1. PriMieon

PriMieon GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    I have a question. Do the BOOT0 AND BOOT1 FILES ever change?
    Should I back them up every time?
    And does my bis_key_03 ever change? after formatting or after a system update?

2. kimbra

OP kimbra Member
    Newcomer

United States
    From what I understand, you would want to save new BOOT0 & BOOT1 files if you’ve updated the firmware since your last backup. Maybe I’ll include that in the tutorial.

As for the keys, I believe firmware updates do not mess with those (at least, I’ve never had to dump the keys again after an update myself), but I can’t say about totally formatting the Switch either way. I’d assume they’re always the same, since they’re “console-specific” (perhaps tied to the hardware?), but I can’t say for sure.

3. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    BOOT0/BOOT1 change every firmware update. BIS keys are console-specific and are tied to the hardware.

kimbra likes this.
  4. PriMieon

PriMieon GBAtemp Regular

Germany

Yeah I think that info would be a great thing to add into the tutorial! Also info like "after system updates don't restore old RAW NAND files from the previous firmware as it will result in a bricked because the console checks if the firmware has been downgrade by the fuses blown inside the console." That's what I think would happen. I am not deep into the switch hacking scene. I'm waiting for a switch PRO and then I'll get into the scene with my old switch.

So after a firmware upgrade in which fuses get blown (I think Nintendo only blows a fuse in bigger updates. If you're 100% sure that there hasn't been a blown fuse from firmware A to B then you could downgrade without bricking your console. But perhaps Nintendo keeps online protocols of which switch has which firmware. If they see the switch with the unique console key ABC was on firmware 9.0.0 yesterday but today is on 8.2.1 then that might result in a ban. As this is a guide trying to dance around potential bans I think adding additional info on what could lead to the ban is a good thing.)

As said, I haven't been active in the switch hacking scene at all yet. All "hacking" I did so far was everything in this guide. So I don't know what Nintendo tracks or bans people for. But I think adding the information to backup a new BOOT0/BOOT1 after a system update is a good idea and to perhaps consider old NAND files of older firmware "obsolete" as Nintendo could possible see that the consoles firmware has been tampered with.

Dunno. Just trying to give ideas ><
    Not trying to tell you how you have to run things. Just consider this post as nothing as a piece of suggestion.
    Thank you so much for all the efforts you've put into all this thus far u.u

Last edited by PriMieon, Jun 22, 2020
  5. OmegaAngelo

OmegaAngelo Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I basically struggled through all but repacking on my own. Found this tutorial but UNFORTUNATELY

no edition of linked hactoolnet has either a --replacefile or --repack function listed
    It just throws an error

I found a modified version in one forum
    That has --replacefile but not repack
    (Can't link sorry)

I cannot get it to work however the damn .bat code is so finicky

I am trying to put my old cemu botw save on my new(old) ofw switch

Pls help am dying here

6. Shynd

Shynd Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I used the linked release of hactoolnet.exe to --replacefile a Pokemon Sword save just a few moments ago, it worked perfectly.

7. abk14459

abk14459 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    @kimbra
    Can I do this with a V2 switch with SX core?
    Here is what is different between V2 and your tutorial for unpatched switch

1) Can’t RCM so can’t use TegraRCM to use LockPick RCM(Instead I can use LockPick nro in homebrew to get prod.keys file on root )
    2) Don’t have access to hekate so I would have to back up and restore using SX menu (Not sure if backups are the same?)
    3) not sure if I need the sept folder ? If I do, I can just put it on root

With these changes, can I do the same thing? I’m still waiting on my sx core to arrive so can’t test it.

I was deeply disappointed when I learned I couldn’t use my old method of transferring saves from emunand to sysnand Using just HacDiskMount with switch nand mounted in TegraRCM with it connected wired and prod.keys file. Was a lot simpler than this tutorial but your tutorial gives me hope for the V2 switches with sx core installed

8. RedShadoww

RedShadoww Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Is this method less risky than using JKSV in CFW sysnand?

Edit: Never mind that was a dumb question. The entire point of the guide is to avoid going into CFW to edit your save file all together. Not sure how to delete my post.

Last edited by RedShadoww, Jun 30, 2020 at 9:15 PM
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - restoring, payloads, Switch