EdiZon Effects of Disabled Cheats Persist

Akhaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I play a game like Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, go into the Edison menu to turn on a 1-hit kill cheat to try it out. It works, I decide to disable it, it's labelled as "Off". I go on a next hunt, I hit the monster once, and it dies from the first hit.

I try it with Monster Hunter Rise using a 1.75x Hunter Movement cheat. Same thing, I'm still moving real fast even after I disable the cheat, and it says that it's "Off".

How do I actually disable a cheat that I activated? Do I have to close the game for the cheats to actually be disabled?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know for specifics but yeah try a restart (if you have not saved then maybe don't do that either but more on that shortly).

Your basic cheat changes some memory somewhere. Turning it off merely stops the cheat engine from constantly writing/ensuring the value the cheat holds is put there (or if it is a button/event activator then that will also be probably disabled).
If it overwrote some stats (save gave you 999 attack) then said stats will likely be there until they are changed (could be a weapon change, could be a level up, could be a restart, some games it even will save that value and load it again afterwards. things like ammo and health tending to get sorted more quickly).

More advanced cheats will change the game's code which might well last until restart.

If it is a more permanent affair then you will have to use the same cheats again to reset things to more normal values. For instance in the 999 attack scenario above you might have to figure out what a more normal attack value looks like for your level and equipment and change that instead.
Cheats themselves are usually fairly basic and have three components to them
1) What type of cheat (shouldn't need to change this)
2) Where the cheat is located (again should not need to change this)
3) What to write there once you get there/when activated. This you will want to change.
What it might be is up to you to figure out; can make it something that feels good, can calculate it from a FAQ, can calculate from hardcore analysis of the game's code, can calculate it from analysing your play of a game, can start a new game and figure out what it might be, can load an earlier save and go from there, can maybe level up/down a character (or put them 1xp from a new level) such that the level up code takes care of things for you... many options.

UltimateFight

Mell-Known Member
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Some cheats does not "stop working" when you disable it until you restart the game scene or restart the game, because the game itself does not reset these changed values. Like"move speed x2", most authors attach another cheat such as "speed x1" to bring them back to normal.

Akhaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't know for specifics but yeah try a restart (if you have not saved then maybe don't do that either but more on that shortly).

Your basic cheat changes some memory somewhere. Turning it off merely stops the cheat engine from constantly writing/ensuring the value the cheat holds is put there (or if it is a button/event activator then that will also be probably disabled).
If it overwrote some stats (save gave you 999 attack) then said stats will likely be there until they are changed (could be a weapon change, could be a level up, could be a restart, some games it even will save that value and load it again afterwards. things like ammo and health tending to get sorted more quickly).

More advanced cheats will change the game's code which might well last until restart.

If it is a more permanent affair then you will have to use the same cheats again to reset things to more normal values. For instance in the 999 attack scenario above you might have to figure out what a more normal attack value looks like for your level and equipment and change that instead.
Cheats themselves are usually fairly basic and have three components to them
1) What type of cheat (shouldn't need to change this)
2) Where the cheat is located (again should not need to change this)
3) What to write there once you get there/when activated. This you will want to change.
What it might be is up to you to figure out; can make it something that feels good, can calculate it from a FAQ, can calculate from hardcore analysis of the game's code, can calculate it from analysing your play of a game, can start a new game and figure out what it might be, can load an earlier save and go from there, can maybe level up/down a character (or put them 1xp from a new level) such that the level up code takes care of things for you... many options.

Some cheats does not "stop working" when you disable it until you restart the game scene or restart the game, because the game itself does not reset these changed values. Like"move speed x2", most authors attach another cheat such as "speed x1" to bring them back to normal.
Ahh, guess that means things are working properly then. Thanks for the information.

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant say for everywhere else but the main cheat code thread for the switch, most code makers in there will post notes for certain cheats when they post their codes. Try checking your file to see if it has any notes or tips.

Akhaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I cant say for everywhere else but the main cheat code thread for the switch, most code makers in there will post notes for certain cheats when they post their codes. Try checking your file to see if it has any notes or tips.
By main code thread, you mean the one called: Cheat Codes AMS and Sx Os, Add and Request ?

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
For stat-raising cheats, it depends on the game whether they can be changed back to normal after disabling them. Sometimes, in games where stat numbers are directly changed (and the cheat merely changes it to 99, 255 or 999), it never will revert afterwards; the change is permanent. For example, Persona games use this system for its Personas.

For games that derive stat values from other values, such as Pokemon (which uses species' Base Stats in addition to the specific 'mon's IVs and EVs to arrive at a final stat value), stat-increasing cheats are easily reverted once disabled.

Something to watch out for when using stat-raising cheats, I've learned.

The 3DS Bravely games must use a flag or counter for player-controlled stat-ups, for Bun consumption; stat-increasing cheats simply won't stick after saving and resetting, which is quite annoying, and those Buns can't be hacked in due to the obfuscated inventory structure. Unlike in BD2 where Buns are quite common, in BD and BS they're only gotten from certain Ba'als, obtained randomly when syncing your save online. Bleugh; one thing BD2 improved on, though it did also add Weight as a stat without giving it its own Bun.

Akhaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For stat-raising cheats, it depends on the game whether they can be changed back to normal after disabling them. Sometimes, in games where stat numbers are directly changed (and the cheat merely changes it to 99, 255 or 999), it never will revert afterwards; the change is permanent. For example, Persona games use this system for its Personas.

For games that derive stat values from other values, such as Pokemon (which uses species' Base Stats in addition to the specific 'mon's IVs and EVs to arrive at a final stat value), stat-increasing cheats are easily reverted once disabled.

Something to watch out for when using stat-raising cheats, I've learned.

The 3DS Bravely games must use a flag or counter for player-controlled stat-ups, for Bun consumption; stat-increasing cheats simply won't stick after saving and resetting, which is quite annoying, and those Buns can't be hacked in due to the obfuscated inventory structure. Unlike in BD2 where Buns are quite common, in BD and BS they're only gotten from certain Ba'als, obtained randomly when syncing your save online. Bleugh; one thing BD2 improved on, though it did also add Weight as a stat without giving it its own Bun.
Guessing that some cheats can mess with others as well, which is why when I have a 60FPS cheat on for MHGU, other cheats won't work?

Reactions: RichardTheKing

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Guessing that some cheats can mess with others as well, which is why when I have a 60FPS cheat on for MHGU, other cheats won't work?
Yes but that covers multiple fronts, and framerate is one of the more interesting aspects of this.

Classically some things are faster than the cheat engine. Many cheat engines or cheats using that approach will take something like the vblank routine (happens once per frame, or 60FPS in NTSC and more modern devices that are not PC doing variable or higher rates) and use that as the point to always be writing the area. If the place the cheat engine hooks for that write is after the checks and damage calculators then doing too much damage (infinite health allows you to survive bullets but not a rocket to the face sort of thing) in too short a timeframe might trouble things if your death is already calculated and called for before the cheat steps in (I used to use Goldeneye on the N64 as an example of this but probably need a more modern example).

What the 60fps unlock codes do can vary and if it redoes a bunch of the vblank handling then it could skip some of the cheat stuff, or redo timings in the game which mess with such things.

Simplest way around all this is to opt for the second aspect of cheat making wherein you alter code instead. Infinite lives is fun but somewhere in the code will be something that has the job of subtracting when you lose a game of beat the bus. Change the subtract to add, or do nothing, and yeah. Can be harder when there are multiple ways of dying and all of those handle the lives counter separately (that the baseline always write will not).
This is also why there are a million gameshark/action replay/codebreaker/pelican/goldfinger/.. codes on older systems but very few game genie ones as game genies traditionally went for the second approach. Also why it is easy to patch game genie codes into games where nothing older than the GBA or N64 is likely to see an automated tool like they have for patching in cheats (though there are some other reasons why that is harder).
Option 2 is skip the vblank option and go for some other aspect of code, though the thing about vblanks is they are always run every frame where other code might not so they are such a good thing. If there is a secondary CPU running management code then they can also be good targets but at this point we have left basic cheat making approaches behind some time ago.

Fiddling with pointers (if the cheat changes the location of something then another cheat set to the old location), irrelevance in light of other changes (your jump height matters little if gravity is set to basically nothing, or alternatively that thing costing 1000 gold might be tricky when the cheat made 5 minutes after the game started thought 999 was a good value for gold to be infinite at), register living values (though that is more of a cheat finding frustration) and extra area use (if I need a bit of "free" memory to do something and so does another cheat, being independently made we both use the same area) being the other major reasons for cheat conflicts.

Reactions: Akhaz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm