Editing music in DokiDoki Majo Shinpan.

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by The Keeganator, Jul 4, 2007.

Jul 4, 2007
  1. The Keeganator
    OP

Newcomer The Keeganator Member

Australia
    I noticed today when I extracted Doki Doki Majo Shinpan with DSlazy, the background music was in .ADX format, which is convertible to other formats and back. This plugin for winamp lets you play the files. But the converters ADX2WAV and WAV2ADX don't work for me.

The voices and sound effects are in .AHX format and I'm trying to find converters for that.

2. go185

Member go185 GBAtemp Regular

Looks like im not the only one that was surprised at the music in this game [​IMG]

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Wow that is the second game I have seen that does not exclusively use the sdat spec (electroplankton uses standard wave streams).

Audio engineering at this level is not my strongpoint but there is a good chance you encountered a revised specification: all tools I know of play with the dreamcast which has far better sound that the DS.

I will take a look but I sense it is going to involve a lot of work.
    http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=CRI_ADX_ADPCM may prove a good starting point.

4. The Keeganator
    OP

Australia
    Ok I have found out more about this game. If you use the program Tahaxan you can look at most of the graphics and export them, I don't know if you can import them though...

EDIT: Most of the .dat files in the rom are in a folder called "Script", if the creator of this program ends up making this editable, it may lead to a fan translation.

5. nruri

Newcomer nruri Member

Canada
    If anyone is interested in helping translate this particular game I'm trying to get a team of people together to translate the game into English.
    I have already been able to change most of the Characters names and some dialogs. I lack knowledge in ROM hacking so I'm in need of people that can assist in this area. If interested check out http://shinai.nyaatorrents.org/

6. The Keeganator
    OP

Australia
    OK, I just installed a program called EmEditor and that let me open the .dat files. Inside the files was Japanese text, so if I translate that and put it back in, we can translate the game.

Here's some of the text:
    Code:
    3 B  B2  ( ` Â Â? Â]6 % H?????????????????????????????????? Â b ,?????????????????????0???????????????????????

X?????????????????????????????????????????????????…??

R???????????????????????????????????????b Â:?????????????…??????????????(???????????????????

N?????????????????????????????????????
    Â

Â ? + Âw 

7. nruri

Newcomer nruri Member

Canada
    Yeah we're ahead of you. but there is a problem you can't just write the text in there. If you have too many letters inserted it will crash the game, or it will not display the text and other weird problems.

I have already got the names translated, as well as the first dialogue alone with the options.

I haven't really moved forward much due to lack of support.

EDIT: Process would be a lot faster if I could run this on an emulator instead of having to load it on a flash cart all the time.

8. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Too bad you can't edit their clothes.

9. nruri

Newcomer nruri Member

Canada
    You probably can, might be difficult.
    Colour scheme might be easier?

10. nruri

Newcomer nruri Member

Canada
    Here is some translated text that was inserted into the ROM so far.

Screenshot

11. amtt

Newcomer amtt Member

United States
    Ive been thinking of tling this game but my JP isnt that good... anyone wanna help?

12. nruri

Newcomer nruri Member

Canada
    double post

13. nruri

Newcomer nruri Member

Canada
    take a look at my post above and the screen shot.
    I'm trying to get team to start working on the tl.

14. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    I thought people were speculating its North American release because the website also comes in English...
    Can't wait such a long time heh [​IMG]?

15. nruri

Newcomer nruri Member

Canada
    I personally don't think a game like this would ever hit North American shores

16. silentreapr

Member silentreapr GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    Yeah.. I agree with that. I will be very very surprised if this game makes it to US shores. Even if it did, it'd probably be a very dumbed down version that's heavily modified and not really worth playing.