edge vs r4ds

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by charlie0w, Jul 20, 2008.

Jul 20, 2008

edge vs r4ds by charlie0w at 6:32 AM (10,099 Views / 0 Likes) 31 replies

1. charlie0w
    OP

Newcomer charlie0w Newbie

Philippines
    im confused if what flash cart. should i use and why tnx

2. clubmania

Newcomer clubmania Newbie

United States
    Just seen that the R4DS with SDHC support with upto 32gb capicity is now out.
    A friend of mine has one with an 8gb SD card ..he got his from the US So yipeee can not wait to get my hands on one of these!
    I have looked around for one, and only place I found so far that will have them is www.tekphobia.co.uk The official R4DSHC website gives you more information.

3. Gab

Newcomer Gab Advanced Member

Hong Kong
    Go with EDGE. It is cheaper, supports SDHC and has all the features of the R4.
    The R4 is only popular because it was the cheap yet full-featured card of its time. Now I believe it has to pass that torch. [​IMG]

4. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    No such thing.

The R4 team clearly stated that they never released any SDHC compatible R4s.

Get the EDGE. It's a great cart.

5. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    The R4DS your friend bought is a Fake and will break within a year [​IMG]

6. hdofu

Member hdofu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You're so wrong, 8 months

7. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    Go with an EDGE card. It's better.

8. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Go for the EDGE card... it really is a master piece. Power performance and reliability... something that that the R4 doesn't have, especially reliability.

9. GameSoul

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    I don't think the R4 should be the first thing anyone wants to buy right now. I suggest the EDGE also.

10. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    But with the EDGE you can't use the RAM or rumble usng GBA ExpLoader. It's what's kind of putting me off getting one at the mo' and tipping the balance in favour of the DSTT.

11. roguetrip

Member roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, i'm guess your talking about the R4DS-III, my original R4DS has been great for over a year now and the spring still works just fine in it, only time it was opened was to solder the board from chinese to english since the chinese was only 25$ ATM.

The Real R4DS works great with the 3in1 Expansion card. The only downsides of this card is no SDHC support, and lack of kernel updates lately which hasn't been that much of a problem since there hasn't been many (USA) releases in last few months [​IMG] (good ones anyways)

EDIT: Even my GF's lil bros R4DS works great since x-mas and it was the revision with no spring just before all the fake n5 and R4DS-III's

12. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    No, he's talking about the R4.

He's talking about the Rom performance, and the Team's support. The R4s have stopped in production, there hasn't been a fix for numerous games out, and the team is refusing to make firmwares, because they know it's dead. If they could've fixed these games, and will not anytime soon, how come they didn't fix it 3 months ago? It's been 4 months since the last firmware, and there are 4 games I can name without even searching that doesn't work on the R4. No matter how much people deny the truth, it's already dead. There's no point of buying a dead cart at this point, just because it was once a great card.

Also, The EDGE is cheaper, and gets a fixes when there are games that don't work, SDHC support, etc, so technically, the one you quoted is correct.

13. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Why is this in gba - flashing hardware and software?

14. Uruha

Member Uruha GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Phew good thing i ordered the EGDE, just worried about how much itll stick out...
    but uh... so the R4-III are fakes? my friend just got one... it works fine and all though.

15. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    It shouldn't stick out too much that it makes a difference. Just a little amount, probably.

Also, yes, they are. They do have it's own firmware, but it's just a hacked version of the R4's firmware, thus meaning it's useless without the R4's support itself.

A funny thing is that the N5, another clone of the R4, gets its own firmwares. How ironic how the fake gets more and faster updates than the real deal.

16. Uruha

United States
    oh thanks for clearing that up [​IMG]
    and yea lol i guess they just care about selling the units

17. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    I suggest not getting the R4, there are plenty of flashcards out there that are far cheaper and have better support, compatibility and features. The R4 has stopped being manufactured which means that it has reached the end of its life. You can expect only minor updates if any at all from the R4 team though right now, it doesn't look promising.

Several games, even some that came out over a year ago don't work on the R4. Also many newer games coming out have problems on the R4 either not running the game at all or the game is extremely buggy and freeze often. Also games with the new save type are not supported on the R4 so any games coming out with the new save type will not save. Also there are a few homebrew apps that have trouble on the R4 as well.

The R4 overall, is extremely limited and buggy. The cheat system has many flaws and can cause games to freeze or simply nt work when using cheats on some games. Also a few cheat types are not supported leaving you with a good many cheats not working on the R4. Also the R4 limits the number of cheats and games that gets displayed on the cheats page.

So basically, the R4 is on life support ans has been for quite a long time now. Many newer flashcards have surpassed the R4 in many ways, including compatibility. The R4 is showing its age, thanks to hardware limitations (The R4 Firmware not being flashable), features like SDHC support and many others can never be added. The R4 was a fine cart when it first came out, but now its just an old, over prices flashcard.

I also want to know that the R4 has many clones as well, some supporting SDHC cards. These are not enhanced R4s nor improved, they simply had the hardware added to support SDHC cards while the loader/firmware they use is the exact same as the real R4DS byte to byte. This means that the clones have the same problems of the real R4DS and if the R4DS stops getting updated, so will the clones. So the R4 Upgrade V2, N5, R4DS III and so on are just all cheat knockoffs and should be avoided at all costs as the R4 Team is planning one last update that will brick the clones and possibly the DS that they are on.

18. Uruha

United States
    i think bricking one's ds is a little extreme.

19. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    stick with the EDGE .

R4DS has soo many fakes and the firmware won't be updated . don't forget to read the review of the EDGE here at GBAtemp to know about it's features !
    EDGE got a Gold Award aswell =P

oh and don't forget to give your friends a headsup on updating his R4DS . They say that the new firmware (getting released in September) will brick your DS if you use a Fake R4 and that firmware . wouldn't want that happening would you ...

20. Uruha

United States
    so as long as he doesnt get the new update hes fine? ok thanks [​IMG]