Edit contents of .dol file

cubes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would like to edit the .dol of a USB loader which contains hard coded splash screens that I would like to replace. Where do I start editing such a file?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are you sure it contains the splash screens or is it just a reference to them?

Dol files are typically the binary, that being what the CPU runs, with everything else being supposed to be left to external files. That said I have innumerable examples across any number of platforms where the devs included non executable data in the binary (it is so easy and so tempting when coding something).

They are somewhat related to the ELF format which is basically the non Microsoft equivalent of PE format (which you would most likely associated with EXE).
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Doltool https://wiibrew.org/wiki/DOL

That said if it is a hardcoded splash screen and you want to do graphics edits then I would instead use whatever tile editor you care to use (not sure what we are suggesting for the GC/Wii these days) and try to find it there.
There are any number of things from animations to tile maps that might make this edit harder but you still want to look for that.

Alternatively this may be a time you get to learn about tracing. As part of presumably the boot then in the graphics memory (which graphics viewers/texture viewers should show you) will appear the components of your splash screen.
In a debugging emulator (which can be harder for dolphin, might need to go for an older version), you would want to set a break on write to the memory area in question and then reset the game. When it loads back up with the data you want the emulator will hopefully have paused and said "this thing just wrote to it"
https://www.romhacking.net/documents/361/ is a bit old but the principle is the same. If indeed the splash screen is in the DOL file it will likely have read it directly from memory, if it is external you will need to follow that back up to the DVD read (or whatever).

Reactions: cubes

cubes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, I'm 100% sure since you can choose from 4 splash screens using the .xml file of the dol. Thanks for the reply I will totally look into that :)

cubes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay so I converted to .bin and .elf, but can't find any program to open/extract/view those.
Do you recommend any Tile viewer?
Btw I attached the original boot.dol that I'm trying to edit the images from. :) (Had to rename .dol extension to .txt or otherwise gbatemp wouldn't let me upload it)

Edit: I DID IT YAY
Unbenannt.PNG

Last edited by cubes,

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
U can compile your own forwarder with your own splash

Or if u prefer the manual way, I'm pretty sure if u look at the dol in a hex editor, u should find the splash screen image near the very end. I've successfully extracted splash screen images from dol's this way (but this was a forwarder with just 1 splash, not 4, so it may be harder for u to identify where each splash starts and ends). In theory u could open a new image in a hex editor, and copy and paste it overwriting the old splash section of the dol. I think they would need to be the same size though (or the new image might still work if it's smaller and u null out the left over values of the old splash).

So yeah, in theory it can be done with a hex editor, but it's probably just as much effort if not more than just recompiling it from the source code using a new splash

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father