit with a political angle as well. The "Allah is a paedo" chant came about because of the alleged age of Aisha when Mohammed consumated the marriage and they've got the name Allah confused with the name Mohammed. Another shining example of the idiocy of most of the members in the movement.

tk_saturn said:
Look on the brightside, it might make Bradford known for something other than it's prostitutes and it's University having glass ceilings/ floors (not a good place if you are afraid of heights).

rofl2.gif
I haven't been to Bradford in about 15 years, didn't know about the uni being like that! Although the prossy reputation has always been there. And well, the riots in 01 now of course.

QUOTE(Canonbeat234 @ Aug 18 2010, 03:23 AM)
Hmm, it seems that I have to do research and see how this became corrupted in the first place. For now, the EDL needs to stop growing and disband for good. I can only hope that it doesn't effect the US, most likely that will be another issue
Obama has to deal with. Where's the Queen of England in all of this?! Shouldn't this be a threat to the country itself?

I agree they should disband. They're imploding among themselves at the mo anyway. Lots of infighting, mostly the people who want violence and are racist against the people who actually want peaceful protests and aren't racist. Although the former definitely outweighs the latter. And don't mean to upset or alarm you but you already have the American Defence League over there. Although it's a tiny tiny movement compared to the one here. The Queen is no longer really in charge of the country, she's just a figurehead with a little bit of power. Although she could make a Royal Declaration - it's pretty unlikely though as they're no threat to her. Most of them are ultra-nationalists and royalists.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canonbeat234 said:
Hmm, it seems that I have to do research and see how this became corrupted in the first place. For now, the EDL needs to stop growing and disband for good.

QUOTE said:
I can only hope that it doesn't effect the US, most likely that will be another issue Obama has to deal with
Don't worry, I doubt they will start protests about the US as after all you're our allies.

QUOTE said:
Where's the Queen of England in all of this?!

She's just a figure head who only use is to attract tourists to London.

Shouldn't this be a threat to the country itself?
Not really. These tend to happen in run down 'rough' areas with high unemployment, with people from both sides looking for someone to blame. The recession it what's probably making it worse.

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
the edl are cowards, a few came to east London and attacked 1 person, spat at elderly and then when the locals grouped up they hid behind the police. The police could have dealt with it better.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
ganons said:
the edl are cowards, a few came to east London and attacked 1 person, spat at elderly and then when the locals grouped up they hid behind the police. The police could have dealt with it better.

Was that the attempted Tower Hamlets demo or the Harrow Mosque protest? And yeah, totally agree they're cowards. There are a few decent people who've been swindled into the movement (they're rare, but they're there, I've spoken to a few) but they usually leave within a few months due to all the racism.

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
TrolleyDave said:
ganons said:

Was that the attempted Tower Hamlets demo or the Harrow Mosque protest? And yeah, totally agree they're cowards. There are a few decent people who've been swindled into the movement (they're rare, but they're there, I've spoken to a few) but they usually leave within a few months due to all the racism.

attempt at Tower Hamlets

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
As an update to this just wanted to let all those interested know that the march has now been banned.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/media-centre/...rd-march-banned

All I can say really is nice one! The static demo is still going ahead as the government have no power to stop them, but although still inflammatory it's nowhere near as inflammatory as a march.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night