OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
edgeslot1.gif
A new version of the EDGE OS has been released, among other fixes this release should enable skinning support!

[title:Changelog] * Game compatibility fixes
* Skinning system enabled
* Japanese GUI translation added
* Moonshell soft reset support added (you must download Moonshell for EDGE Release 2 to take advantage of this)

icon11.gif
Source
download.gif
Download

Thanks to johnchan for the tip!

Mikhal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm that skinning works! Didn't even know this firmware was new. I got my Edge card from Dealextreme today, went to the official site to download it and saw this thread afterwards. I love that there's a skin chooser unlike the R4DS and the DSTT (only other flash carts I used). I used the CycloDS skins in case people were wondering...

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Still i never recieved an answer to my question!

Is there a way to update the Edge cheat database?
Will there ever be a tool to do this ?

Edge team never answered this question. I would love to see a tool to edit the cheat database, a tool like the cycloDS evo one

Mikhal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was the cheats contained in the Edge.dat or something in the old version? In this new firmware, the cheats are in it's own cheats.dat file in the Edge folder... I assume you just replace that?

rix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes, skinning works.
Just tested with new skins.

Moonshell soft reset does not work (works partially).
After soft reset, I get to see the top screen only.
The touch screen with the menu icons stay black.

It's good to see there is an update of the OS.
smile.gif

CuriousG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is I've been waiting for dealextreme to get it back in stock for a while now. I've even signed up for the e-mails when it is back in stock and I have yet to see an e-mail. Is there another source that is somewhat comparable in price?

bballplaya210

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is I've been waiting for dealextreme to get it back in stock for a while now. I've even signed up for the e-mails when it is back in stock and I have yet to see an e-mail. Is there another source that is somewhat comparable in price?

Same here. I hope I can order one in 6 days like the site says. The only thing I didn't like about the Edge was that the skinning didn't work but now it has everything I want.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Was the cheats contained in the Edge.dat or something in the old version? In this new firmware, the cheats are in it's own cheats.dat file in the Edge folder... I assume you just replace that?

No, it always used the cheats.dat in the edge folder.
I just want a way to update the database with only cheats i want. therefor we need a cheat editor like R4/CycloDS evo has.

Ryjuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nice, it seems EDGE really can do big business if they bring more updates with new features in the future
smile.gif

Maybe a good choice after all for me not to purchase the Cyclo and wait how EDGE gonna do
smile.gif
After all they are nearly the same
tongue.gif

euphemism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice, it seems EDGE really can do big business if they bring more updates with new features in the future
smile.gif

Maybe a good choice after all for me not to purchase the Cyclo and wait how EDGE gonna do
smile.gif
tongue.gif

...minus the in-game menu with slow motion, LCD brightness adjustment, real-time save, and cheat toggling, a team that talks with it's customers and doesn't rip another team's product...and apparently doesn't have the same game compatibility.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smile.gif

smile.gif
tongue.gif

...minus the in-game menu with slow motion, LCD brightness adjustment, real-time save, and cheat toggling, a team that talks with it's customers and doesn't rip another team's product...and apparently doesn't have the same game compatibility.
At half the price.

Sounds like a deal to me.

And Sinkhead, I plan to.

Ryjuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
smile.gif

smile.gif
tongue.gif

That doesn't bother me at all, after all those (useless) features most of the people here include me never will use it. Yeah except the die-hards but for most people it still be useless. What the hell is fun about RTS and slow motion.... it just ruined the gameplay ed. and to pay more then the half for these "wonderfull" features? Nah, don't think so...

cyclo-fanboys really need to wake up, be realistic, the gap between the prices of the flashcards is very huge.... and what you get back is more then useless.....Indeed, it sounds very great if something has more then 100+ features, but what's the point if you never use it.....
wink.gif

sylux92

Trophies
Website
nbcustomwebsites.com
XP
Country
United States

No, it always used the cheats.dat in the edge folder.
I just want a way to update the database with only cheats i want. therefor we need a cheat editor like R4/CycloDS evo has.
I dont own an edge, but cant you use the r4 or cyclo editor to update the cheats, or are they specially encrypted for just the edge?

dudereno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*cough* supercard slot 2 clone *cough*

If you can edit the cheat data then it seems like this card may be worth a look as decent budget slot1 option.

Hyperlisk_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my CycloDS for the auto-DLDI patching. Does the EDGE support that too? I don't see it on the feature list... Unless I'm overlooking it...

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's all good. There are two types of buyers in the flash cart business, those who want in as cheap as possible and can pirate games as easily as possible, and those who are looking to pay more for a high quality card.
I think you're mistaken. Just because people don't want to pay 20-30USD extra for features they won't use doesn't make them "those who want in as cheap as possible". They just don't want to waste money.

QUOTE said:
I'm not bashing the EDGE, in fact I'm really liking it as far as my early tests are going, and it looks like a great alternative to things like the DSTT or R4, but the truth is, the CycloDS Evolution is in a different category, along with Supercard DS ONE, etc.
Supercard DS One is only 5USD more than the EDGE; thus I'd consider them in the same price-range.

I just got my CycloDS for the auto-DLDI patching. Does the EDGE support that too?
It does.

Giangsta

Trophies
XP
Country
i agree with Urza, i just use my R4 for 1 reason, and that is to play games.

I do agree with "those who want in as cheap as possible and can pirate games as easily as possible" because thats me =D

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for the custom cheat codes question, I have yet to succeed on that front. No luck with the R4 cheat editor or CycloDS Tools.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho