• Start date
  • Views 2,774
  • Replies 17
D

Deleted-246289

OP
Editing New Super Mario Bros. Levels
By MJaoune
You have seen New Super Mario Bros. 3, and most of you got curious about how can someone edit a game like that. Actually it is very easy, and anybody can do it, even if he is not a programmer or even if he doesn't know what coding is, so the secret behind this is NSMBe (New Super Mario Bros Editor), you can download it from below and start working, because it doesn't need any tutorial or any help, just explore it a bit and you will know everything.

Download NSMBe:
Download

Update: You can also change the header of the rom (The title and the icon) using RomeR:
Download

Good Luck
smile.gif

luckwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a newer version coming out soon.

The editor is not easy to learn and use. Any good hack will take months to make. Probably, close to a year range if all levels are used and the quality is good.

There is more to it than what it seems at first glance. Saying it doesn't need a tutorial or help is extremely over stated. It will take weeks to months to learn how to start building levels well.

Anyone wants to try it, more power to them. But bear in mind the amount of work, knowledge, etc. used to create SKJmin's hack is no small feat.

D

Deleted-246289

OP
luckwii said:

The editor is not easy to learn and use. Any good hack will take months to make. Probably, close to a year range if all levels are used and the quality is good.

There is more to it than what it seems at first glance. Saying it doesn't need a tutorial or help is extremely over stated. It will take weeks to months to learn how to start building levels well.

Anyone wants to try it, more power to them. But bear in mind the amount of work, knowledge, etc. used to create SKJmin's hack is no small feat.
actually it may take only a week depending on how much u are working on it, and it is very easy to learn because the moment i have downloaded it and started working on it I knew 80% of it.

luckwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mjaoune said:
luckwii said:

actually it may take only a week depending on how much u are working on it, and it is very easy to learn because the moment i have downloaded it and started working on it I knew 80% of it.

-Ok, then what sprite do you use to stop left and right hand scrolling? Wait how can it limit both left and right at different heights, times in the level, and be allowed to be passed through at others?

-What block is used to control the camera? For that matter, what do the other blocks do?

-Why is it then there is an entire site that goes into great detail on how to use it, what different things do, and how to keep your hack from becoming corrupt?

Again, I am not recommending not to use the editor. In fact this editor is way more user friendly and has more features than any other editor I have used for games.

But again IMO, what you stated above is quite an overstatement. I believe it detracts from the hard work that people have put into their hacks, saying that this something easy, #1. And #2 is a statement that is going to disappoint others that go into it thinking it is easy.

I have no doubt you tried the software and had started editing a level right away. It is kind of similar to when my dad taught me Chess. When I learned how to move the pieces etc., I thought it was easy. That is until I tried playing the game against other people and figured out there was more to the game then just moving the pieces.

I'd also like to give credit to Gridattack, Jceggbert5, Spenstar, for their work. Don't forget, these are regular guys, doing this for free, and contributing to the community. There are a lot of weekends and weeknights spent in order to provide the games they made/are making. A lot of time working until they can't see straight.

Not looking for an argument here. Just trying to give some perspective from how I see it.

SKJmin

Loved by few, hated by many, respected by all...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Turkey
mjaoune said:
luckwii said:

I don't think so...
I have worked 6 months on it and EVEN I don't know the "80%"...
Not even the NSMBe Staff...

I don't know if you have played my hack already...
If yes, I'm sure you have realized the sick animations and puzzles which weren't even used in the original NSMB...
You can combine a lot of sprites together, to get a different result!

The editor is not for all, it is not so easy as you say, just make some levels and test them on your flashcard or an emu, you'll maybe understand what I mean...
The compatibility within the levels is not always the best...

I said that many times before, only 2 out of 10 starters complete the hack...
I'm sure it has to do with the difficulty not the time they have to reserve for thiat
wink.gif

@luckwii
I fully agree with you!

D

Deleted-246289

OP
SKJmin said:
mjaoune said:
luckwii said:

I don't think so...
I have worked 6 months on it and EVEN I don't know the "80%"...
Not even the NSMBe Staff...

I don't know if you have played my hack already...
If yes, I'm sure you have realized the sick animations and puzzles which weren't even used in the original NSMB...
You can combine a lot of sprites together, to get a different result!

The editor is not for all, it is not so easy as you say, just make some levels and test them on your flashcard or an emu, you'll maybe understand what I mean...
The compatibility within the levels is not always the best...

I said that many times before, only 2 out of 10 starters complete the hack...
I'm sure it has to do with the difficulty not the time they have to reserve for thiat
wink.gif

@luckwii
I fully agree with you!
Well Actually I want people to try and make their own mario, but not as good as urs SKJmin, and actually u don't have to know 80% to hack.

SKJmin

Loved by few, hated by many, respected by all...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Turkey
Spenstar said:
SoulSnatcher said:
Treeki already made a NSMB editor.
mellow.gif

http://code.google.com/p/nsmb-editor/
I looked at the latest revisions of the editor and saw that my username were in a couple of the change logs.
blink.gif
I guess Dirbaio from JUL is implementing my suggestions of new ideas for the editor.
smile.gif

So...you're gonna be jailed too when they get caught
smile.gif

@mjaoune
As I said, not even I know 80% of the editor, and btw. I was using one of the first REV's always... (from beginning till end)
The newer ones haven't interest me
smile.gif

True, you can also make a complete Mario game when you only know 1% of the editor!
Adding an entrance, the flagpole, the castle, bosses and the views
smile.gif

Would be very boring but it would be still a Mario game! New Super Empty Bros. or New Super Mono Bros.
biggrin.gif

D

Deleted-246289

OP

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
mjaoune said:
Spenstar said:
SoulSnatcher said:
Treeki already made a NSMB editor.
mellow.gif

http://code.google.com/p/nsmb-editor/
I looked at the latest revisions of the editor and saw that my username were in a couple of the change logs.
blink.gif
I guess Dirbaio from JUL is implementing my suggestions of new ideas for the editor.
smile.gif
hahaha you are right man go to http://code.google.com/p/nsmb-editor/updates/list and then look at the fifth line
biggrin.gif
I lolled at this part.. How would they put you in jail anyways. It's a freeware program just to get the hang of programming, same as game maker lol
rofl.gif
They wouldn't put anyone in jail for just making it free.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey